Sponsored

Ford buy back attempt 2018 Mustang GT “typewriter tick/rattle.”

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Best to open it and find out if there's an issue. To be honest, mine has a very noticeable typewriter tick. I thought my car was going to fall apart. After 15,000mi of ticking with some of the best synthetic oils and even Ceratec, my oil filters have little to nothing inside worth writing home about. No abnormal metal that I can see. 99% of cars with the tick and rattle literally have nothing notably wrong with them, even after some have torn the engines apart and measured all components they thought were an issue.
Yeah let's see hopefully there is nothing bad :D
This is my second engine, I cannot take another failure haha

Not sure if you read the thread I linked to in my post, when I drained the oil I only got out 8 qts.....
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah let's see hopefully there is nothing bad :D
This is my second engine, I cannot take another failure haha

Not sure if you read the thread I linked to in my post, when I drained the oil I only got out 8 qts.....
I noticed. It's supposed to have 10qts. However, the oil pan is huge in this new version. As long as you still had normal oil pressure, it will still run with only 8 qts with no real adverse affects.

Maz, Have you seen this video? This a guy in the UK has a 2017 2nd gen motor, yet also had the typewriter tick. He had the whole thing torn down by a professional 3rd party, because his tune voided his warranty. Yet, even with all the add-ons tune, and equipment that put even more stress on the engine than OEM stock, they found nothing wrong with it. So, he tossed in a can of Ceratec, and VOILA! the tick was gone. LOL

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I am not sure how many this would apply to, but That1320chick had an in-depth analysis done on her car to determine why the car was ticking. Here are two videos I recommend you watch from her series that shows what they found. I hope this is informative.
Thing is, they only made a visual inspection and didn't do any main and rod bearing clearance, or rod side clearance measurements.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Ford can say it is normal, that is fine. It is their own ass they are covering and protecting from a recall with a $10k part replacement, with no fix. I have had the "tick" since 1k. The car now has 5k on it. I run the piss out of it and enjoy. But also, in the back of my mind are the facts that :

1) The noise did not emerge till 1k
2) Ceratec got rid of the tick
3) After my second oil change (at 4500) the tick came back.
4) Adding another bottle of Ceratec got rid of it AGAIN.

More importantly, SOME have the tick, SOME do not. So, the cars that do not, are they "abnormal" then?

Engineering basics, if they ALL do it, then call it normal, if say, 25%-50% (number out of the sky) do, then there is a tolerance or production issue that Ford is sweeping under the rug. The fact that a band aid product like Ceratec eliminates the issue, if sometimes temporally, is another glaring point.

All Yotes are noisy....? My 15 GT was not in the least. from 88 miles at pick up to 13.8k when I traded for the 18. Not one tick, squeak, rattle or whimper.

Please don't take this as a bash, I love my 18' to death. I will be keeping this one for a long time and eventually going sc'd down the road. The car keeps getting faster and faster as the miles increase, but there IS an issue here.

Final thought and question...

Anybody buy, drive, listen to a 2020 Yote yet? Tick and rattle?

We shall see.

Sponsored

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
I don't know what the source of our tick is and I don't really care. My car hasn't done it yet at 2,000 miles, and I have zero worries.

That being said, the point of my post is to say that if you think our problems are bad, go check out the valve train noise threads in the Miata forums. Those cars have had lifter tick since they came out. People still complain, but still no one has been able to document a failure. Most have just accepted that this is the way of things. I suspect we should do the same.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know what the source of our tick is and I don't really care. My car hasn't done it yet at 2,000 miles, and I have zero worries.

That being said, the point of my post is to say that if you think our problems are bad, go check out the valve train noise threads in the Miata forums. Those cars have had lifter tick since they came out. People still complain, but still no one has been able to document a failure. Most have just accepted that this is the way of things. I suspect we should do the same.
You are likely correct...

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
True regarding the oil pressure I guess the car would throw a code if the oil pressure would be to low (I hope)
However if there is still oil in the pan do I have to much oil in the car :D. The dip stick looks ok though...

I have not yet seen the vid, will have a look later today, thanks.

//M

I noticed. It's supposed to have 10qts. However, the oil pan is huge in this new version. As long as you still had normal oil pressure, it will still run with only 8 qts with no real adverse affects.

Maz, Have you seen this video? This a guy in the UK has a 2017 2nd gen motor, yet also had the typewriter tick. He had the whole thing torn down by a professional 3rd party, because his tune voided his warranty. Yet, even with all the add-ons tune, and equipment that put even more stress on the engine than OEM stock, they found nothing wrong with it. So, he tossed in a can of Ceratec, and VOILA! the tick was gone. LOL

maxthegolden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium convertible
I’m using this platform as documentation in my buy back procedure through Ford.

07/18 I purchased a 2018 Mustang GT at Lorenzo Ford dealer homestead FL. On (02/13/19) I had a ticking/ rattle coming from under the car. I proceeded to Lorenzo fords service department to have it inspected, 10 days later (02/23/19) upon return of the vehicle Ford service had replaced the resonator/clamp however there was still interment ticking on cold starts. (07/16/19) the interment ticking on cold starts has gotten significantly worse at this time I return the vehicle to Lorenzo fords service due to a interment ticking noise coming from the engine bay, especially on cold starts. Upon doing my own research it seems the problem is common and Ford is aware of the issue nick naming it the “type writer tick” or “bbq tick”. I dealt with Dennis Winch as my service advisor and a week had gone by with no updates or follow ups. At this point I tried reaching out to get some info on the status of the car yet nobody had no information on the car and I had come to find out Dennis left on vacation and won’t be back for some time, I was irritated at this point. I spoke to The service department who assured me she’d reach out to the director to have him personally follow up on my car and get back to me. On 07/24/19 a service advisor Gabriel De Los Santos reached out to me informing me my car was ready. I was skeptical because no updates were provided so I asked what was the initial problem and was told the flywheel had been replaced as well as the cylinder asy clutch slave. Upon going to pick my car the next day I asked if any techs can ride along with me to assure the ticking sound is gone yet nobody was available so the manager of the service department Brandon Barrows told me if I hear the noise to just bring the car back. Sure enough as soon as I started the car the ticking noise was still evident so I returned the vehicle immediately. At this point a service advisor was available to ride along and confirmed he heard the ticking noise as well.

9 days later on 08/02/19 Lorenzo fords service calls me to inform me that they have replaced the clutch now (I’m skeptical because on the previous service they claim to have replaced the flywheel, you would assume the clutch would be inspected at this point with the transmission removed) however the noise still seems to be present, Lorenzo service at this point claimed to have opened a case with ford directly inquiring about the ticking/rattle and there response was that the ticking sound is “normal” and causes no damage to the vehicle.

08/02/2019 I’m not satisfied with Fords direct response, my car has accumulated over 27 days of service not to mention my car is not a factory assembly built vehicle anymore being that they’ve removed the transmission on multiple occasions trying to get to the source of the ticking/rattle with no success. I reached out to fords customer relations and opened my own case with the intentions of a buy back through ford, I was directed to wait on a follow up through my regional manger (1 Business day) but I was told a buy back is not guaranteed at this point.

08/05/2019 I follow up to see the status of my case because NO regional manger has reached out to me, at this point my car is ready for pick up from Lorenzo fords service team (with noise still evident) however ford recommends I wait to speak directly with the regional manager so they can coordinate with my service department to see the next plan of action, Ford customer relations assures me I will be contacted by the end of the day. NOBODY reached out to me and I’m still waiting to be contacted.

(08/06/19) this is day 4 no follow up I reach out to customer relations who claimed I’d be reached within 1 business day. Express my frustration being at a stand still waiting for others actions to relieve my situation. Ford provides me with a regional manager (Celeste Baez) phone number (866)-631-3788 Ext:77702. An attempt to transfer me directly over to speak with regional manager is made with no success I’m told a voice mail is left with my info and I will be contacted soon if not I can try and reach out myself with the info provided.

The vehicle has been out of service 27 days to repair one or more substantial defects.

3x attempts to repair the same substantial defect or condition. (Transmission removed on multiple occasions)

To be continued....

maxthegolden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium convertible
MY BUY BACK IS COMPLETE...special ordered car , MAY 2018 got all the bells and whistles in wanted. I noticed the 2 k rattle at 10 miles on the car, no ticking...the car was a 6 spd convertible so I could hear it very easy with the top down.I waited to do the the first oil change and still the rattle. Ford said sound is normal for 5.0....I had a 2011 5.0 that did not make any tick or rattle.... parked car for winter..then in may 2019 I asked dealer to bore scope motor..ford agreed and found scoring in a few cylinders... the car had 3500 miles,,requested buyback and ford denied it. Ford ordered a long block for the car. The dealer was great and fully agreed. The new engine was a 2019 engine...took over a month to get swaped….tech did a great job..took their time and no scratches or any damage...I let Ford know that I would not be happy if the engine was like the factory one.The new long block ticked and rattled louder than the original...I requested a buyback July 29th 2019. Ford RAV approved buyback AUG 6 2019. The buyback was complete on OCT 5 2019. Ford stepped up to the plate and did the right thing. I loved the car and it was a pleasure driving it.. but for 50k I shouldn't hear an engine rattle as I go through the gears. Still love Fords! just not the 2018/19 5.0

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
What does the 2k rattle sound like ?

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
It sounds like a mechanical lobe driven high pressure fuel pump that starts to resonate as the DI system starts engaging around 2,000rpm.

Oh wait...that's because it most likely is.
I haven't really noticed that. Yet.

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah mine starting ticking. Colder weather brought it on. It sounds more like a clicking when turn on a gas range to start it. Only on the first cold start of the day and it only lasts a minute or 2 before it quiets down to the point you can't hear it. I'm not even sure it's the engine. Doesn't sound like an engine noise but who knows.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
It sounds like a mechanical lobe driven high pressure fuel pump that starts to resonate as the DI system starts engaging around 2,000rpm.

Oh wait...that's because it most likely is.
Yup. If it isn't drinking oil or down on power drive on.
Sponsored