Sponsored

Cobra driver charged with stunt driving in Hamilton ON.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Why did Ford stop using the name Cobra though? I remember that was the GOAT car when I was a kid. Why not just call the GT350 the Cobra?
Old guys like me love the Shelby name. I was in high school in the mid 80s and the 60s and early 70s muscle cars were number 1 to me at that time. I liked the Fox Mustangs, but I didn't have the dough for a new car back then.

I never really knew much about the 2003 Cobra and forced induction really isn't my thing. When the 4.6 came out it seemed like a boat anchor to me and I had no interest in newer Mustangs until I saw ads for the 400+ HP 5.0. I knew I wanted to own a Mustang with a 5.0 then.

I don't know about other people my age, but to me a Cobra is a 2 seater that whipped Corvettes on track. To me, Mustang and Cobra don't go together.
Sponsored

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I don't like when cars are named after one person because it implies he should get all the credit for that car, when in fact entire teams of engineers worked on it.

I was a kid when the Mustang was redesigned in 1994 and thought it was so futuristic looking and imagined myself driving one when I got older. If only my 10 year old self could see me now. :)

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Old guys like me love the Shelby name. I was in high school in the mid 80s and the 60s and early 70s muscle cars were number 1 to me at that time. I liked the Fox Mustangs, but I didn't have the dough for a new car back then.

I never really knew much about the 2003 Cobra and forced induction really isn't my thing. When the 4.6 came out it seemed like a boat anchor to me and I had no interest in newer Mustangs until I saw ads for the 400+ HP 5.0. I knew I wanted to own a Mustang with a 5.0 then.

I don't know about other people my age, but to me a Cobra is a 2 seater that whipped Corvettes on track. To me, Mustang and Cobra don't go together.
My favorite car from when I knew cars were awesome till I realized I'd never fit in one lol.

https://apexautomag.com/2018/03/1967-shelby-cobra-427/

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I don't like when cars are named after one person because it implies he should get all the credit for that car, when in fact entire teams of engineers worked on it.

I was a kid when the Mustang was redesigned in 1994 and thought it was so futuristic looking and imagined myself driving one when I got older. If only my 10 year old self could see me now. :)
I see your point. Drivers don't win races without their team of mechanics and strategists either. I do like the excusive editions though. They usually look more appealing and of course the little performance bumps.

My dad had a 90 when I was about to get my license and because my brother got his last car, we all thought the stang would be mine and dad would get a Porsche or something. He learned from his mistake with my brother though and likely saved my life when he got me a little honda that went 0-60 in 2 weeks. I always thank him for it because we both know I would have killed myself in it. Dang near killed myself in the honda on more than several occasions. I always offer to let him drive my car now but he always just wants to ride shotgun. He drives a Prius now and on summer days, a 700hp 69 Nova.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Tesla was a scientist who discovered alternating current, so there are probably many roads named after him. He was a brilliant scientist while he was young, but then he became bonkers in his old age and claimed to be working on a death ray, and to be able to communicate with aliens.
Rather than patent and profit from his numerous critical inventions Tesla let them go into the public domain. Good guys get a little slack in the bonkers department.

I have had some non-automotive fun in my time, as well: I was in a (very small) Hollywood movie about/connected to Nicola Tesla; Grandpa (Bob Munns) was my Air Force roommate for a while. We were in another (very small) Hollywood movie, too. You have to scroll down pretty far to find me.

Sponsored

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Like Ford, Chevrolet or Ferrari? I don't have a problem with the Shelby name. I think it's great that people like Shelby and Iaccoca were involved with the Mustang. Yes there are lots of other people working on the cars who designed tail lights or bumpers, but the main impetus and most of the RISK of failure was with only a few people and they deserve some credit.

I remember the concepts for the 1994. I thought the concepts were cool but the final car was too watered down. A guy I know called the 1994 the Mustang III because it was so ugly.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The Shelby organization was really small back in the 1960's when the original [Shelby] Cobra and Shelby Mustangs were developed. Too small to have had "entire teams of engineers" on the payroll unless you're going to count the engineers at AC Cars and Ford for developing the basic components used by Shelby in what was basically a "tuner shop". Shelby was probably a little bigger than Vorshlag is today, but I think closer to that level than, say, AMG or the 'M' side at BMW.

It's reasonable to name the business or the product after the person who made it happen, and more than a little traditional within the automotive industry. See Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Chrysler, Packard, Ferrari, Honda, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Toyota (Toyoda), Lamborghini, and the 'Benz' half of M-B. All of which became car makes, not just individual car models within makes.

Norm

Sponsored
OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I always thought of the Shelby name as marketing nonsense and the Cobra name belonged on 2 seaters.

texaswrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MAGNETIC
or you got old dudes on this website slapping cobra badges on their 5.0 mustangs and get mad when we hate on them
I'm old dude, 50, and have never put a Cobra badge on anything other than my 2004 Cobra, brah. :shock:
Sponsored