Wylie C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
I had to go to NY to bury my mother. She passed Sept 14th. I was running 75 mph with the cruise on and I was getting 28.4 mpg. In Penn there was a lot of traffic and had to slow to 65, I was then getting 30.1 mpg. I am amazed at this car. 460hp and that kind of gas mileage unbelievable. Back in the day that kind of hp would get maybe 6 or 8 mpg. Anyway just thought I would share that.
Sponsored

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Sorry to hear about your mother.

I am also amazed at the mileage these newer engines get. I get very similar gas mileage to my 2001 Acura CL with a 3.2 liter V6 and that thing had 225 HP. This engine has almost twice as much HP, but can get similar MPG, especially if trying. It's hard not to do a couple full throttle pulls, which can really eat into the mileage. The Acura used to feel peppy, now it feels like the engine is an anchor, lol.

Reactions: A7X

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Lucky you! My 2018 GT gets about 24MPG at best. I have the A10 with 3.55 ratio and 20inch factory rims. It use to be really good when new but with 28K miles on it, the MPG has certainly dropped a bit.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Try my old beater 2002 Ford Taurus SE. 3.0L v6 SOHC got worse gas mileage on the hwy. Slightly better city though. 150hp! :D The S550 is heavier and has 3xHP!

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Condolences on your mother. If you are getting those MPG figures from the trip computer, it tends to cheat a little. My trip computer was consistently about 6% optimistic compared to manual calculation based on actual fuel consumed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wylie C

Wylie C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
I was going by the trip computer. I'll figure it manually the next trip. I hope it's close. My GT is A10 and 3:55 also, with 20's
Thanks for the kind words about Mom.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I had to go to NY to bury my mother. She passed Sept 14th. I was running 75 mph with the cruise on and I was getting 28.4 mpg. In Penn there was a lot of traffic and had to slow to 65, I was then getting 30.1 mpg. I am amazed at this car. 460hp and that kind of gas mileage unbelievable. Back in the day that kind of hp would get maybe 6 or 8 mpg. Anyway just thought I would share that.
If you think that's impressive, look at the Camaro SS. Has old-school tech with pushrods, but gets better mpg than the GT. Yes, some of that could be the platform losing a lot of weight. But SS guys getting the mpg they are getting out of a freaking pushrod motor is impressive. I'd say more impressive than ours because the Coyote is oozing with fairly new tech.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Actually this topic got my curious. The MPG of Mustang has been fairly consistent since they were first made a few mpg swing up and down but still fairly consistent. https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/mustang-mpg-ratings this site lists all years mpg in a chart.
I think Wylie is old enough to remember driving cars from the late 1960's when they were brand-new/on their first drive off the dealership lot. CJ's data doesn't go that far back.

There was a time when a V8 car getting 15 highway mpg was clearly the exception. That'd be in easy real-world driving, not EPA numbers measured via specified "drive cycles" on a dyno. FWIW, I think the early EPA numbers tended to be unrealistically high, and I seem to recall the drive cycles having been revised at least once over time as a result.

Norm
Sponsored