That was soooo Gen 5.
Sponsored

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
I heard that next year he is trying out for a DARWIN AWARD!

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Gravity is a b i t c h :giggle:

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
*Jake from State Farm has entered the chat
*Flow from Progressive has entered the chat

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Looks like a drain pipe or something in the culvert that caused it to flip. Bad break. Something similar happened to me in a blizzard and I got lucky and steered out of it. Wonder if the car was driveable.
There’s a second video post-crash. Drivers side suspension and steering was smashed, wheels were pigeon toed.

Sucks for that guy, he’s probably done the same thing 100x. Judging by the wheel setup, he probably has some cheap tires on there that had zero chance of having enough grip to recover. Plus, he stayed in the throttle the ENTIRE time.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
LOL! Now that's an example of 1.5 lateral g's. I just posted on another thread that you'd have to roll it to achieve 1.5 lateral g's. The very next thread I open is this dumbass. Too funny!
I've hit 1.5g on track. Not that hard with a well setup suspension and sticky tire.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
That was probably a s550 owner test driving a s197.
I could see that. :giggle:
Everything about the S197 makes it harder to control over the S550.(Serious)

I just don't understand all these people that lose control going straight. I mean if it was a corner, yeah, I could see it. But straight? Either driver mod or let off. Better yet, leave the nannies on. Sheesh...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
LOL! Now that's an example of 1.5 lateral g's. I just posted on another thread that you'd have to roll it to achieve 1.5 lateral g's. The very next thread I open is this dumbass. Too funny!
What happened in this video was that the car rolling was essentially a case of tripping once the left side wheels hit the upslope on the far side of the ditch. Momentarily, the lateral g's were probably in excess of 1.5g as the left side tires dug into the dirt, plus with the car already leaned to the left from the downslope it would not have needed the full 1.5 lat-g to start rolling over.

Actually, 1.5g is a decent first-cut estimate of when a stockish but unlowered sporty car on top-shelf but true street tires would be approaching a rollover, on good flat/level pavement. I remember that other thread.

21" CG height, 62.5" track . . . 1.49g. Due to tires having width, there's a little margin not accounted for in such a simplistic calculation.

Norm

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT

I just don't understand all these people that lose control going straight. I mean if it was a corner, yeah, I could see it. But straight? Either driver mod or let off. Better yet, leave the nannies on. Sheesh...
That guy had no clue how to handle that car or no experience driving it. I've owned 3 s197 GT's and will say the s550 is much easier to handle when you put your right foot in it.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If you drive more by 'feel' and less by hand/foot position, the S197 isn't hard to control at all. Assuming the absence of certain unwise choices in suspension mods, anyway.

Once the car begins to yaw, it's like it really is in a corner. About all I can say is that if you're going to try driving a fast car fast on the street, you'd better be a fast driver.

Fast Car - Fast Driver T-shirt.jpg

Norm

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
If you drive more by 'feel' and less by hand/foot position, the S197 isn't hard to control at all. Assuming the absence of certain unwise choices in suspension mods, anyway.

Norm
Yes, I get that. But the IRS in the S550 doesn't upset the balance of the car, it adds to it. Norm, we both have a variation of the S197 and we both have mods done to our cars. Which is the easier car to drive? The S550 variant or the S197 variant? Everybody would say the S550.

If you really want to learn how to drive, drive a car that has a SFA and SRA. :giggle:

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thinking about it.... That dude needs more Hard Drivin’ seat time, then maybe he could have mastered the roll....

Anyone remember that game? It had the dash layout of a 85-86 Mustang GT.
I dropped a lot of quarters into Hard Drivin' (and later Race Drivin') in high school and college. I got pretty damn good at it. Me and one other guy would basically trade high scores and championship lap times. I think my best Championship Lap ever was something like a 1:16.90---to get that I had to exploit a collision detection bug that would sometimes let you jump extra-long without exploding. I think my fastest regular (flying) lap times were in the 1:14 range.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes, I get that. But the IRS in the S550 doesn't upset the balance of the car, it adds to it. Norm, we both have a variation of the S197 and we both have mods done to our cars. Which is the easier car to drive? The S550 variant or the S197 variant? Everybody would say the S550.
Considering the suspension alone, I'd agree. I've had a few IRS cars and there is something nicer about them that I'm not entirely sure I can put my finger on. Might be a function of the geo roll centers being closer to the same height. But I also think that in hard driving IRS has less tolerance for being "almost there but not quite", and it is more sensitive to hub and suspension bearing condition.

Overall I'm less sure, specifically when the comparison is against the early S197s that had hydraulic power steering assist. You get more road feel and sensation of grip starting to go away with HPAS than with EPAS. EPAS is getting better, but I don't think it's there yet, especially in the heavier-feeling drive modes where you're getting an extra dose of steering weight with less mechanical feedback.

If you really want to learn how to drive, drive a car that has a SFA and SRA. :giggle:
Go-karts aside, I think the closest I ever got to that was one or two Ford pickup trucks with the twin I-beam front suspension. Don't remember much about those at all except that the new one had a 352 FE motor under the hood . . .

Norm
Sponsored

Reactions: Ebm