Sponsored

Sales 3rd qtr 2019

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to stay with Mustang II topic. Introduced in 1974 Ford sold 385,993 Mustang II in 1974. It had no major recalls. Ford used (unlike GM) virgin rolled steel and it had no corrosion history. In the last sales year, 1978, Mustang II sold 192,410 units. Ford put the 'healthy V8' in the Cobra II. Pictured is the T-Top King Cobra appearance package. It was built one year, 1978, and slightly under 4400 were made. The Cobra II had the Boss 302 engine that was in the 1970 Sport Roof Mustang and dozens of other fast Fords and Mustangs. Is 2800 pounds with a Boss 302 and Tremec 3550 5 speed MT stooping low? The Cobra II was the first Mustang to wear the 5.0 badge. As a response to the 1973 Arab oil embargo many Mustang II were bought with 4 and 6 cylinder engines. The Mustang II was built for the market that existed in it's day. The Mustang II always get's knocked because of the 4 and 6 cylinders units were not up to the reputation Carol Shelby, Steve McQueen, Parnelli Jones, A J Foyt, Mario and a dozen other guys who raced them created. That does not make Stang II a bad car. People loved them and they were still running around this town into the 1990s. I bought a Chevy Van in 1975 in S California. By 1978 it had fender and rocker panel rust that just pissed me off. It never rains in San Diego. How did that happen? Knock the Mustang II as you and others may, by today's sales standards, it would take GM eight years of Camaro sales to equal Mustang II sales in just 1974. Forget about it!
Like I said - styling is personal. But PLEASE - PLEASE don't call the King Cobra's anemic, EPA and CAFE (new for 1978) addled TWO barrel a "Boss 302". It wasn't. It had 8.4:1 compression ratio and churned out a monster 138HP. And it had a Borg Warner 4 speed.
Sponsored

Arcadia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 Velocity Blue
Here's to stooping low. I got your Pinto, right here baby!

pinto1.JPG
pinto2.JPG
pinto3.JPG
pinto4.JPG
pinto5.JPG
HAHA - I still think the Pinto was the best car I ever owned. Dang thing was a tank and handled the snow well. Never had any issues and if you ignore the potential for rear end collision gas tank fires was a pretty safe car. Once when a driver hit me lightly in the rear I jumped out of the car and ran - the driver in the car that hit me almost had a heart attack (this was when the news had all the info on the cars catching on fire with rear end hits). Even today the Pinto lives on in Ethics College Courses all over America!

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Low enough that they went BANKRUPT :crackup::cwl:
Like I said - I don't do blind brand loyalty. If a manufacturer doesn't make a car / truck that is pleasing to ME (I'm the one paying for it and driving it after all) the brand doesn't matter. But bring up the bankruptcy of GM - I'm assuming you are referring to the TARP bailout?...that's a bit disingenuous. Ford took over 5 billion in low interest government loans during the bailout, not to mention Ford Motor Credit borrowing 15 Billion. In fact many auto industry experts consider these government backed loans and the fact that Ford agreed to streamlining EV and "clean" vehicle development to try and meet the then goals of that Presidential administration's EPA - were major factors in keeping Ford FROM filing bankruptcy.

This site is SO much better than most when it comes to brand bickering and sniping....but dear God - is anyone actually defending the Mustang II? Every brand has its issues (see Coyote tick, new Explorer SUV issues). I love my Mustang. It's a great car and even better when the price I paid for it is considered and compared against cars that can even compete in the performance categories at that price point.

Come on........next thing people will be defending the Edsel.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Like I said - I don't do blind brand loyalty. If a manufacturer doesn't make a car / truck that is pleasing to ME (I'm the one paying for it and driving it after all) the brand doesn't matter. But bring up the bankruptcy of GM - I'm assuming you are referring to the TARP bailout?...that's a bit disingenuous. Ford took over 5 billion in low interest government loans during the bailout, not to mention Ford Motor Credit borrowing 15 Billion. In fact many auto industry experts consider these government backed loans and the fact that Ford agreed to streamlining EV and "clean" vehicle development to try and meet the then goals of that Presidential administration's EPA - were major factors in keeping Ford FROM filing bankruptcy.

This site is SO much better than most when it comes to brand bickering and sniping....but dear God - is anyone actually defending the Mustang II? Every brand has its issues (see Coyote tick, new Explorer SUV issues). I love my Mustang. It's a great car and even better when the price I paid for it is considered and compared against cars that can even compete in the performance categories at that price point.

OK, that’s enough. Leave the Edsel alone. :angry::explode::punch:
upload_2019-10-9_11-40-40.jpeg

:cwl::crackup::cwl::crackup:

Just remember one thing, if there was no Mustang II there may have never been a Fox body.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

My only comment on the Mustang II and Vega is that all American car mfr at that time were forced to make those types of cars. They ignored the signs of what was coming and then rushed to try and compensate. it took decades to recover from that. So I would not use those era cars as a benchmark to compare Ford, GM Chrysler products as they all sucked. Today those 3 brands are fairly equal in the quality of their products and most people go with what they prefer. I think the reason why the Mustang stands out a bit with sales is because there is an unbroken line of them being produced. The camaro, challenger and charger all had lengthy breaks of them being produced and the charger is now a 4 door. I actually like the charger and would get one except that it is auto only and is a deal breaker for me. Otherwise it is a pretty kick ass car.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
By the way let’s not forget this one. Maybe not a GT350 but pretty damn nice for 1978.
upload_2019-10-9_11-44-58.jpeg

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
My only comment on the Mustang II and Vega is that all American car mfr at that time were forced to make those types of cars. They ignored the signs of what was coming and then rushed to try and compensate. it took decades to recover from that. So I would not use those era cars as a benchmark to compare Ford, GM Chrysler products as they all sucked. Today those 3 brands are fairly equal in the quality of their products and most people go with what they prefer. I think the reason why the Mustang stands out a bit with sales is because there is an unbroken line of them being produced. The camaro, challenger and charger all had lengthy breaks of them being produced and the charger is now a 4 door. I actually like the charger and would get one except that it is auto only and is a deal breaker for me. Otherwise it is a pretty kick ass car.
Agreed. We won't even talk about how bad QC was for all Domestic manufacturers in the 70's and into the 80's. Yeah - when the Charger came back, it was weird it was a 4 door - but I could have gotten over that. Not having at least an extra cost option for a manual transmission was also the reason I never looked at one seriously. Just personal preference. I know modern 8 and 10 speed automatics perform better than a manual - it's just personal preference for me.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
Like I said - styling is personal. But PLEASE - PLEASE don't call the King Cobra's anemic, EPA and CAFE (new for 1978) addled TWO barrel a "Boss 302". It wasn't. It had 8.4:1 compression ratio and churned out a monster 138HP. And it had a Borg Warner 4 speed.
So you think I am defending the Mustang II. Are you attacking the Mustang II? Because they sold 1,107,718 in five years? Or for some other reason? How did Mustang II ruin your life? Pictured above is 1978 King Cobra with Ford 302 ci V8, Edebrock 4V/manifold, Long tube headers, Ram Clutch, high volt ignition, Comp cam, Tremec 5 speed, 2800 pound GVW. Is that a fast car? No it can't be. It is against the law to modify a Mustang in America. I got you Pinto right here baby!

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
By the way let’s not forget this one. Maybe not a GT350 but pretty damn nice for 1978.
upload_2019-10-9_11-44-58.jpeg
I was in 1st or 2nd grade then. Keep in mind you could also buy a '78 Firebird / Trans AM with a big block and a 4 speed. Low HP - but tons of low to mid range torque. Or a '78 Z28 Camaro 4 speed with a 185 HP 350...

Or a dirt cheap big block 4 speed muscle car on the used market........

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
So you think I am defending the Mustang II. Are you attacking the Mustang II? Because they sold 1,107,718 in five years? Or for some other reason? How did Mustang II ruin your life? Pictured above is 1978 King Cobra with Ford 302 ci V8, Edebrock 4V/manifold, Long tube headers, Ram Clutch, high volt ignition, Comp cam, Tremec 5 speed, 2800 pound GVW. Is that a fast car? No it can't be. It is against the law to modify a Mustang in America. I got you Pinto right here baby!
Why are you mad? The Mustang II did nothing to me. You list the specs on a built Mustang II and that is somehow considered representative of the FACTORY version? People have different opinions. In the car world that's GREAT for us - because if all of us like the same thing we'd have CRAP for aftermarket and CRAP for factory performance cars - because there wouldn't be any competition for market share. I wasn't referring to a modified car. Chevy Vega's SUCKED. But a lot of the suckage went away with a healthy small block dropped in.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Why are you mad? The Mustang II did nothing to me. You list the specs on a built Mustang II and that is somehow considered representative of the FACTORY version? People have different opinions. In the car world that's GREAT for us - because if all of us like the same thing we'd have CRAP for aftermarket and CRAP for factory performance cars - because there wouldn't be any competition for market share. I wasn't referring to a modified car. Chevy Vega's SUCKED. But a lot of the suckage went away with a healthy small block dropped in.
Remember the 1979 Chevy Monza. It was an offshoot of the Vega and could be had with a 5.0 small block in it. Unfortunately you had to pull the engine to get to the back spark plugs :headbang:

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500

I don't care what you do or don't do.loans and BANKRUPTCY are two different things :cwl:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The Mustang II was a good car IMO - or at least not completely terrible. Small and light with a V8. The engine was crap, but all engines were crap at that time.
The Mustang II had SLA front suspension, now we have struts. Upgrade? Not really. I get that Ford wants the car to be inexpensive, but it's too bad they couldn't have kept an SLA front suspension in the Mustang.

I wish the current Mustang were closer to Mustang II weight as well.

It definitely didn't have a Boss 302 in it. Not sure the Cleveland type canted valve heads would even fit in a Mustang II.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
That was no Boss 302 in the Mustang II, far from it.....
Sponsored