CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at getting new tires for my DD Mustang. Considering Continental Extreme Contact Sport or Firestone Firehawk Indy Tires. We get a lot of rain here so wet performance is important. Any experienced input appreciated.
Sponsored

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
Conti DWS06, I have them on mine and they are great in the rain. I had them on my 2011 300C and they are the best all season tire I have ever had.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Conti DWS06, I have them on mine and they are great in the rain. I had them on my 2011 300C and they are the best all season tire I have ever had.
While I agree DWS06 is a good tire, he's asking about summer ones (being in Louisiana) and both ECS and PS4S are significantly better in the rain than DWS06 as long as it isn't cold.

(I have set of DWS06 and PS4Ss together with few other sets of extreme performance summer tires, so have a bit of a comparison there)

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
While I agree DWS06 is a good tire, he's asking about summer ones (being in Louisiana) and both ECS and PS4S are significantly better in the rain than DWS06 as long as it isn't cold.

(I have set of DWS06 and PS4Ss together with few other sets of extreme performance summer tires, so have a bit of a comparison there)
I understand, BTW, I am in Lower Alabama, originally from Texas so similar climate as OP. Like you, my recommendations are based on personal experience. I have had nothing but bad experiences with both Firestone and Michelin. Granted, my last Michelin experience was 15 years ago.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CEHollier

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase

Agree. I have Nitto 555 G2 tires now and in the rain they are scary. And it rains here frequently. It does get to freezing here infrequently. I own a business and my wife and I work together. If it's very cold I hitch a ride with her so cold is never an issue.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I frequently forget that a lot of Mustang owners only drive them on weekends or nice weather days and spend most of their time in a garage. Ours is our only transportation and as such gets driven in all weather/climates hence my bias to a good high performance all season tire. These DWS06 provide all the performance/traction I need and this is the 3rd car I have run them on.

Yes, I am a DWS06 fanboy! :)

OP
OP
CEHollier

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Contis without a doubt. I would also consider PS4S as a summer tire with rain performance - they're magical in the rain (see avatar pic).
But for the money Contis.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Listen to Smokey613.
The slightly soft sidewall of the DWS06’s gives a great straightline hook and holeshot if your into that kind of driving.
DWS06 Wet weather performance regardless of temp is a Win Win tire.
It's simply worse tire than ECS in all conditions except cold and snow. So why ? As I much as I appreciate DWS06, I absolutely hate their soft sidewalls because they make car feel unstable and handle like crap. I run them because they're good compromise for colder season here short of winter tires (which I had set of for previous car, also Mustang).
But everyone has their own priorities and reasons for buying a fairly decent performance car so to each of their own.

Sponsored

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's simply worse tire than ECS in all conditions except cold and snow. So why ? As I much as I appreciate DWS06, I absolutely hate their soft sidewalls because they make car feel unstable and handle like crap. I run them because they're good compromise for colder season here short of winter tires (which I had set of for previous car, also Mustang).
But everyone has their own priorities and reasons for buying a fairly decent performance car so to each of their own.
You are correct about a softer ride which for me works great. I am not tracking it or running at drag strip, been there done that. They provide enough performance for my needs without jarring my teeth out. They do not feel unstable to me. Like everything in this world, it’s all subjective.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
going from Goodyear Supercar 3 to the DWS06 was quite noticeable but short of driving like a psychopath, they do just fine when I feel like chucking the Camaro into corners whatever the weather.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've been extremely happy with the performance of the Indy 500 in all non-winter weather. I love them for a DD tire. I'm sure the Conti is probably a bit better, just like I know the PSS is. For the price the Indy is hard to beat. They wear like iron too.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OP what are you looking to spend? If cost is a consideration than the Firestone’s are a great choice. If cost is not a consideration then go with the Conti’s. There are others of course, but these are the two you asked about.

You can also checkout Tire Rack for good information and reviews.