New to turbos and ecoboost platform

Likaboss302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost manual
Hello! I want to start off by saying I’m new to the ecoboost platform and turbos in general. I originally planned on getting a 5.0 ive wanted one since they came out in 2011, the s550 came out and I was in love, but prices here in North Carolina are ridiculous on s550 5.0s so I was looking at the 3.7 mainly but slightly open to the 2.3t I had a manual 3.8 new edge and was like I’ll build the v6 with a procharger and supporting mods and call it a day. Well I drove the 2.3 and was blown away to be honest it pulled almost as hard as my 4.6 3v. Anyways point being that I’m very inexperienced with this platform and want to learn more what mods to do how much boost and power can I make reliably on the stock internals and such I have gotten a custom made y pipe for my resonator and a muffer delete done on the car. It is a 6 speed manual car base model with the fog light and wheel option I believe I’m not too sure. Just looking for stuff to know, look out for, what I should do and what my limitations should be I currently run 93 in it and I use it as a daily to work and then I deliver pizza in it on the weekend nights, anything will help thanks! (Sorry about the long post) also the clutch spring I think will be the next thing being changed on the car! 2016 mustang ecoboost manual with 31xxx miles
Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Hello! I want to start off by saying I’m new to the ecoboost platform and turbos in general. I originally planned on getting a 5.0 ive wanted one since they came out in 2011, the s550 came out and I was in love, but prices here in North Carolina are ridiculous on s550 5.0s so I was looking at the 3.7 mainly but slightly open to the 2.3t I had a manual 3.8 new edge and was like I’ll build the v6 with a procharger and supporting mods and call it a day. Well I drove the 2.3 and was blown away to be honest it pulled almost as hard as my 4.6 3v. Anyways point being that I’m very inexperienced with this platform and want to learn more what mods to do how much boost and power can I make reliably on the stock internals and such I have gotten a custom made y pipe for my resonator and a muffer delete done on the car. It is a 6 speed manual car base model with the fog light and wheel option I believe I’m not too sure. Just looking for stuff to know, look out for, what I should do and what my limitations should be I currently run 93 in it and I use it as a daily to work and then I deliver pizza in it on the weekend nights, anything will help thanks! (Sorry about the long post) also the clutch spring I think will be the next thing being changed on the car! 2016 mustang ecoboost manual with 31xxx miles
Glad you like the Eco. I love mine. Search this forum for tons of info on potential mods. However, a couple things to consider before you start modifying the engine. If you have less than 60K on the car, you still have some powertrain warranty left. That could prove to be very beneficial. Once you start modding the engine, all bets are off. You also mention that you are relying on this car for work, delivering pizzas. Some modifications can impact reliability. Keep that in mind if you need this car for work. You may want to stick with simple external items such as an intercooler and/or exhaust.

Good luck!

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Yea, that's good advice from SVO MkII...
Most likely you got payments, so major engine work would not be good if unforseen repairs popped up.
One thing to remember- its doesn't matter how fast you get the car to go, after 2 weeks you are gonna get use to it and want more. Nature of the game.

I have similar vehicle:
The manual is your friend and will give you more thrills than added horsepower
The Ford tune I understand is a great value, tho your warranty ends at 36k on power train. But improves power range.
I did stainless charge pipes and cold air intake, painted engine cover. This was at least 50 horsepower at bulls__t sessions.
You can play with wheels, springs to lower to your desired height, wheel spacers to brings wheels out, etc....
Then stripe options if that is your thing.
The best mod to me was the passenger seat mod. My best friend

To me it all about the looks, not how fast.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
My Suggestions.
  • Use only 93+ Octane
  • Upgrade everything you can for the MT-82 (as mentioned) with better fluids, hoses, clutch springs, etc.
  • Put easy miles and don't lug/stress the engine, or go full knucklehead.
  • After 5k miles, at least once a week blast the engine out on the highway @ 70mph+ while in a lower gear @ 5k RPMs. Maintain that for about 2minutes. (Better to do at night when air is cooler-dense). Then simply put into neutral and coast for 15+ seconds, and then feather in 6th gear. Much better for daily driver's who don't get to track there car, this will help "blow the carbon out". You can do this everyday, if the engine has been running for more than 30minutes or is fully heated up. This will clean everything up, including exhaust remnants.
  • After 10k miles, spend the money on a Ford Performance Tune w/air box, etc.... and enjoy your new Mustang to the max.

^^
Be mindful of the oils & fluids. Flush rad once a year, etc..

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
My advice is to get to know the service manager at your local dealership. Some of them will reject any warranty work if you have any mods. I got lucky, my guy has a Fox body he takes to the local drag strip, so we can talk mods all day and he'll warranty just about anything. You'd be wise to find out where your dealership lands on the spectrum.

Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • After 10k miles, spend the money on a Ford Performance Tune w/air box, etc.... and enjoy your new Mustang to the max.
Based on his profile, it would appear the OP bought a 2016, which I'm guessing is not new.

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Based on his profile, it would appear the OP bought a 2016, which I'm guessing is not new.
I think he meant adding a tune would make it a "new" Mustang...

or

Any S550 is a new Mustang, in the grand scheme of Mustang history.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think he meant adding a tune would make it a "new" Mustang...

or

Any S550 is a new Mustang, in the grand scheme of Mustang history.
Gotcha. It's all about priorities, i.e., power, reliability, warranty, etc.

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
  • Use only 93+ Octane
  • Put easy miles and don't lug/stress the engine, or go full knucklehead.
This is probably the best advice to give to a new owner of a turbo car.

Lugging, which is basically high throttle, low rpm is definately something you want to avoid because it WILL result in a hole in your block sooner rather than later.
Lugging and off throttle boost drop are two of big reasons why most manufacturers use auto setups for heavily boosted cars.

And high octane fuel helps prevent detonation.

Also if your car isnt a peformance pack model dont run it too hard for too long because they dont have the upgraded cooling.

OP
OP

Likaboss302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost manual
Thank you too all sorry it’s been a few days I’ve been busy at a my daily job and dominos is slamming right now on the weekends, but anyways thank you all I just received my 30lb clutch spring, and what exactly do y’all mean but high throttle low rpm and “lugging” the engine? This is my second manual mustang my first being a 2000 v6, the 2016 ecoboost though seems to like the ever so slightly nic a gear when shifting into 3and 4 if I don’t rev out the 2 and 3 gear up to about 2900-3200 respectively. If I do that it doesn’t feel like that. I know hard to explain it’s not a grinding or anything like I had when I was learning in my old mustang, but just like it feels almost like it is trying to lock me out of a gear if that makes sense? I know the s197 with the 5.0 that were equipped with the mt82 would do that does the ecoboost and how do I for sure know that it would be that doing it. I’m new to forums so sorry if I don’t know certain things about breaking up my post or whatever thanks again y’all!

Sponsored

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lugging example, youre cruising on the road in 5th an lowish rpm (2000rpm or less), you decide to increase speed to overtake or something, so you step on the gas because you think you should have enough power in that gear and you dont gear down.
Now youre flat out and the RPM is increasing slowly until it picks up and goes. - BAD!

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you too all sorry it’s been a few days I’ve been busy at a my daily job and dominos is slamming right now on the weekends, but anyways thank you all I just received my 30lb clutch spring, and what exactly do y’all mean but high throttle low rpm and “lugging” the engine? This is my second manual mustang my first being a 2000 v6, the 2016 ecoboost though seems to like the ever so slightly nic a gear when shifting into 3and 4 if I don’t rev out the 2 and 3 gear up to about 2900-3200 respectively. If I do that it doesn’t feel like that. I know hard to explain it’s not a grinding or anything like I had when I was learning in my old mustang, but just like it feels almost like it is trying to lock me out of a gear if that makes sense? I know the s197 with the 5.0 that were equipped with the mt82 would do that does the ecoboost and how do I for sure know that it would be that doing it. I’m new to forums so sorry if I don’t know certain things about breaking up my post or whatever thanks again y’all!
My approach is as follows; 1-2K rpms = very light throttle, 2-3K = light to moderate throttle, over 3K = heavy throttle. The gear matters too. The higher the gear, the less throttle at a given rpm.

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
I've ripped my EBM since day 1. Did several redline pulls and allowed the engine to slow it down. Immediately changed the oil and have hit redline every day since. 34k miles on my 2018.

Doesnt burn oil, valves are clean ect.
I do maintenance religiously. but beat the snot out of her daily. Full bolt ons and tuned by Adam for 24k miles. Before that I was on Cobbs OTS and full bolt ons since day 2 lol

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've ripped my EBM since day 1. Did several redline pulls and allowed the engine to slow it down. Immediately changed the oil and have hit redline every day since. 34k miles on my 2018.

Doesnt burn oil, valves are clean ect.
I do maintenance religiously. but beat the snot out of her daily. Full bolt ons and tuned by Adam for 24k miles. Before that I was on Cobbs OTS and full bolt ons since day 2 lol
How do you know your valves are clean ? How are you viewing them ?
Sponsored