GT350 Engine Refresh Time!

Ltsrock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350r Lightning Blue
Kevin, You mention oil failure issues for the Voodo. I'm not aware of any specific oil issues, would you mind elaborating please. I recently received an concerning oil sample report, my third report (I've always had an oil sample done since new). The report shows dramatically increased aluminum and lead content, the written report says that I should listen for abnormal noises.
BTW, I've always used the Ford spec oil (5w50)l, no more than 2,000mi between oil changes (4900 miles on the car/engine total) and 1/3rd of the miles are track miles.
Thoughts in regards to your comment/experience with oil failures in these engines?

Thx,
Keith
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Kevin, You mention oil failure issues for the Voodo. I'm not aware of any specific oil issues, would you mind elaborating please. I recently received an concerning oil sample report, my third report (I've always had an oil sample done since new). The report shows dramatically increased aluminum and lead content, the written report says that I should listen for abnormal noises.
BTW, I've always used the Ford spec oil (5w50)l, no more than 2,000mi between oil changes (4900 miles on the car/engine total) and 1/3rd of the miles are track miles.
Thoughts in regards to your comment/experience with oil failures in these engines?

Thx,
Keith
Lead and aluminum..... not good. Well, lead is indicative of bearing wear and aluminum is a sign of piston wear (generally speaking). How is the car being driven and if this is all of a sudden, ask yourself what has changed?

Higher amounts of aluminum and lead are common after track events. Try taking a sample after normal street driving over a significant amount of miles.

Have fun with it my good friend.

Ltsrock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350r Lightning Blue
Lead and aluminum..... not good. Well, lead is indicative of bearing wear and aluminum is a sign of piston wear (generally speaking). How is the car being driven and if this is all of a sudden, ask yourself what has changed?

Higher amounts of aluminum and lead are common after track events. Try taking a sample after normal street driving over a significant amount of miles.

Have fun with it my good ol pal keith.
Thanks Tom,
There aren't any new or different uses with the car. I track it as often as possible, and street miles aren't likely in the cars near future (It snowed today here in Denver).
Since the oil change and sample report, I've driven probably 300 street miles and will have four track days after this coming weekend. My plan is to drive it this weekend, hope that it does or doesn't blow up, then get another oil sample report. I'm just not aware of oil specific issues with this engine, are you? Oil pump issues yes, if boosted, but I'm 100% stock. I'd like to know so that I can better understand how to proceed, now and in the future (after Ford replaces the engine if/when it blows) I've read speculation that a new GT500 engine block assy might actually be preferred and a good thing in the long run?
Sorry if this is hi-jacking Kevin's thread, not my intenet

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hi Keith!

I should clarify and say oil-related issues. Oil consumption due to the plasma arc coated cylinder walls/piston rings issues, cylinders 4/8 getting too hot due to a lack of oil flow, bearings spinning due to getting too hot, vct failing and causing piston to valve contact because of oiling control issues, etc. then there’s the spin on filter fiasco, etc.

So much on this engine can go wrong if there’s a hiccup with oil. More so than your classic push rod motor. I wasn’t implying folks need to be more proactive in regards to oil related preventative actions. More so that oiling system seems to be a weak point for this motor.

Sorry to hear about your oil report. Definitely sounds like a new engine will be due sooner or later. Sounds like you’ve done everything right. Not much else needed other than routine oil changes. I’d recommend changing after every track weekend regardless.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
What I find amazing is how you were able to get that awful torque dip in the 3000RPM range out of the torque curve and it's so smooth.
I was thinking the same thing! What causes the stock engine's huge dip/surge in power at about 3,300 RPM? and how did you eliminate it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I was thinking the same thing! What causes the stock engine's huge dip/surge in power at about 3,300 RPM? and how did you eliminate it?
I did so much at the same time, I couldn't say for sure. But I think a lot of that is the tuning magic from Shaun at AED. Dude is killer and I highly recommend him for tuning services.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Out of curiosity did you ever look into custom Ti rods? If we use the 464gr weight of the LS7 stock titanium rods for a napkin calculation vs 610gr for a stock Voodoo rod, multiplied by 8, that looses 2.5 lb of weight off your reciprocating mass. Edit: nevermind, looks like even if one of the rod comps is willing to do them you're looking at over $3k just in rods.

Last edited:

wldtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Anyone know why ford changed the head gaskets p/n in 2018?

FR3Z-6051-A
FR3Z-6051-F

GR3Z-6051-C
GR3Z-6051-D

I’m thinking of getting this kit to use on my 5.2 but want to insure it will work ok.
M-6067-M52

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
I’m thinking of getting this kit to use on my 5.2 but want to insure it will work ok.
M-6067-M52
This is the correct kit for a pre 2019 5.2l block, or the M-6010-M52 block (but not the -M52A or B).
FR3Z-6051-A is the 5.0 gasket. Online it might say for both 5.0 and 5.2 but it's not.

Sponsored

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Anyone know why ford changed the head gaskets p/n in 2018?

FR3Z-6051-A
FR3Z-6051-F

GR3Z-6051-C
GR3Z-6051-D

M-6067-M52
What is in the kit? Is it a full gasket set or just the head gaskets?

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
Thanks Tom,
There aren't any new or different uses with the car. I track it as often as possible, and street miles aren't likely in the cars near future (It snowed today here in Denver).
Since the oil change and sample report, I've driven probably 300 street miles and will have four track days after this coming weekend. My plan is to drive it this weekend, hope that it does or doesn't blow up, then get another oil sample report. I'm just not aware of oil specific issues with this engine, are you? Oil pump issues yes, if boosted, but I'm 100% stock. I'd like to know so that I can better understand how to proceed, now and in the future (after Ford replaces the engine if/when it blows) I've read speculation that a new GT500 engine block assy might actually be preferred and a good thing in the long run?
Sorry if this is hi-jacking Kevin's thread, not my intenet
These engines also use aluminum bearings.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
This is the correct kit for a pre 2019 5.2l block, or the M-6010-M52 block (but not the -M52A or B).
FR3Z-6051-A is the 5.0 gasket. Online it might say for both 5.0 and 5.2 but it's not.
So which one is for the 5.2 ?