Sponsored

Crankcase Breather Filters

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Is it beneficial to install two crankcase breathers on my FBO N/A 5.0? That way, nothing can gum up the intake manifold and throttle body. I already have a JLT 1.0 catch can on the passenger side, but I'd replace that with a filter.

Also, would it have any detrimental effects on the motor and/or emissions monitors?

I'm essentially done with mods with the season, so I figured I'd do what I can to improve my motor.
Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Is it beneficial to install two crankcase breathers on my FBO N/A 5.0? That way, nothing can gum up the intake manifold and throttle body. I already have a JLT 1.0 catch can on the passenger side, but I'd replace that with a filter.

Also, would it have any detrimental effects on the motor and/or emissions monitors?

I'm essentially done with mods with the season, so I figured I'd do what I can to improve my motor.

I was going to put a catch can on each side, but guys I’ve talked to that have done it say that while the passenger side catch’s quite a bit the drivers side catches absolutely nothing, so doesn’t seem worth while. So just a filter on the passenger side would probably be a bad idea, as far as putting a filter on the drivers side I have no idea what that would do, maybe a massive vacuum leak idk.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT

Just one needed on an n/a, it does help up top on the rpm's. A CFM one, or anyone with the one way ball valve inside and breather placed on the passenger side is only one you need...like the catch cans, anything on the drivers side is a waste of money and time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Just one needed on an n/a, it does help up top on the rpm's. A CFM one, or anyone with the one way ball valve inside and breather placed on the passenger side is only one you need...like the catch cans, anything on the drivers side is a waste of money and time.
So you’d put the breather on the passenger PCV valve and cap off the intake manifold nipple?

Sponsored

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
So you’d put the breather on the passenger PCV valve and cap off the intake manifold nipple?
No. Check out the UPR breather that replaces the oil cap on the passenger side valve cover. That's all ya need.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
No. Check out the UPR breather that replaces the oil cap on the passenger side valve cover. That's all ya need.
That one does not keep oil out of intake. Pop the check valve out of passenger pcv. Cap off nipple and add your 10 dollar filter. Simple, easy, effective.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
That one does not keep oil out of intake. Pop the check valve out of passenger pcv. Cap off nipple and add your 10 dollar filter. Simple, easy, effective.
Nobody said they keep oil out of the intake, they are not used for that, a catch can is used to do that job. A breather is only used to relieve crankcase pressure/blow by to keep the rings from rattling at high rpm's. And on the coyote I'd only put a breather on the passenger side, anything placed on the drivers side is a total waste of time and money on a n/a engine.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Nobody said they keep oil out of the intake, they are not used for that, a catch can is used to do that job. A breather is only used to relieve crankcase pressure/blow by to keep the rings from rattling at high rpm's.
Why not do both...? No need for catch. lol

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Why not do both...? No need for catch. lol
You still need a catch can on the passenger side too. All DI engines do, some more than others. My Ecoboost engines actually catch way more oil than the catch can on my coyote, because the Ecoboost is boosted...but I do catch a small amount of oil in the one of my 5.0 L...but its not much. I had one on the drivers side for approx 1k miles, the inside of the catch can was bone dry, so I took it off and re-sold it. On an n/a coyote, nothing is needed on the drivers side at all...
Sponsored