Sponsored

What's a valve cover/do I want the dealership touching it?

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My car's at 3400 miles and sprouted an oil leak. Dealer said the oil filter worked itself loose. And won't happen again.

I also asked them to put in the oil filler neck (that goes up from the block to the plastic engine cover) that my car seems to have been missing from the factory.

They said they can't just order that part. They said my engine was misassembled and they're rush-ordering a new valve cover and are pretty sure/hoping it'll have that piece attached with it.

I have no idea how complicated a procedure this might be, like how much stuff has to be disconnected and reconnected, and whether I want it done or not.

I'm not a mechanic but I guess this means temporarily exposing the valves atop the cylinders but not opening up the cylinders themselves?

Wondering if I can do without it and still get it easily refilled with oil, or maybe I want it because possibly I got a valve cover that was not designed for my engine?

Apologies, I'm torqued and OCD about this because I custom ordered this car and plan to keep it for 10 years.

(That "made with pride by the UAW" sticker on my back window is coming off now! :explode:)

Missing Oil Filler Neck.jpg
Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Its an oil filler neck, you'll be fine. Valve covers are easy breezy even if they have to take it off. I had mine replaced because it cracked and was leaking oil, no big deal.

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What for your own good said, super easy stuff, can't believe it made it out of the factory like that.... QC person= fired... Lol

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think it’s hilarious no one caught that at the dealer. You probably have a 1 of 1 GT with that configuration. Lol

I would also just leave it. It’s a factory sealed engine and I wouldn’t change that over something that simple. Good talking point at car shows.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Such an oversight may bring 5k later, or not.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Leave it just like it is. Its got a fill cap on it, and there is no reason to tap into a perfectly good engine.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I think it’s hilarious no one caught that at the dealer. You probably have a 1 of 1 GT with that configuration. Lol

I would also just leave it. It’s a factory sealed engine and I wouldn’t change that over something that simple. Good talking point at car shows.
I've seen others mention it missing too.

Deleted member 35644

How do you finish up an engine assembly and not notice that? That must be a mind-numbing job.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Oh c’mon now, such a fuss over that?:crackup:

Hand eye coordination.... Remove the oil cap and when you pour, just pour into the center of that intake cover hole and it will hit your target below... maybe.

What for your own good said, super easy stuff, can't believe it made it out of the factory like that.... QC person= fired... Lol
How do you finish up an engine assembly and not notice that? That must be a mind-numbing job.
Doesn’t surprise me with the piss poor Quality Control coming out of Flat Rock since the inception of the S550. It’s like they don’t have ANY QC or final assembly inspections at all. Management and the line assembly there needs a thorough cleansing because if nothing has improved in almost 5 model years, there’s a big problem.

Deleted member 35644

I'm afraid I'd be inclined to leave it, although looking at that picture kicks my OCD into overdrive. More than a few dealerships I've dealt with have made things worse during their ham-fisted disassembly / reassembly procedures. I rather use a funnel to fill the oil, than end up with a leaking valve cover.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Why do they need to change the valve cover? I thought the extension pipe and the fill cap were interchangeable? Remove the cap, add the extension, put the cap on the extension. Or am I wrong?

Or take off the hideous engine cover and you'll have easy access to the oil fill cap.
But like others said, leave the valve cover alone. The less the service tech's touch your car, the better.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
StangTime is correct. The extension neck uses the same threading as the filler cap. When the new valve cover comes in tell them to pop it off of that part and it will screw right on to your existing valve cover. I've had mine off so I speak from experience. Sounds to me like the service department at your dealership is trying to drum up some warranty work and get Ford to pay for it. Wouldn't be the first time...
Sponsored