Idea, a 4 Door Mustang.

What do you guys think?

• Total voters

6String

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Actually, it has been done--as a design exercise. The current Mustang has design cues inherited from the Evos concept. Doors closed, the Evos looks very much like a 2-door sports coupe. But it was designed as a 4-door vehicle. The design is not cluttered, and flows pretty well front to back. If the Evos had been presented as a new Mustang, I think it might have been received pretty well--depending on performance options. I am not sure how practical the doors were, or if they would have passed safety regulations. But the Evos does illustrate that a 4-door does not have to look like a Crown Vic.

It all boils down to design execution. Why doesn't the Camaro lead the pack in sales? It is just my opinion, but to me the Gen5 was a better execution of cohesive design. (Translation: the Gen6 has a face only its owner can love.) There are design elements that look (trying to be kind) awkward. Other elements look good depending on the viewing angle. Taken in total--it doesn't work as a package. (Just me, the best looking new generation Camaro was the 2015 Z/28. Right stance. Right sound. Wrong price.)

There is nothing wrong with 4-door performance. Auto designers worth their salary can make it happen. GM's designers did an excellent job with the Buick Avista concept. I liked what Ford designers did with the Evos. It was pretty creative. That said--it's always the cost that determines what actually makes it to production. In my opinion, the current Camaro would sell much better if the current car looked more like the Buick Avista concept, rather than as a 7/8 scale version of the Gen5. If Ford offered a 4-door Mustang with a design that was as visually appealing as the Evos, I do think it would sell. A 4-door Mustang that looked more like a Escape than the Evos, however, is a non-starter.
Sponsored

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
There is nothing wrong with 4-door performance. Auto designers worth their salary can make it happen. GM's designers did an excellent job with the Buick Avista concept. I liked what Ford designers did with the Evos. It was pretty creative. That said--it's always the cost that determines what actually makes it to production. In my opinion, the current Camaro would sell much better if the current car looked more like the Buick Avista concept, rather than as a 7/8 scale version of the Gen5. If Ford offered a 4-door Mustang with a design that was as visually appealing as the Evos, I do think it would sell. A 4-door Mustang that looked more like a Escape than the Evos, however, is a non-starter.
I was really hoping for the Buick Avista to come to light. It is more my speed, Design Comfort and Performance, without being a Cadillac. I have always bought GM, never owned anything other than GM... Other than my mom had an 84 Crown Vic I leaned to drive in, and my dad has a 29 Model A, but otherwise my family since I have been born was a GM family... When GM dropped the ball on the Avista, the 6th gen Camaro was a disaster for design, there is no getting around the awfulness of getting in and out of or sitting in it, and the icing on the cake was GM said they would not give Buick a performance luxury coupe, I gave GM the middle finger and got the Mustang... Granted it is not a luxury, but I got the Design and Performance part And it is comfortable, reasonably quiet too...

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
hard for me to visualize where this would fall in to the many suv's they have now and with the new bronco and baby bronco what slot would it fit in?
the problem is they are trying to make a "suv-like" car from the mustang. they shouldn't mess with tradition, to the point of keep the mustang a true sports car but maybe add
electric all wheel drive to make it super fast and quick like the ferrari's or the porsche's etc....OR just dont make it all all if you are going to change the whole thing and go radical.
we already have 10 different suv's (exaggerated number, inserted for sarcasm) so why create another with the mustang name? or "mustang-esce" car like the mustang.
mustang will have its place just like the corvette does with GM, but let me say this....would anyone want a "4-door type" corvette to replace the corvette now? you would have a world wide coup if you do that....
look at edge ST or Explorer ST, performance in an SUV. i just dont want to have someone say " i just bought a mustang suv and its great!" because its not really a mustang then....(think tradition) it will be just another suv....

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
hard for me to visualize where this would fall in to the many suv's they have now and with the new bronco and baby bronco what slot would it fit in?
Into one remaining true sedan that would fall toward the middle of the four sedan lines that are being axed despite selling a few hundred thousand in total. Similar to Dodge's Charger, IOW a real sedan rather than a crossover.

Norm

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Into one remaining true sedan that would fall toward the middle of the four sedan lines that are being axed despite selling a few hundred thousand in total. Similar to Dodge's Charger, IOW a real sedan rather than a crossover.

Norm
I think Ford has made it very clear that’s not going to happen, at least with an IC engine. Could we see a four door full electric Mustang? Maybe but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Sponsored

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
I contend, maybe I have said it before, that I doubt we will see anything in the near future that says "Mustang" and is other than a 2 door coupe or convertible. They might take pieces and parts from a Mustang, IE suspension, drivetrain, or door handles, and use them on other vehicles, even possibly the platform itself.

I read somewhere that the next generation Mustang will share a few parts with the new RWD Explorer... Whether or not that is true will find out in a few years when Gen 7 is released.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium Performance Pack
I'd love a 4 door Mustang. But I suspect the hate from this thread is one reason why Ford's product planners haven't made it happen.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I'd love a 4 door Mustang. But I suspect the hate from this thread is one reason why Ford's product planners haven't made it happen.
Ford doesn't care what we say if they think it will sell they'll do it look at the 4 door Thunderbird and a station wagon Cougar.

Todd00000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I'd even like something like this.
main-qimg-6d1acffd2e00176c04d59726d78b2a64.jpeg

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
4 doors doesn't make much sense for a 2+2 car where back seat usage is pretty much limited to those who are young, small, or at least limber. Once you put 2 more doors of useful size on it and retain the long hood/short deck that's been the Mustang since day 1, you have to stretch the wheelbase so you might as well give the rear seat passengers more room. Congratulations, you've just built a 4-door sedan (the kind of car that Ford is in the process of not making any more of) and diluted the Mustang name in the process.

Ford doesn't have any other halo model to fall back on like Chevy would if they ever attempted a 4-door Camaro. And Dodge properly covered themselves with the Charger for 4-door duty.

Norm

93_SVT_3503

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2013 King Ranch Expedition, 1967 Ford Bronco half-cab, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 1967 F250 Highboy
This was just seen today. somewhat of a FrankenFocus.

ford-fusion-crossover-lifted-wagon-replacement-04.jpg
Sponsored