Keep active exhaust closed w/ WOT

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yeah, but be aware that the install is a bit of a pain in the ass. The part where you need to unplug the actuator from the top of the muffler is annoying as hell.
I received the package. I'm going to get around to installing later next week. Thanks for the tips.
20190613_150804.jpg
20190613_150831.jpg
Sponsored

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
Hopefully the image below will help. it is the connector at the top the actuator. You cannot get your head up there to see it so you need to remove it by feel. I fumbled around for 15 minutes trying to get it disconnected until I snapped a pic and saw what it looked like. It was easy after that. Good luck.

exhaust valve actuator zoom in.jpg

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
A clip. and two bolts? Is that accurate? The clip provides power and ecu can read the AWE device from the connection. The two bolts are just to keep it in place?

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
A clip. and two bolts? Is that accurate? The clip provides power and ecu can read the AWE device from the connection. The two bolts are just to keep it in place?
You don't remove or add any bolts. Only need to remove the black and red connector in @nordique14 pic. There's one on each muffler. The AWE kit gets plugged into the actuator and you get 2 other plugs that plug into the part of the harness going to the car's ECU. Those plugs are only meant to "trick" the ECU into thinking it's still plugged into the actuator so you don't get any CELs. The AWE kit doesn't talk to the ECU at all. The remotes only "talk" to the exhaust actuators. The car's ECU thinks nothing has changed and it can't tell whether or not the valves are open or closed. It thinks it's still controlling the valves even though it's not actually doing anything.

Hopefully that makes sense.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
It does make sense. Is that why I read someone just zip tied the awe module onto that area? I would have thought it would have replaced the black device which I now assume is the actuator .

Sponsored

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
If you look at the AWE unit, it is just a black box with connectors. Just unplug the connectors from the top of a actuator (red tabs in my previous pic) and plug in the AWE connectors (purple connectors in the pic below). The other big black connector in the pic below is where you plug one of the connectors (red tab) that was removed from the top of the actuator. Then zip tie the black box somewhere out of the way. I am probably making it sound harder than it is. The tricky part is getting the red tab to release from the connector on the top of actuator as you cannot actually see it and must do it by feel. Once you do that, the rest is simple. On the easy-to-install scale, this is single wrench. You will probably spend more time figuring out a good place in the car for your remote.

upload_2019-6-20_7-45-54.png

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So I've never been to a race before... what actually happens if the sound booth catches it being too loud. Sirens go off or something? Do you pay a fine? Could I continue to run laps until the police arrive and kicks you off the track? Which will lead to a ban from the premise?
They tar and feather you, then proceed to burn you at the flag tower.

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Here how the custom fab Kooks exhaust turned out. The sound is VERY good now. Low, deep and only about 15-20% louder than my factory R exhaust was. interesting that they fabricated a broader X pipe AND an H pipe at the back. Enjoy.
IMG_2475.jpg
IMG_2476.jpg
IMG_2477.jpg
IMG_2478.jpg
IMG_2479.jpg
IMG_2488.jpg
IMG_2489.jpg

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I just installed the AWE switchpatch remote to be able to control my R's valves (need to keep them shut at a local track, want them open in 6th on the highway and at startup)... https://www.awe-tuning.com/switchpath-exhaust-remote

Install was ok, i used a small flathead screwdriver to push that red tab outward, then long needle nose pliers to help pull the wires gently while pushing the tab down once the red lock tab was pushed out. I had a mirror extension to see what was going on, but it's a blind job by feel with a lot of scrapes on my arms...

Testing it out, the valves still auto close when I press the clutch in to start the car :(. The remote works as it should, open/close on command, and the car systems no longer can change the valves, with the annoying exception that upon startup the valves still close. I can press clutch in, hear valves close (they don't flutter open/close like before, just go straight closed now) then hit the remote button to open it and then start the car to have a 100% open valve startup and not have to toggle further buttons, BUT I didn' think I had to hit open on the remote every single time I start or before I start the car, that they would just stay open always until I press the remote close button???

Need to do a road test tomorrow, see if they stay shut in quite WOT (to keep my local track with a noise ordinance happy) and if 6th gear will stay open for me. If these things work, I'll probalby still keep this, but not thrilled the valves are auto closing on startup...

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It’s a normally closed valve

meaning when the cars off and no power is going to it, they will shut.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It’s a normally closed valve

meaning when the cars off and no power is going to it, they will shut.
Are you sure? My grimspeed plugs leave the exhaust wife open all the time. They're completely disconnected from power and stay open.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Are you sure? My grimspeed plugs leave the exhaust wife open all the time. They're completely disconnected from power and stay open.
Good point, I had the grimspeed plugs before as well and forgot about that.

I have the specs for the factory valves, they are the same on all of the dodge chargers, challengers, audis etc. it states that they are NC, normally closed. Perhaps it’s a typo.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I’m positive the valves with the awe installed will close when pressing clutch when starting (again, they don’t flutter open close check like before, just straight close), as in turning car off with them open Keeps then open until you press the clutch before startup. I thought the car no longer had any control of them, and that’s true for the exhaust toggle button and the mode button, but apparently it still somehow closes them when pressing clutch in on startup.

I’m annoyed cars make us do this procedural every time we start. They really need to maintain the settings we left them in when we turned them off.

will road test the system in a couple hours when wife gets back to watch the kids, then have a 4hr drive to Pitt Race for a track day tomorrow, hopefully don’t have a rip out job before hand...

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It will do the job other than the starting procedure.

as for the procedures, thank the government.

My dad turns off the start/stop feature in his bmw every morning.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This worked flawlessly on the road. Valves stay shut during WOT now and 6th gear highway cruising with valves open was SO much more enjoyable, zero drone, perfect exhaust sound. I have zero idea why 6th is auto muted in every setting, but it was a big mess up by Ford not to let people override or choose.

My only complaint is the continued valve closing each time I restart the car, so now I have to hit the open button on the remote, start the car, and select sport or track mode every single time. Considering the valve toggle doesn’t work and the mode changes don’t control valves, I’m at a loss as to why/the car still auto closes valves at start, and it must be programmed into this unit. I have a call into tech support to figure out why.
Sponsored