Sponsored

2019 ZL1 is 3,883 pounds--I was surprised today..........

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
So today I was getting an oil change for my "Daily Driver" and I had about 40 minutes to kill so I went wandering around the showroom floor of my local Chevy Store. On the showroom was a very good looking 2019 ZL1 Camaro all decked out. So being a curious guy I googled the weight on that Bad Boy and it came up at 3,883 pounds. If my memory is still working today it seems that our 2020 Shelby GT 500's come in at something like 4,225. Now Iam at a disadvantage to many of you as "I have not seen the new Shelby in person yet". But I can tell you that I was inches away from the Camaro on the floor and the one thing that stood out to atleast me is that this car is BIG. So Iam still scratching my head as to WHY the Shelby comes in at 342 more pounds than our cars do??? Iam getting the "Base Car" not the CFTP car. Just my honest observation today.
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
You also have to look at features, do they both have heated/cooled seats, how many speakers they each have. The GT500 is more of a Broad Street Bruiser. It's not historically been a precision knife like the GT350 is and the ZL1 has turned into.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
So today I was getting an oil change for my "Daily Driver" and I had about 40 minutes to kill so I went wandering around the showroom floor of my local Chevy Store. On the showroom was a very good looking 2019 ZL1 Camaro all decked out. So being a curious guy I googled the weight on that Bad Boy and it came up at 3,883 pounds. If my memory is still working today it seems that our 2020 Shelby GT 500's come in at something like 4,225. Now Iam at a disadvantage to many of you as "I have not seen the new Shelby in person yet". But I can tell you that I was inches away from the Camaro on the floor and the one thing that stood out to atleast me is that this car is BIG. So Iam still scratching my head as to WHY the Shelby comes in at 342 more pounds than our cars do??? Iam getting the "Base Car" not the CFTP car. Just my honest observation today.
I think one thing the GT500 has going against it is absolutely massive steel rotors and brakes, 16.5 inch front rotors. They probably weigh 80 lbs each. It may also have more and bigger radiators but I am not sure about that.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
You also have to look at features, do they both have heated/cooled seats, how many speakers they each have. The GT500 is more of a Broad Street Bruiser. It's not historically been a precision knife like the GT350 is and the ZL1 has turned into.
The ZL1 1LE has heated and cooled seats and all the features you can imagine

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The GT500s power to weight ratio is 5.52. The ZL1 is 5.97. I can't wait to see this fight.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I was under the impression it was less loaded than an SS. I may be thinking of older models.
Nope, always has had that option since its relaese but the ZL1 1LE has only been out since MY 18.

You guys need to understand that the Camaro chassis took a HUGE leap forward in chassis technology and was completely redesigned. The S550 chassis and unibody was NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT an "all new chassis" as was stated in 2015. It was an evolution of the S197. Blame the bean counters on that one. The Camaro is dimensionally smaller than the Mustang too. Not by much but it is, especially in overall height. There's more use of aluminum, less material used in the unibody and body panels. The engine weighs less (perks of having only ONE cam shaft, and 16 valves. Smaller heads, camshafts in the Mustang weight 6 - 7 lbs each, less springs, less valves, less rockers, less everything and less valvetrain adds up). The Ford Evos concept was supposed to be a launching pad for Ford Global Platform but some idiot decided that joining the 21st century was a bad idea and they canned it. All body panels that were traditionally steel were aluminum or advanced composites. Parts of the unibody were aluminum. Suspension parts had more aluminum. The Evos should have been Genesis but instead Ford did what they do best and took the financial high road and the engineering low road. And their stock is still garbage.

The aluminum body technology hit the F Series because of scaling volume capability and never went anywhere else. Imagine if the Mustang had even the same unibody but aluminum body panels. That could have been maybe 150lbs or so right there (the F150 typically lost about 500 in total. More and bigger body panels, more opportunity for weight savings). Those aluminum body panels truly are very light and manageable. And if Mustang had the green light for a complete chassis redesign, there could have been more lost in the unibody as well. Camaro cut over 200lbs from its original rough curb weight of about 3900lbs bringing it into the high 3600's. Take a car like the GT350 which feels lighter than it really is. If it were even 100lbs lighter down to 3700lbs...oh my god. For the record, an SS 1LE weighs in the mid 3700's.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The 3883 is the manual version, the auto zl1 is 3944. so its about 300 lbs difference. I think the gt500 should preform better in every metric but we will see

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
The 3883 is the manual version, the auto zl1 is 3944. so its about 300 lbs difference. I think the gt500 should preform better in every metric but we will see
So therefore the 1Le will weigh 150 less than the carbon fibre track pack.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Car and Driver LL listed the auto zl1 1le at 3880lbs

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I was under the impression it was less loaded than an SS. I may be thinking of older models.
Only Ford has perfected the art of conning their customers into paying ridiculous sums of money to put the standard features back into the ostensibly "stripped" (all of 20lbs) car. The ZL1 and 1LE are fully equipped and make no concessions for 'track' duty. If you want a track car, it's up to you to start ripping things out.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Time will tell if the GT500 is a good car. On price, they will be most likley be avaiable as used cars in a year or two.

Last edited:

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Only Ford has perfected the art of conning their customers into paying ridiculous sums of money to put the standard features back into the ostensibly "stripped" (all of 20lbs) car. The ZL1 and 1LE are fully equipped and make no concessions for 'track' duty. If you want a track car, it's up to you to start ripping things out.
Apparently they did make the rear glass thinner lol, but yeah the ZLE is loaded.

To continue the numbers game, there’s a fella with a ZLE auto, OMP seats, rear delete, forged wheels, maybe a lighter battery...at 3684#

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Roughly 300 lbs and 100 hp difference. Throw in the DCT and the differences stack up. The chassis of the 500 is also significantly enhanced. It’s quite literally a GT350 on steroids and a long training camp.

The GT500 has some AAA brakes with gigantically epic rotors. That’s where a good chunk of weight comes in. Ford wasn’t messing around in pursuing world class greatness here.

This isn’t the 500 of yesteryear. The old gt500 was a simple brute that got by on power alone.

The new one is a nuerosurgeon who lifts weights, runs hurdles, and practices martial arts, while doing steroids.

People who hope this is another glorified boulevard cruiser are going to have some serious hurt feelings.

and let’s not even begin the modding talk. Anyone can lightweight by ripping their car apart. And the 500 will respond much better to power mods.

I can see some ridiculous power numbers before too long.

but let’s stick with the factory setups for now. The car isn’t even in garages yet.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Roughly 300 lbs and 100 hp difference. Throw in the DCT and the differences stack up. The chassis of the 500 is also significantly enhanced. It’s quite literally a GT350 on steroids and a long training camp.

The GT500 has some AAA brakes with gigantically epic rotors. That’s where a good chunk of weight comes in. Ford wasn’t messing around in pursuing world class greatness here.

This isn’t the 500 of yesteryear. The old gt500 was a simple brute that got by on power alone.

The new one is a nuerosurgeon who lifts weights, runs hurdles, and practices martial arts, while doing steroids.

People who hope this is another glorified boulevard cruiser are going to have some serious hurt feelings.

and let’s not even begin the modding talk. Anyone can lightweight by ripping their car apart. And the 500 will respond much better to power mods.

I can see some ridiculous power numbers before too long.

but let’s stick with the factory setups for now. The car isn’t even in garages yet.

LOL it IS the 500 of yesteryear......... dont believe me? Just look at those 2015 headlights.

Ive heard some rumblings the reason this cars taken so damn long is the DCT is glass behind 760hp. This a shitload of power behind a DCT meanwhile Dodge is still laughing with their Demons and Redeyes with 8 speed ZFs
Sponsored