Sponsored

911 vs GT350 Motortrend: Which is the Better All-Around Sports Car?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised the mags don't measure and publish the contact patch area at whatever PSI they aired the tires up to, and the corresponding contact PSI at each end. I mean if you're going to "bench race" lets have some useful numbers to stir the pot with.
Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I'm amazed at the acceleration Porsche gets out of its cars. They seem to get the most acceleration per hp out there. 123.8 mph trap speed in the 1/4 mile with 443 hp? And it's not like it's 3,100 lbs, it weighs 3,425 lbs. Aside from the 0-60 mph in 3 secs. (helped by the additional traction of the rear engine), that 911 would also essentially hang with a ZL1 or Hellcat from a roll on the highway with a much worse lbs:hp ratio than either car.
Would be interesting to see the weight difference for the wheels... GT350 has cast wheels, about 31 lbs each, Porsche has forged wheels, I would not be surprised to be 8 pounds lighter per corner. Every little bit counts, and that rear weight really helps pushing it off the line.
I think the stats would be much closer compared to an R. But hey, it costs double, and it's not close to twice as good, so it's a win for the GT350 :)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm amazed at the acceleration Porsche gets out of its cars. They seem to get the most acceleration per hp out there. 123.8 mph trap speed in the 1/4 mile with 443 hp? And it's not like it's 3,100 lbs, it weighs 3,425 lbs. Aside from the 0-60 mph in 3 secs. (helped by the additional traction of the rear engine), that 911 would also essentially hang with a ZL1 or Hellcat from a roll on the highway with a much worse lbs:hp ratio than either car.
Rear engine with rear drive is great for straight line acceleration and for hooking up coming out of a corner. I think one of the more recent 'vette vs. 911 comparison tests I saw from MotorTrend the 911 won all the straight line stuff and the Corvette won all the handling measurements.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I think the engine weight right over the drive axel helps put down the power. The C8 will be very interesting for this reason too.

edit: see people above had the same to say

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
In addition to the weight on the rear wheels improving the traction, Porsche turbo cars are underrated horsepower wise and due to the proximity of the engine to the axle, the driveline losses are lower than a front engine/rear drive car (higher crank to wheel horsepower conversion).

Sponsored

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
$78,470‬ more reasons for Porsche to be better in every aspect, and they delivered. Very interesting comparison though.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Rear engine with rear drive is great for straight line acceleration and for hooking up coming out of a corner. I think one of the more recent 'vette vs. 911 comparison tests I saw from MotorTrend the 911 won all the straight line stuff and the Corvette won all the handling measurements.
I think the engine weight right over the drive axel helps put down the power. The C8 will be very interesting for this reason too.

edit: see people above had the same to say
Dudes, I know the rear engine location improves traction, which I said in my post. I understand that helps with 0-60 and the 1/4 mile times. That's why I mentioned the 1/4 mile trap speed of nearly 124 mph. That's practically ZL1 and Hellcat territory, with a lot worse lbs:hp ratio. For comparison, usually, a 12.0 sec AWD car will trap much less mph than a 12.0 sec RWD car on factory tires. The fact that the car traps similar speeds to those huge hp cars which have much better lbs: hp ratios, is what is astonishing.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Don’t forget about the PDK dual clutch of the 911 too, that thing’s shifting speed is ridiculous

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Dudes, I know the rear engine location improves traction, which I said in my post. I understand that helps with 0-60 and the 1/4 mile times. That's why I mentioned the 1/4 mile trap speed of nearly 124 mph. That's practically ZL1 and Hellcat territory, with a lot worse lbs:hp ratio. For comparison, usually, a 12.0 sec AWD car will trap much less mph than a 12.0 sec RWD car on factory tires. The fact that the car traps similar speeds to those huge hp cars which have much better lbs: hp ratios, is what is astonishing.
I wasn't trying to contradict you or say you were wrong and I agree with what you are saying. The acceleration of a car at the moment of launch is underrated in importance, but I'm sure there are a bunch of other factors as well. 911s may have a broader HP/torque curve that is less peaky, the transmission plays a role - heck, Porsche may even under-rate the HP of the 911.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm surprised the mags don't measure and publish the contact patch area at whatever PSI they aired the tires up to, and the corresponding contact PSI at each end. I mean if you're going to "bench race" lets have some useful numbers to stir the pot with.
Divide the weight of the car by the pressure in the tires to get your answer (as long as they aren't on run flats).

Sponsored

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
I'm impressed that the 5 year old GT350, albeit with some updates, can hold its own with the brand spanking new 992 Carrera S. That says a lot! :like:

I've owned a 997 Carrera S for over 10 years now and it's all the 911 I'll probably ever need. When I bought my GT350, the wife said the 911 had to go, but I just couldn't bring myself to selling it and perhaps never will.

I will say this, while my GT350 gets more comments, it's always from guys. OTOH, the ladies seem far more interested in my 911. I love 'em both!

dscn0340small-jpg.jpg

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I have owned a '72 911 for over 20 years. Love it. Will never sell it. But I can't envision a scenario where I would pay $143K for a new 911. Never, ever, ever. As others have stated, they really should compare comparably priced cars. The GT350 competes with a base Cayman. The Cayman is great too, but I'd take the GT350 without question. No contest.

BB125

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special
Vehicle Showcase
What is better than a Porsche 911? TWO Mustang GT 350's plus some gas money for the same price.
Sponsored