Sponsored

Did I make the wrong decision?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It never fails some dumbass on a hill at the red light will pull up right behind you and be about 3" off your rear bumper.
Assuming it's not a crazy steep hill, all you need to do is let out the clutch enough to 'bog' the motor a fraction (on the EB the ECU will actually add fuel to keep from stalling) and that will hold the car long enough for you to switch from brake to gas. On steeper hills one just uses the emergency brake to hold the car and as soon as the clutch is partially engaged, just let go the hand brake.

If you don't have the techniques down pat, go find a place to practice an essential driving skill.

If "engagement" is what you're looking for a paddle-shift car is probably not what the doctor ordered. But if your traffic and usage are not conducive to MT, then it probably doesn't matter that the car only comes in DCT.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MadMax

MadMax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Antimatter Blue GT500 CFTP
I appreciate all of your comments. I’m going to see if I can drive a 350 and then I hope I can make a determination from there.

Tom Im not trying to debate the manual/ DCT ordeal again was only trying to get opinions from those that have driven both and their experiences and opinions of the driving experience with both. I can’t speak for the DCT because I’ve never driven a car with one.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hack: Different strokes, as they say but for me, it would be the daily driving that sours me on a manual. Not that I drive my first and only Mustang daily, most definitely not. It's a '14 with 8400 miles.

And, I don't think I will miss "banging gears" in the new vehicle either because the paddles will do the job just fine and hopefully, no clutches to replace.

As I say, different strokes.
I was just trying to answer the OP's question. I wasn't trying to say manuals are better or anything like that. They may be preferred by some, but they are definitely hated by many.

Personally for me, I live in a city of 904,000 people and there's no way on earth that I would ever buy a "manual" tranny. It never fails some dumbass on a hill at the red light will pull up right behind you and be about 3" off your rear bumper. For the reason that we live in a world of dumbasses I will never own a manual in the city. Maybe if I lived in a small town but even then I doubt it.
Never really learned how to drive a manual, huh? It's ok.

The third pedal debate is back again, huh?
I hope not - like I said, just trying to answer the question posed by the OP. I think very few people will buy the GT500 as a daily driver, so even those that really love manuals will never get tired of the DCT in the GT500.

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
I owned a 2016 BMW M2 before my 2016 GT350R ; the M2 was daily driver and also occasional track day car. Car was super smooth as a daily driver and very fast at the track. A properly setup DCT makes the car feel more motorsport in my opinion (911 GT3 being the benchmark). Since you stated you are daily driving the car, I would go GT500 for sure. Combination of the low end torque and manual shifts via the paddles will be more enjoyable on the street versus the GT350. And if you just want to put around one handed and cruise, you can leave the transmission alone and it will do so smoothly. Plus, I believe the GT500 allows you to pull both paddles to switch into neutral and release back into gear, as it does on the porsche 911 GT3, an awesome feature allows for more driver control with manual shifts (and to just rev the engine for fun!)

Tim_bits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timmer
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram and 2020 GT500
I loved my little manual Subaru for some spirited dirt road driving but it was an absolute chore to drive in Minneapolis on a daily basis. The convenience of an automatic for city driving is huge for me.
Plus my wife is really bad at a manual so my designated driver would be gone with a GT350.
Sponsored