Sponsored

Any Rumors of Ford Offering the PP2 in the Convertible?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I totally understand that you would love that car.
Having sat in a Mustang this summer for the first time in my life in a GT rental (vert, A10, 401A option and nothing else), I fell in love with it in no time. Fully optioned must be THAT much better!
My wife asked if I would buy one. I replied "If it was up to me, today"!!
Today sounds good. I retired in 2017. Always wanted a Bullitt and when the rumors first started about a 2018 version I decided to wait. Alas no A10 option so no go there. Fast forward to this past March. The 0%/72 was available and I started to get the itch again. My wife said, “enough, what the hell are you waiting for?”
My wife is a very smart woman. You should follow her advise. :)
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Get a '18-20 convertible just like you've spec'ed it: PP1, Magenride, Active Exhaust and the 401a for the digital dash, better interior, drive modes, etc. That's a __heck__ of a car, and you can option either transmission (but the A10 is great for cruising and provides kick ass performance). The PP2 wouldn't even give you that much more, maybe a touch of better handling performance at the limit (that's really only doable on track, where you're probably not going to take a convertible).

Note you might also consider the B&O audio, it's a nice upgrade, and the Smart and Safe adds ACC and a few other safety systems (Under $2K for both of those options).

Wheels and tires are easily done in the aftermarket, and for a street car, better than the PP2 setup which is a little wide up front. You can do a 20" with a 275-285 in the front, 295-305 in the rear, with a proper offset, so it tucks nicely.

OP
OP

Radguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kia Stinger, 2018 Kia Sedona
Get a '18-20 convertible just like you've spec'ed it: PP1, Magenride, Active Exhaust and the 401a for the digital dash, better interior, drive modes, etc. That's a __heck__ of a car, and you can option either transmission (but the A10 is great for cruising and provides kick ass performance). The PP2 wouldn't even give you that much more, maybe a touch of better handling performance at the limit (that's really only doable on track, where you're probably not going to take a convertible).

Note you might also consider the B&O audio, it's a nice upgrade, and the Smart and Safe adds ACC and a few other safety systems (Under $2K for both of those options).

Wheels and tires are easily done in the aftermarket, and for a street car, better than the PP2 setup which is a little wide up front. You can do a 20" with a 275-285 in the front, 295-305 in the rear, with a proper offset, so it tucks nicely.
Good advice, thanks.

Based on some recent reviews of the B & O audio, I would add that. The Safe and Smart also. My wife is not a fan of the ACC but the other features make that option worth while.

Ultimately, I think you're right. I'll probably try to source out a 2 or 3 year old GT Premium with the options that I want, get some aftermarket upgraded wheels and tires, and look for, hopefully, a sale price on a Roush blower (I'm hoping they go on sale periodically--Black Friday, Boxing Day, etc, etc) and likely install it myself. Intent is to get everything done under $35K or maybe $30K, if possible. I doubt that I could get a Roush or Shelby car for that price.

OP
OP

Radguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
Today sounds good. I retired in 2017. Always wanted a Bullitt and when the rumors first started about a 2018 version I decided to wait. Alas no A10 option so no go there. Fast forward to this past March. The 0%/72 was available and I started to get the itch again. My wife said, “enough, what the hell are you waiting for?”
My wife is a very smart woman. You should follow her advise. :)
I would definitely do it "today", but I have to get permission from "The Boss" first.

Initially she said "No way! Never going to happen", but the fact that she was very inquisitive about the Roush Jackhammer we saw a few days ago, and that she sourced another Mustang GT convertible rental for another Florida vacation this upcoming week means that there is definitely hope for a "Yes, go ahead and buy the damn car!" at some point in the not too distant future. Like you, I will patiently wait on the sidelines.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Ultimately, I think you're right. I'll probably try to source out a 2 or 3 year old GT Premium with the options that I want, get some aftermarket upgraded wheels and tires, and look for, hopefully, a sale price on a Roush blower (I'm hoping they go on sale periodically--Black Friday, Boxing Day, etc, etc) and likely install it myself. Intent is to get everything done under $35K or maybe $30K, if possible. I doubt that I could get a Roush or Shelby car for that price.
Keep an eye out, deals come up. My '19 GT convertible (all the options, even a special paint color upcharge), had a $58K MSRP, car was 6 months old, had only 4K miles, traded into a BMW/Mini dealer, I scored it for $38K (with a decent trade-in on my '16 GT convertible - and they moved over my wheels/tires).

My '16 was also a PP car, but of course in '16 it was only offered with a manual - after two decades of driving manuals, I went with the A10 in this '19 and I can't tell you how awesome it is. Just got my initial tune done, switching over to FlexFuel, holy hell, it's violently fast with just a tune.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Radguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
Keep an eye out, deals come up. My '19 GT convertible (all the options, even a special paint color upcharge), had a $58K MSRP, car was 6 months old, had only 4K miles, traded into a BMW/Mini dealer, I scored it for $38K (with a decent trade-in on my '16 GT convertible - and they moved over my wheels/tires).

My '16 was also a PP car, but of course in '16 it was only offered with a manual - after two decades of driving manuals, I went with the A10 in this '19 and I can't tell you how awesome it is. Just got my initial tune done, switching over to FlexFuel, holy hell, it's violently fast with just a tune.
I totally agree with you Re: A10. The Mustang we rented this past June had the A10 and I really liked it.

I used to be a totally manual tranny guy for "The Driving Experience!". We used to own an '07 Corvette C6 Z06 that we both tracked regularly on road courses. My next vehicle after that one was a 2010 Nissan GT-R with the 6 speed DCT. That was it---no more manuals for me!! My wife's next car was a M-B AMG SL63 with the 6.2L naturally aspirated V-8 and an 8 speed DCT. That was it---no more manuals for her!! I can imagine that the 7 speed DCT in the new GT500 would be really something, but WAYYY out of my price range unfortunately!

I'll be looking at a cash deal with no trade-in when the time comes so maybe someone will offer a good deal. Hopefully, the Canadian dollar will strengthen on the US Greenback by then (CAN$1.38 for US $1.00 right now).

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, I did a few cars that were manual only (I had a Z06 too), I've talked up the same thing, the driving experience. At the end of the day, especially with a DCT, you're talking about a clutch pedal, it's not like you aren't handling the throttle, steering, braking, even (in the right mode), gear selection. People act like the DCT in the GT500 means you can sit in the back seat at Sebring ... :D

My wife never really learned to drive a manual, so this was also a little motivated by wanting a car she could also drive, even if it's just leaving it here for her as sort of an emergency vehicle if I need to use the DD/RT. If I were looking to attend track events again, I might've considered another manual, but in that case, I wouldn't have even got another convertible (probably shopped a 1-2 year old GT350).

We're [way] down here on the coast of Florida, so we get to use a convertible pretty much all year round (actually, not summer, too f-ing hot ...), this is my 3rd one in a row (S2K, GT, GT) wife had a Z3, 325Ci, the Z3 hooked us on the need for a drop top :)

OP
OP

Radguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
I absolutely fell in love with the state of Florida while vacationing there a few years ago, especially central Florida where my in-laws have been wintering for the last 20 years. Bought a home in Winter Garden (5 minutes from Disney) last fall as our retirement winter home. This past June, spent a week at the house. Mustang GT rental. 100 degrees outside, A/C going full blast with every vent wide open, but TOP DOWN BABY, the whole time!! Loved it!!

This will likely be our last kick at the "Sport Car" can, so I'm going to try and make it a good one. Steamroller tires, monster power, and kick-ass exhaust!! Don't care how many neighbours I piss off!!

I am SO looking forward to spending 5 1/2 winter months down there with the 'Stang!!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Nice! We go down to Orlando / Universal Studios about 3-4 times a year, stay onsight, have fun for 4-5 days :D In fact, we're going down for Halloween Horror Nights pretty soon. We also tend to go to Orlando for major concerts, just like the venue, we stay at the A-loft, walk few blocks over to the Amway center, have a blast hanging around Church Street.

There's a fun place down there called Ace Cafe, don't know if you've been, car and bike themed joint, really fun, and they do cruise-ins just about every day, most are themed like Fast Fords, or Modern Muscle, etc., fun place to hang out, meet some other car enthusiasts, get some pretty good food and they have excellent beer options.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
[QUOTE="MaskedRacerX, l, holy hell, it's violently fast with just a tune.[/QUOTE]

"Violently fast" is good!

CVCashmere

Sponsored

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
My 2017GT Conv. PP1 Auto build came out KILLER. Hope to post some more pics after I install some more parts.
IMG_5864.JPG
IMG_5860.JPG
IMG_5868.JPG

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
I have a quick question. I looked in the KYB Shock catalog online and they did not have a listing for the Mustang. How did you find them?

Thanks

CVCashmere
i got them off another member like new. Those are Ford racing springs and are a perfect combo. Next is Galpin Auto Sports and installing the power pack 2.

OP
OP

Radguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
I would definitely do it "today", but I have to get permission from "The Boss" first.

Initially she said "No way! Never going to happen", but the fact that she was very inquisitive about the Roush Jackhammer we saw a few days ago, and that she sourced another Mustang GT convertible rental for another Florida vacation this upcoming week means that there is definitely hope for a "Yes, go ahead and buy the damn car!" at some point in the not too distant future. Like you, I will patiently wait on the sidelines.
Sooooo, we just finished our second vacation in Florida. Another week in a convertible (this time a '19 Camaro SS--we both liked the Mustang better!!), and the evening before we left for home, we were both watching some classic westerns (Grit TV), my wife says "You know, maybe if we are good at putting some more money away for retirement in the next couple of years, we can look at getting a convertible as a fun retirement car". HOOKED ALREADY!! GREEN LIGHT!! YAY!!

Little does she know that I've already started our "Fun Car" financial plan!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Sooooo, we just finished our second vacation in Florida. Another week in a convertible (this time a '19 Camaro SS--we both liked the Mustang better!!), and the evening before we left for home, we were both watching some classic westerns (Grit TV), my wife says "You know, maybe if we are good at putting some more money away for retirement in the next couple of years, we can look at getting a convertible as a fun retirement car". HOOKED ALREADY!! GREEN LIGHT!! YAY!!

Little does she know that I've already started our "Fun Car" financial plan!
Good for you. One piece of advice. “Save Faster” :clap::thumbsup: