roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic V6
Vehicle Showcase
I've looked pretty hard for something pertaining to the 6th gens and OD but can't seem to find any info on it. Essentially wondering if there's anyway for us to manually turn on and off the overdrive feature on the 6R80s. My buddy has a Porsche Cayman S and were matched evenly when we do say a 40 roll race. But once i reach the end of 3rd gear which is ~120mph, the second i shift into 4th to try and keep going you feel the car shift yet again into overdrive and drops me back under 4k rpm instead of the 4200 or so it catches at before hand.
Sponsored

racrguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Put the trans in sport mode and shift it yourself? I’ve got an MT-82, so I always select whether or not it’s in an OD gear.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Put the trans in sport mode and shift it yourself? I’ve got an MT-82, so I always select whether or not it’s in an OD gear.

^^^ Correct.

Put the trans selector into “S”. When the trans is in that selection on a 6R80 or a 10R80 and you touch the paddle shifter - the transmission is in 100% manual mode; it will not upshift until YOU touch the paddle again to shift into the next gear. YES you can redline the car when trans is in S and you are manually shifting via the paddles. The trans can be manually downshifted too. Do note that when in S, the trans will auto downshift when slowing down and when coming to a complete stop, the trans will revert to auto upshift UNLESS you touch the paddle to manually upshift.

Put the Trans in S and the center stack drive “Mode” toggle switch to S+. That will change the factory tune to a more aggressive tune and again once you touch the steering wheel paddle, you’re in manual shift mode.

Have fun.

OP
OP
roryedits

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ Correct.

Put the trans selector into “S”. When the trans is in that selection on a 6R80 or a 10R80 and you touch the paddle shifter - the transmission is in 100% manual mode; it will not upshift until YOU touch the paddle again to shift into the next gear. YES you can redline the car when trans is in S and you are manually shifting via the paddles. The trans can be manually downshifted too. Do note that when in S, the trans will auto downshift when slowing down and when coming to a complete stop, the trans will revert to auto upshift UNLESS you touch the paddle to manually upshift.

Put the Trans in S and the center stack drive “Mode” toggle switch to S+. That will change the factory tune to a more aggressive tune and again once you touch the steering wheel paddle, you’re in manual shift mode.

Have fun.
Yeah like stated above, I am manually shifting the car with paddles in S. And the cyclone mustangs aren't given the option of driving modes with out doing a Sync 3 upgrade

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
But once i reach the end of 3rd gear which is ~120mph, the second i shift into 4th to try and keep going you feel the car shift yet again into overdrive and drops me back under 4k rpm instead of the 4200 or so it catches at before hand.
Something else is going on. There should be no reason that the PCM should shift into 5th pre-maturely if going WOT. The way you describe it is that you hit redline in 3rd @ 120mph, it then shifts into 4th then immediately into 5th. Unless the tune is off, you're most likely overheating the trans or engine to the point where the PCM feels like it has to shortshift into the next gear to prevent major issues.

Otherwise, 4th gear should be good to 140mph before having to shift into overdrive. If you're racing past 140mph, then disabling overdrive won't do anything. You need to extend your gearing by getting lower numerically diff gears or revving higher.

Sponsored

OP
OP
roryedits

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Something else is going on. There should be no reason that the PCM should shift into 5th pre-maturely if going WOT. The way you describe it is that you hit redline in 3rd @ 120mph, it then shifts into 4th then immediately into 5th. Unless the tune is off, you're most likely overheating the trans or engine to the point where the PCM feels like it has to shortshift into the next gear to prevent major issues.

Otherwise, 4th gear should be good to 140mph before having to shift into overdrive. If you're racing past 140mph, then disabling overdrive won't do anything. You need to extend your gearing by getting lower numerically diff gears or revving higher.
Nah, it says its still in 4th, you can just feel OD kick in as if its shifting again, and car runs rather cool when driving these kind of speeds. Well cylinder head temps and everything drop when racing compared to where they sat at before i launch

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Nah, it says its still in 4th, you can just feel OD kick in as if its shifting again, and car runs rather cool when driving these kind of speeds. Well cylinder head temps and everything drop when racing compared to where they sat at before i launch
That's not OD then, if it's staying in 4th it's not OD. OD is 5th or 6th gears.

You may be experiencing converter lockup, which is tune driven. What are the trans temps at this point?

OP
OP
roryedits

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's not OD then, if it's staying in 4th it's not OD. OD is 5th or 6th gears.

You may be experiencing converter lockup, which is tune driven. What are the trans temps at this point?
I'd have to check on the temps, I don't get to drive those speeds regularly unfortunately. But from what i've read elsewhere, OD can also work outside of the gearing in the transmission where it changes up to where it gears up elsewhere to where it takes up to 30% off the engine to where the engine is only turning at 70% while the trans is still doing 100%, which could easily be a tune issue, I went ahead and emailed MPT about it. I just remember there being a manual OD option in my old 2003 mustang that would disable 4th gear

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I'd have to check on the temps, I don't get to drive those speeds regularly unfortunately. But from what i've read elsewhere, OD can also work outside of the gearing in the transmission where it changes up to where it gears up elsewhere to where it takes up to 30% off the engine to where the engine is only turning at 70% while the trans is still doing 100%, which could easily be a tune issue, I went ahead and emailed MPT about it. I just remember there being a manual OD option in my old 2003 mustang that would disable 4th gear
Like I said, it's not OD. OD is just something to describe a gear and in the Mustang it's 5th or 6th. If it doesn't shift into those gears, it's not in OD There's no in between.

That feature in your 2003 Mustang basically limited the PCM to gears 1-3, not allowing it to shift into 4th which was the OD gear.

And converter lockup can feel like that, so it's probably that if it does indeed stay in 4th.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Do you have the ability to datalog? Could look at tqslip to see if its the convertor locking

Sponsored
OP
OP
roryedits

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Like I said, it's not OD. OD is just something to describe a gear and in the Mustang it's 5th or 6th. If it doesn't shift into those gears, it's not in OD There's no in between.

That feature in your 2003 Mustang basically limited the PCM to gears 1-3, not allowing it to shift into 4th which was the OD gear.

And converter lockup can feel like that, so it's probably that if it does indeed stay in 4th.
I guess we will see, cuz it legit feels like it shifts again, but the gear indicator still says 4th. Tho MPT tune made it to where it always shows your gear even if you're in D, so maybe a malfunction with it shifting again but tune makes it say 4th? who knows all i know is itll catch at 4200rpm in 4th then drop again to 3700 even when its mashed

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If it's in 4th it's in 4th. Overdrive is another way of saying any gear that is under a 1:1 gear ratio in the transmission. So the 6R80 has 2 overdrives, 5th and 6th. The MT82 has 1. The 8HP90 has 3. I agree with EFI, it's the converter playing around.

OP
OP
roryedits

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the ability to datalog? Could look at tqslip to see if its the convertor locking
Yeah i can datalog, but issue is 3rd gear ends so far up there, i typically only do those speeds when were going to and from cars and coffee in austin thats about a 30-40 minute drive, I assume it would be rather dangerous to redline 3rd going into 4th on a dyno

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Datalog the race? I'm going to also say it is convertor lockup you are feeling which is what you want but you are going to need more power

OP
OP
roryedits

roryedits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Datalog the race? I'm going to also say it is convertor lockup you are feeling which is what you want but you are going to need more power
Big OOF. I'm hopefully somewhere in the range of 370-400 crank hp rn, haven't had the time to go get it dynoed again since my stock run. Ill datalog next time i do but its probably about 2 weeks before the next time we may run.
Sponsored