Dilemma...’15 GT 6M weekend car or 18+ A10 daily

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
I recently purchased my minty ‘15 GT 6M convertible with 5k miles that I use as my weekend joy ride. My wife had mentioned that she could see herself in one as a daily driver to replace her Acura ILX. It is HIGHLY unlikely that we would have 2 mustangs. My daily is an AWD Suv company car. We live in the Midwest and get all 4 seasons of weather. We also have 2 children that are involved in activities.

My question is, if we were to sell both my mustang and the Acura to get an 18+ A10 in the spring, would that be a big mistake? Not in terms of performance, I’m really impressed with the A10 and would be willing to make that “compromise” from my manual car. I’m talking about “mistake” in the sense of it being a daily, would it get annoying for a “soccer” mom? We would also get a coupe, which I prefer the look. The biggest question mark is whether the tighter seating space of the Mustang would get annoying for daily use and how about in light snow or heavy rains?

Luckily, my wife works from home and rarely gets into a situation where she would be forced to go out in really bad weather. More so, it’s about lugging kids around and the practicality of it. One quick annoyance I found from mine is that you have to use the power seat feature to bring the seat forward so rear passengers can get in and out. Not a big deal here and there but I do worry about it on the daily. Another note, my wife maybe drives 10k per year, we take my SUV on the weekends, usually.

Thanks in advance for your experiences and feedback!
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I recently purchased my minty ‘15 GT 6M convertible with 5k miles that I use as my weekend joy ride. My wife had mentioned that she could see herself in one as a daily driver to replace her Acura ILX. It is HIGHLY unlikely that we would have 2 mustangs. My daily is an AWD Suv company car. We live in the Midwest and get all 4 seasons of weather. We also have 2 children that are involved in activities.

My question is, if we were to sell both my mustang and the Acura to get an 18+ A10 in the spring, would that be a big mistake? Not in terms of performance, I’m really impressed with the A10 and would be willing to make that “compromise” from my manual car. I’m talking about “mistake” in the sense of it being a daily, would it get annoying for a “soccer” mom? We would also get a coupe, which I prefer the look. The biggest question mark is whether the tighter seating space of the Mustang would get annoying for daily use and how about in light snow or heavy rains?

Luckily, my wife works from home and rarely gets into a situation where she would be forced to go out in really bad weather. More so, it’s about lugging kids around and the practicality of it. One quick annoyance I found from mine is that you have to use the power seat feature to bring the seat forward so rear passengers can get in and out. Not a big deal here and there but I do worry about it on the daily. Another note, my wife maybe drives 10k per year, we take my SUV on the weekends, usually.

Only you can make that decision. No offense, but this sounds more like a justification thread.

If you drive a Mustang for a daily, you get used to the power and handling of the car. This is a good thing in the sense that you know how to drive the car. It's a bad thing in the sense that the Mustang doesn't feel as special when you drive it because you drive it so often. These Mustangs were never meant to seat 4 people. They only seat 4 in case of emergencies, because it's a legacy at this point, and insurance classification. The car does fine in any type of weather besides snow and floods. Floods because it sits so low to the ground and snow because it sits so low to the ground and the tires are either summer or all season. With a proper set of snow tires, this car has NO trouble going through snow as long as it isn't a big snow storm as the front end will start to plow snow if there's too much snow on the ground.

OP
OP

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that it’s a personal choice and as I was typing, was thinking to myself, I hope this doesn’t come across as a justification thread, haha. I’m literally 50/50 at most on it. I’m perfectly happen with our current setup. Hoping to find people that do daily their cars with kids (and not the “my kids are in the car once a week”) and what that experience has been like.

Reactions: Ebm

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt you will enjoy a Mustang as a DD if you are hauling kids and related gear. Ours is a pain when we have visitors as these back seats are basically useless except to store a small cooler or other small misc items. If I could find a rear seat delete kit for a ‘vert, I would already have it installed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I doubt you will enjoy a Mustang as a DD if you are hauling kids and related gear. Ours is a pain when we have visitors as these back seats are basically useless except to store a small cooler or other small misc items. If I could find a rear seat delete kit for a ‘vert, I would already have it installed.
Thanks for the input! I had this feeling. And my wife would be the first to complain about annoyances. Sounds like we are best suited to stick with the “stable” we have...maybe a CTS-V down the road. Lol.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
One quick annoyance I found from mine is that you have to use the power seat feature to bring the seat forward so rear passengers can get in and out. Not a big deal here and there but I do worry about it on the daily. Another note, my wife maybe drives 10k per year, we take my SUV on the weekends, usually.

There is a quick release on the back of the seat just under the headrest. Passengers would have to be small to carry two.

J_Herb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I daily mine and take my oldest (7) to school in it each morning and other activities once or twice a week. We do run errands as a family from time to time on the weekend as well. From my experience, it is a bit cumbersome with folding the seats and getting the boys into their car seats, oldest is in a booster and has the seat belt mastered, youngest (4) can climb into his seat himself but needs help buckling in and getting out. As for space I've had the occasional complaint from the oldest when my wife puts the seat back to far or he has trouble with pushing the seat forward, the handle on the back of the seat is a bit finicky at times. These are things I'm willing to live with and have gotten easier over time, plus the exhaust note and family memories we are making in the car are worth it.

Since you already have a Mustang, I'd recommend your wife do a trial run for a week or two where the Acura isn't used and see how you/she fairs. If she likes the car that much and is willing to live with "quarks" of a 2 door then go for it.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....My wife had mentioned that she could see herself in one as a daily driver to replace her Acura ILX.......get an 18+ A10 in the spring, would that be a big mistake?.......in the sense of it being a daily......and how about in light snow or heavy rains?....my wife works from home and rarely gets into a situation where she would be forced to go out in really bad weather......
I'll never get this;

Do you believe there is some innate reason a Mustang would be worse in snow or rain than the ILX? Even in "really bad weather", do you think a Mustang can't handle it as well as the ILX?

Setting aside this point, I'd suggest sticking with the ILX for DD duties with 2 kids.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
The car isn’t too bad if you’re hauling 3 people since the passenger side gets you more leg room (no steering column). I do it all the time.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The back seat works nicely on the convertible because entry and exit are much easier with the top down. It's nor a big deal to lower and raise it in cold weather, only takes a few extra seconds. More head room, too. I have been driving rear wheel drive cars in the winter for many years. It just takes some decent snow tires. My experience is most winter driving problems occur trying to stop and no matter what you drive, you have 4 wheels for stopping.

When I have to pick up grandkids, they always want to ride in the convertible, not one of our other cars.
Sponsored