GT vs. EB high performance for city driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

XCRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
My thought process is why would you even care about low end torque in city driving? A Corolla’s performance will do just as well in traffic as a EB or GT.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Z_Rocks

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
My thought process is why would you even care about low end torque in city driving? A Corolla’s performance will do just as well in traffic as a EB or GT.
Funny you say that. I did a test drive of Corolla HB the other and during the test drive, I was in in city traffic and I said the exact thing to myself. For $22K it will do the job, but not for my weekend fun. So I started looking elsewhere.

I also test drove a Jetta GLI and was very surprised it's instant lowend TQ around 2000 RPM.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If part of you wants an eco, I’d test drive the Hpp eco and just see if you want more. I don’t have a hipo eco but I do have ford tuned eco, and I can’t say in anyway shape or form I’m let down. It’s a very satisfying push into my seat playing around and driving is snappy.

I just dyno’d my car today (mustang dyno) got 266hp and 374tq at wheels. But that would most likely be 292hp and 411tq on a dynojet.
Which falls in line with the 18 ford performance claim of 420tq

350tq bass + 70tq gain with 18+ ford perf tune.

if the hipo doesn’t knock yor socks, but gt. I wouldn’t jump straight to gt if you are considering both though without test driving Though.

Funny, I said if I ever got an mustang it would be gt. But my finances wasn’t able to get one and I found leftover grabber blue eco that fit my budget.

no regrets, not the slightest

OP
OP
Z_Rocks

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
If part of you wants an eco, I’d test drive the Hpp eco and just see if you want more. I don’t have a hipo eco but I do have ford tuned eco, and I can’t say in anyway shape or form I’m let down. It’s a very satisfying push into my seat playing around and driving is snappy.

I just dyno’d my car today (mustang dyno) got 266hp and 374tq at wheels. But that would most likely be 292hp and 411tq on a dynojet.
Which falls in line with the 18 ford performance claim of 420tq

350tq bass + 70tq gain with 18+ ford perf tune.

if the hipo doesn’t knock yor socks, but gt. I wouldn’t jump straight to gt if you are considering both though without test driving Though.
Thanks for the feedback;
I went to two Ford's dealers and didn't have the HPP on lot.
I've had 3 cars with Turbo, from V8 to I4 and nothing is more satisfying than when the boost hits. Deep down, the EB HPP brings back that feeling. The GT has other benefits but I was disappointed with it's low end linear TQ that doesn't feel you're accelerating.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I added to that post, I was perfectly happy w my eco but I just got the ford performance tune, and it completely changes the car.

for street, I couldn’t ask for anything better. I can zip around without being attention to myself, my exhaust sounds good but a gt’s equivalent would be having cops popping up.

I get 30-34mpg Highway trips. I don’t know, just overall happy w it. Another pro is on Highway I want quieter car and music isn’t interrupted by loud gt type exhaust. My friends have v8’s Sounds amazing but it gets old with their droning lol. (Atleast their exhaust) I like music a lot. So it’s nice to have a quieter highway exhaust

would be sweet if you found someone w tuned ecoboost, I am betting Itl be comparable to what hipo eco will feel like.
DFD062F9-09D8-453E-BB36-E88CFD7B9909.jpeg

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thanks for your feedback.
Is the GT insurance higher than EB?
How is your GT low end TQ up to 3500? For street driving that's what matters. From 1700 to 3500. I wonder when this new turbo wakes up, after 4000? If yes, then it needs RPM room before boost shows up.
You need to check with your insurance company. Mine was $50.00 a year EB vs GT, but I'm an old fart with a perfect record.

You have it backwards. The EB is instantaneous, virtually no turbo lag. The GT is a high RPM monster but a "little" sluggish off the line. The 15-19 EB weakness was above 4000 but the HPP has taken care of that. As mentioned you can cure the GT low end with an E85 tune and/or a supercharger/turbo setup.

Edit....forgot to mention that when you put the GT in sport+ mode it wakes up quite a bit.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
It has to be, that's why Ford is asking for such a higher premium on the HPP.
However, I really posted this question, is because, the BASE GT is now so close to EB HPP, and with GT you can get better discount and get the best of V8. But I thought I ask if the HPP gives a much better low end TQ experience than low end GT.
Not for inner city driving it won't be. When exactly will it be better? If you take it out somewhere to drive in the twisties, will it really be better than a GT? Where it will be better is in MPG, really tight slow turns (minimal) and maybe some other costs like insurance and maybe sticker depending on how you equip the car. Overall performance will lean towards the GT in almost every area. I will say that a current EB with a tune is probably similar to my car in "normal" mode. Put it in sport + or track and the gap becomes more evident. As I mentioned, it depends on how the cars are equipped. The HPP should be a fun car to drive, but with a properly equipped GT you should have more fun with that.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with him. It will be a blast eitherway, just depends how much you want to drop. For me, I would pick a ecoboost premium before I got a base gt, less power but more comfort for same price.

if money was no object, I’d have gt or gt350. But I only got what was best for my life.

They are right, insurance wasn’t much different for me either for gt or eco, minimal. But I have 13 years no driving tickets, wrecks etc. nothing.

oh, I just had a guy make fun of my car, first time I’ve heard it happen. I was at a big car thing and parked beside the gt guys (no one has ecoboost here) and was chatting w friend and a guy was over there talking all kinds of crap about the ecoboost.

I don’t care, but if that’s something you care about then get the gt. sadly to say but Itl happen. Lol my gf was like is he really talking crap about other people’s cars? I said that’s the car scene.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
You need to check with your insurance company. Mine was $50.00 a year EB vs GT, but I'm an old fart with a perfect record.

You have it backwards. The EB is instantaneous, virtually no turbo lag. The GT is a high RPM monster but a "little" sluggish off the line. The 15-19 EB weakness was above 4000 but the HPP has taken care of that. As mentioned you can cure the GT low end with an E85 tune and/or a supercharger/turbo setup.

Edit....forgot to mention that when you put the GT in sport+ mode it wakes up quite a bit.
The 5.0 makes more torque everywhere, feeling like its sluggish is your brain playing tricks on you because you don't ride that boost surge down low. A stock EB makes like 260 ft-lb at 2500 rpm while a 5.0 is making well over 300 at that point.

For city driving though I would absolutely get the EB HPP with an automatic. Would be great fun and get you waaaaay more miles per gallon in that kind of traffic. Plus plenty of power to have fun on the weekends and good handling too.

Sponsored

americanv8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
/
I find that posts like these are generally made by someone trying to justify why they are getting an ecoboost. Get whatever the hell you want, stop making these stupid comparison threads of ecoboost vs gt. If you only care about city driving, then go buy yourself a civic or corolla.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
The A-10 355 GT is like a rocket from 0 to 150 MPH. The EB starts running out of power at 80 mph.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on what you mean by "low end torque". I love my '19 GT 6 speed. But it's not a monster torque engine in the lower RPMs - but that's NOT a knock on the Gen 3 Coyote. For me, the EB is even more lacking in low end torque. People here can argue all you want, but what many people think is low end torque isn't - it's gearing and torque multiplication. I come from a background of daily driven home built stroker small block Chevrolet engines and big block GM engines. So my definition of low end torque is different. Quick example - I had a 3rd gen F-body with a 408 small block. Not even stroked. The cam was designed to make all it's power in the low to mid range. It was topped with a mildly modified TPI system. With a T5 and a 3.42 gearing it was the definition of low end torque. As in 400 ft/lbs of torque with a flat torque curve. But a Gen 3 Coyote it was not. When the 408 was done - the Coyote is just warming up. It's just a quick example.

I'll give a more applicable example. A friend had a 2nd gen Camaro he bought that had been nicely built when he bought it. Warmed over 350, aftermarket EFI with a built 700R4. He griped about lack of "low end grunt". He was talking crate engines or major engien upgrades. I asked him what gears were in the rear end - he gave me a blank look. So we checked. 3.08's. Installed 3.73's and he's never griped again. So A LOT of what people seem to refer as low end torque is actually gearing or lack thereof.

Another easy example? My '17 V6 Mustang came with 3.15 gears with a 6 speed. I switched to 3.55 gears within a month or two. The difference was night and day. I didn't make more torque, I multiplied what was there at a higher rate. A co worker had test driven a V6 S550. He commented to me how slow it seemed. He took a ride in mind and couldn't believe the difference. Gearing.

Just my 2 cents.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Agree. I have 3.31 gears 6 speed manual too. Love it paired w the tune.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.