Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT PP1 vs lowered Celica

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I pulled up to a red light where a lowered Celica was waiting. I could tell this was no ordinary Celica. It was lowered with gold rims and complementary avocado launcher exhaust out the back. As I sat there waiting on the light to turn green the tension rose. Finally the light turned green, and we took off. I barely stayed ahead of him, and I could tell the Celica was giving all it had by the sound of angry bees I could hear swarming to my right. Thankfully I stayed ahead of him as my trusty 10 speed shifted at a lofty 2800 rpm. About a mile down the road while I was basking in joy due to my triumph over such a worthy adversary, he came screaming by me in the traditional ricer flyby. It was disheartening to say the least, and I hope you guys forgive me for allowing the Mustang name to be tarnished by a Celica. And if you happen to hear about this on a Celica forum tell him congratulations. It was a noble victory.
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I pulled up to a red light where a lowered Celica was waiting. I could tell this was no ordinary Celica. It was lowered with gold rims and complementary avocado launcher exhaust out the back. As I sat there waiting on the light to turn green the tension rose. Finally the light turned green, and we took off. I barely stayed ahead of him, and I could tell the Celica was giving all it had by the sound of angry bees I could hear swarming to my right. Thankfully I stayed ahead of him as my trusty 10 speed shifted at a lofty 2800 rpm. About a mile down the road while I was basking in joy due to my triumph over such a worthy adversary, he came screaming by me in the traditional ricer flyby. It was disheartening to say the least, and I hope you guys forgive me for allowing the Mustang name to be tarnished by a Celica. And if you happen to hear about this on a Celica forum tell him congratulations. It was a noble victory.
Not sure if you know what a ricer flyby is.

it’s when a riced our car LOSES and the race is over, so you either resume legal speeds or stop, but the rice driver keeps going full throttle so he can try to claim victory.

your story isn’t clear. Either you lost in the top end or you won, and he flew by after you stopped.

that said, if your stock, anything can happen. But if you added turbos to your car, it’s game over for just about any car on the road.

all it really takes for any car to be fast is a giant turbo. Takes a sec to spool, but once it does... still, it’s only working with so much engine.

there was a guy in my city with a modded Cobalt. Stupid looking car, and I laughed at his desire to race, but it was really fast. Faster than his his Camaro. So he wanted to race my Cobra. I was in a bit of shock as it stayed with me from second to midway through third, but about halfway through third, the cobalt was eating dust. Once I grabbed 4th, it was bus lengths behind. The big turbo did all it could with the setup it was part of, but it would be better suited serving s DOHC V8 in a mustang.

He’s a pretty cool guy, but he did the ricer flyby after he lost and he nearly got into a wreck.

Last edited:
OP
OP

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If you use your definition of a ricer flyby you got it.

I was hoping that the ‘shifting at a lofty 2800 rpm’ wording may clue folks in on the situation. The keyword to think about while reading the post is sarcasm, except for the ricer flyby.

There really should be a sarcasm font.

I understand about turbo cars, and this thing wasn’t one, believe me. I had a friend that put about 60k into a civic with engine swap, turbo, etc, and that thing was fast. He had a hard time getting traction off the line without slicks but when it got going it would pin you back hard. It was also the best sounding 4cylinder I have ever heard. It sounded like a v8 idling which i would have never believed without hearing it. It initially had a big fart can on the back and I messed with him about it (a lot). I think it may be the reason he changed it .

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe my sarcasm meter is better? I saw the line about the 'lofty' shift and I figured it was just a normal take off from a light. Sure there are some fast imports - usually smaller and lighter - but you can almost always tell the difference simply from the sound. Thing is though - not many are quick from stop light to stop light. I'm not talking street racing. Simply that boosted and higher HP FWD's struggle with traction and real street tires can make it laughable. I helped a friend years ago with a cobbled together old Civic DX hatch. That thing weight nothing. With junkyard / scratched together turbo setup and a rough tune from a guy who knows a bit about Hondas - that thing was a riot. It also would wheel hop so bad on street tires we kept waiting for engine to launch itself out of the car. Now the Pinto wagon he had with a Tbird Super Coupe 2.3 drivetrain that had been beefed a bit was so fun it was addictive.

OP
OP

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Maybe my sarcasm meter is better? I saw the line about the 'lofty' shift and I figured it was just a normal take off from a light. Sure there are some fast imports - usually smaller and lighter - but you can almost always tell the difference simply from the sound. Thing is though - not many are quick from stop light to stop light. I'm not talking street racing. Simply that boosted and higher HP FWD's struggle with traction and real street tires can make it laughable. I helped a friend years ago with a cobbled together old Civic DX hatch. That thing weight nothing. With junkyard / scratched together turbo setup and a rough tune from a guy who knows a bit about Hondas - that thing was a riot. It also would wheel hop so bad on street tires we kept waiting for engine to launch itself out of the car. Now the Pinto wagon he had with a Tbird Super Coupe 2.3 drivetrain that had been beefed a bit was so fun it was addictive.[/QUO

Yeah those front wheel drives definitely have weight transfer issues. Kind of funny because my friends civic was a DX as well. Super light and gutted. It’s crazy he sunk that much money into it, but once he was happy with it he sold it off part by part to recoup some of the money. For whatever reason he wanted to say he beat a lot of ‘fast’ cars with a civic. Craziest thing was that he maxed out his credit cards to pay for it. I never said anything of course because it’s his life, etc. but I would have never put 60k into a civic. Now if I was ultra rich I would put money into building sleepers to shock folks, but that would be just play money in that situation.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase

I was hoping that the ‘shifting at a lofty 2800 rpm’ wording may clue folks in on the situation. The keyword to think about while reading the post is sarcasm, except for the ricer flyby.

I understand about turbo cars, and this thing wasn’t one, believe me. I had a friend that put about 60k into a civic with engine swap, turbo, etc, and that thing was fast. He had a hard time getting traction off the line without slicks but when it got going it would pin you back hard. It was also the best sounding 4cylinder I have ever heard. It sounded like a v8 idling which i would have never believed without hearing it. It initially had a big fart can on the back and I messed with him about it (a lot). I think it may be the reason he changed it .
$60k in a Civic, holy money pit Batman. Not something I would do but it's cool to see those cars when they are built right.

OP
OP

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
$60k in a Civic, holy money pit Batman. Not something I would do but it's cool to see those cars when they are built right.
Yeah he sent it out to California to have the block fully sleeved, etc. Everything was upgraded to only the best. He was a single guy with a good IT job, and it seemed to be his only hobby. But I agree, 60k in a civic is crazy to me.
To each his own I guess.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase

Yeah those front wheel drives definitely have weight transfer issues. Kind of funny because my friends civic was a DX as well. Super light and gutted. It’s crazy he sunk that much money into it, but once he was happy with it he sold it off part by part to recoup some of the money. For whatever reason he wanted to say he beat a lot of ‘fast’ cars with a civic. Craziest thing was that he maxed out his credit cards to pay for it. I never said anything of course because it’s his life, etc. but I would have never put 60k into a civic. Now if I was ultra rich I would put money into building sleepers to shock folks, but that would be just play money in that situation.
You can still build cheap sleepers. And when I say "sleepers" I mean REAL sleepers. Some of the best fun I've ever had with a project car wasn't my own - it was a friend's car. GM G-Body Buick Wagon. Gifted to him. Complete with fake wood paneling. We swapped a 500 Caddy / Turbo 400 in that thing and it was a RIOT. Between four of us we have multiple fast drivers / project cars and time and time again we'd ALL load into that thing and about piss ourselves laughing at the reactions to drivers of fast cars who would watch the wagon walk them from the a stop light. 2.73 gears, mild converter, airbag stuffed in a rear spring and over 500 ft/lbs of torque at 2800RPMS (not a typo) was a ROCKET Ship off the line.

Back then there wasn't a big aftermarket for the 500 Caddy. All we did was replace the factory 4 barrel cast iron intake with an Edelbrock Performer (the only intake we could find back then and I swear that was worth 100lbs. I'm NOT a small guy and the factory 500 cast iron intake was so heavy I thought we'd left a bolt in when I tried to remove it the first time ), rebuilt / tuned the Qjet, replaced the valve springs (stock Caddy springs floated pretty much off idle LOL) and a set of cobbled together headers using stock Caddy flanges and two old Hooker "Build a header" kits. We even had two turbo muffler on each side so it wasn't loud AT ALL.

OP
OP

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You can still build cheap sleepers. And when I say "sleepers" I mean REAL sleepers. Some of the best fun I've ever had with a project car wasn't my own - it was a friend's car. GM G-Body Buick Wagon. Gifted to him. Complete with fake wood paneling. We swapped a 500 Caddy / Turbo 400 in that thing and it was a RIOT. Between four of us we have multiple fast drivers / project cars and time and time again we'd ALL load into that thing and about piss ourselves laughing at the reactions to drivers of fast cars who would watch the wagon walk them from the a stop light. 2.73 gears, mild converter, airbag stuffed in a rear spring and over 500 ft/lbs of torque at 2800RPMS (not a typo) was a ROCKET Ship off the line.

Back then there wasn't a big aftermarket for the 500 Caddy. All we did was replace the factory 4 barrel cast iron intake with an Edelbrock Performer (the only intake we could find back then and I swear that was worth 100lbs. I'm NOT a small guy and the factory 500 cast iron intake was so heavy I thought we'd left a bolt in when I tried to remove it the first time ), rebuilt / tuned the Qjet, replaced the valve springs (stock Caddy springs floated pretty much off idle LOL) and a set of cobbled together headers using stock Caddy flanges and two old Hooker "Build a header" kits. We even had two turbo muffler on each side so it wasn't loud AT ALL.
Nice, that does sound like a fun time. The sleeper I best remember was my brother-in-law’s. This was back in the mid/late 80’s. He had an old CJ-7 Jeep with a hopped up grand national engine that my father built for him. It was full time 4wd and that thing would scoot off the line. Many fast cars were embarrassed by this Jeep. I was in it one night when he took out this IROC-Z. Was the funniest thing seeing the look on that guys face.

Sleepers are my favorite :)

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

LOL. OK. got it.
I did see the RPM by thick skull still didn’t catch the sarcasm.

gotta love the rice mentality.
Sponsored