Sponsored

Real Gains of Lighter Wheels?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
For future planning, I am looking at reducing weight wherever possible without reducing functionality of the car.

Wheels seem like the low hanging fruit. My car is a 16 GT PP, so the wheels are around 33lbs each if my research is correct. That’s super heavy and I feel like there’s plenty of times I can “feel” that weight in acceleration or cornering.

There are many options for aftermarket wheels that are in the 23-24lbs range. I FEEL like this would produce a noticeable difference, but I’m looking for input from anyone that has drastically reduced inspiring weight by changing wheels.

Please feel free to list any other benefits:
Quicker acceleration/braking
Improved handling
Running a squared setup/able to rotate tires
Less rotational mass = less strain on drivetrain

Thanks!
Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I went from the 20” OE wheels to 18” staggered HRE wheels that are 22-23 lbs. For normal driving the ride is slightly better which is more to side wall height than weight, but you can feel less weight mass as well. But other than that I can’t tell a difference. I’m sure it helps with acceleration and stopping, but it’s just not as obvious to the butt dyno.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
The c/d article supports the sum of all the mods to the R improvement....not just the wheels themselves.
Where the weight in the wheel is located is just as important as total weight.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
The c/d article supports the sum of all the mods to the R improvement....not just the wheels themselves.
Where the weight in the wheel is located is just as important as total weight.
i think they tried the same car carbon vs aluminim

Last edited:

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The most benefit to lighter wheels in acceleration time is at low speeds, where we have plenty of torque, so its not a big difference.

The suspension may ride ever so slightly softer, which I think I notice more than other differences

Mike702

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT
I went from the 20” OE wheels to 18” staggered HRE wheels that are 22-23 lbs.
I have the OEM 20's as well, do you have a weight for them?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I have the OEM 20's as well, do you have a weight for them?
My 20" factory wheels were about 36lbs. I went with SVE R350 wheels now that are 24lbs.

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
Brenspeed did a dyno run with stock wheels that were 19s if I remember correctly. Then they dynoed the same car with aftermarket 20s which were obviously heavier. The lighter wheels made more power. Was a significant amount too, dont recall exactly but the results were real. The video is on their website brenspeed.com

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I was going to go with lighter weight rotors up front as well, but it seems like the rear power gains would be seen by lowering the weight on the rear wheels and rotors, at least on a RWD car since they are directly connected to the rotating assembly. I've heard the biggest gains are through items such as drive shafts, half shafts, etc. I'm sure there's a more scientific explanation for this, but I believe this is how it works. haha On the other hand, lighter wheels and rotors up front would help with braking and suspension feel.

Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Unsprung weight and rotating mass, lighter the weight, the better everything.......acceleration, stopping, handling....

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Car and Driver also did another test of wheel upsizing. You should be able to find it with a Google search.

IIRC compared 15, 16, 17, 18, & 19 wheels. The bigger diameters were heavier and generally slower. Test was a little unfair in that the bigger diameter wheels often were wider and had wider tires, which had their own impact on weight and performance.

Lighter wheels are worth while. But it isn't a dramatic difference,. And unless you have money to burn, it probably not worth paying 3x to save a pound or two per wheel.

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
Brenspeed did a dyno run with stock wheels that were 19s if I remember correctly. Then they dynoed the same car with aftermarket 20s which were obviously heavier. The lighter wheels made more power. Was a significant amount too, dont recall exactly but the results were real. The video is on their website brenspeed.com
Aftermarket 20’s aren’t obviously heavier than factory 19’s. Mostly because aftermarket are of a different material and are geared towards performance. I have 19’s and most of the aftermarket 20’s I have been looking at are lighter. For example the Signature Wheels SV104’s in 20x10/11are lighter than my stock 19 x 8.5’s.
Sponsored