Sponsored

2018 Ecoboost - Malfunctioning/Dead Electronic Instrument Cluster

Ginger1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
About a month ago, the digital cluster in my '18 Ecoboost went blank. Disconnected the battery and reconnected. It came back to life.

Two weeks ago, it the cluster died again. I brought it to the dealer, who of course claimed they had no idea what I was talking about. Took me all of 30 seconds on Google to find out these clusters are becoming a major clusterf* - and not just Mustangs or 2018's. There's now a second recall for the '19's and also for some Lincolns that use this cluster.

Last week it died permanently. Brought it to the dealer who said they tried updating the firmware 4 times but cluster was still dead. Good news-the car is under warranty. Bad news - part is backordered with no ETA in sight. I called the 800 number and opened a case. A replacement was shipped the following day and dealer installed it yesterday (Friday). It is now a day later. The cluster is working, but miles are not adding up on the odometer. I drove around all day today, but the mileage is the same as when I got it back from the dealer. The rest of the dashboard seems to be functioning properly.

I don't want to drive around, racking up miles, and then having depreciation issues later when it's discovered the odometer is not working. Also, there could be other problems that I haven't noticed yet.

Now what? Reopen the case with Ford? Threaten a lemon law suit? I don't think they want to screw around with something that involves mileage, so I'd like to believe they will keep going until they fix it. On the other hand, some of the threads I've found on this issue and others on this site are not encouraging.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
About a month ago, the digital cluster in my '18 Ecoboost went blank. Disconnected the battery and reconnected. It came back to life.

Two weeks ago, it the cluster died again. I brought it to the dealer, who of course claimed they had no idea what I was talking about. Took me all of 30 seconds on Google to find out these clusters are becoming a major clusterf* - and not just Mustangs or 2018's. There's now a second recall for the '19's and also for some Lincolns that use this cluster.

Last week it died permanently. Brought it to the dealer who said they tried updating the firmware 4 times but cluster was still dead. Good news-the car is under warranty. Bad news - part is backordered with no ETA in sight. I called the 800 number and opened a case. A replacement was shipped the following day and dealer installed it yesterday (Friday). It is now a day later. The cluster is working, but miles are not adding up on the odometer. I drove around all day today, but the mileage is the same as when I got it back from the dealer. The rest of the dashboard seems to be functioning properly.

I don't want to drive around, racking up miles, and then having depreciation issues later when it's discovered the odometer is not working. Also, there could be other problems that I haven't noticed yet.

Now what? Reopen the case with Ford? Threaten a lemon law suit? I don't think they want to screw around with something that involves mileage, so I'd like to believe they will keep going until they fix it. On the other hand, some of the threads I've found on this issue and others on this site are not encouraging.
Are the trip 1 and trip 2 counters working? This could very well be a connector issue and not the panel. Either way you should bring it back to the dealer.

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I’ve never heard of a recall for the digital dash. Do you have the information regarding it?

Sponsored