OP
OP
Zinc03svt

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I remember you over at svtperf. I had 2 03 Cobras - one with a KB that put down 600 rwhp until it blew up. Cool cars but I hated the torture chamber ergonomics.
No kidding Lol. Same user name. Agreed. They were ass kickers back in 2004-2005 before the c6 zo6 showed up in 2006. I could never get my MGW shifter tight enough with the allen screw on the handle adjustment. Every time I shifted hard into 3rd the shifter handle would swing up into the radio knobs. Pissed me off... Lol.
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Anyone think a gen4 is possible for the coyote. The coyotes come such a long way but personally Iā€™m not sure a gen4 will happen. Not because ford canā€™t squeeze out more horsepower but I think the next steps are to finish perfecting the gen3 and start adding electric motors for extra power and move all the mustangs to DCT of course with manual still being available.
I agree, actually. The gen 3 seems to be a rather large jump (in design and tech, not numbers) as opposed to the jump from gen 1 to gen 2. It seems like Ford might have just went with everything they wanted to do (or capable of in the given moment), as a last hoorah, before the shift to electric hybrids and twin turbos happen.

Even though my first one went kaboom at <1000 miles, I do love this engine. It's been about 50-60Ā° F out here and the gen 3 absolutely shreds when the ECU is bumping the timing up as far as the stock tune will go. Driving home late last night, open expressway, some pick up and a Cadillac were taunting each other and I... well I had to get in on the fun. Punched it in third, the cadi was left behind, but whatever that damn truck was (svt lightning or the tundra?) surprised the hell out of me. It was sleek, definitely supercharged, and it kept right with me until we both backed way off once we realized we hit 130+ mph. Smart? Nope, but exhilarating as all hell. It's not fun when you make the other dude look like they're tied to a tree. I remember my dad wanted to mess around one day, and he said he had to look at his speedometer to make sure something wasn't broken because it felt like he was standing still compared to me :giggle:

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
[QUOTE="Idaho2018GTPremium, post: 2676366]

Is there another naturally aspirated engine making more hp per liter (not counting voodoo) that isnā€™t in an exotic (I.e Lamborghini Ferrari, Porsche, etc.)?[/QUOTE]

Various production Hondas have made over 100hp/liter:
S2000 120hp/L - > 600hp if scaled up to 5.oL

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Is there another naturally aspirated engine making more hp per liter (not counting voodoo) that isnā€™t in an exotic (I.e Lamborghini Ferrari, Porsche, etc.)?
There's at least 3 Lexus models putting out at least 467 HP from 5.0 liters . . .

Norm

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
[QUOTE="Idaho2018GTPremium, post: 2676366]

Is there another naturally aspirated engine making more hp per liter (not counting voodoo) that isnā€™t in an exotic (I.e Lamborghini Ferrari, Porsche, etc.)?

This has probably already been said, but the Mercedes-Benz CLA/GLA 45 AMG makes 187.5 horsepower per liter. It makes 375 horsepower out of a turbo-charged 2.0 liter 4-cylinder. So there's hope for the Ford Focus RS and maybe even the Mustang Ecoboost HPP.

For a production car, I believe this is the highest horsepower per liter even beating out Ferrari's. It ties the Bugatti Chiron for the highest as the Chiron makes 187.5 horsepower per liter but has 1500 horsepower and takes a massive 8.0 liter quad-turbo-charged 16-cylinder engine to do it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Idaho did specify "normally aspirated', though . . . so for the purposes of his request any form of power addition is off the table (PD, centri, turbo, nitrous, hybrid, etc.).

Norm

Reactions: Ebm

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Idaho did specify "normally aspirated', though . . . so for the purposes of his request any form of power addition is off the table (PD, centri, turbo, nitrous, hybrid, etc.).

Norm
Whoops. I'm an idiot Norm. :giggle:

Sorry guys.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
There's at least 3 Lexus models putting out at least 467 HP from 5.0 liters . . .

Norm
Good recollection, I forgot about those. The Lexus LC (471 hp) is actually slightly smaller at 4.97 liters (303 c.i.) than the Gen 3 Coyote at 5.03 liters (307 c.i.). The Lexus engine has a 12.3:1 compression ratio (Gen 3 Coyote = 12.0:1). Lexus "5.0" = 94.8 hp/liter Gen 3 Coyote = 91.5 hp/liter. Bullitt Coyote = 95.4 hp/liter, for comparison.

I think a Gen 4 coyote is possible, IF it could meet emissions: Slightly hotter camshaft, 12.5:1 compression ratio, revised tuning, and the Bullitt Coyote upgrades. Would likely put it around 500 hp. If Mazda can do 13:1 compression ratio with a gasoline engine, then I don't see why Ford couldn't do 12.5:1 with the Coyote.

texaswrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MAGNETIC
I remember you over at svtperf. I had 2 03 Cobras - one with a KB that put down 600 rwhp until it blew up. Cool cars but I hated the torture chamber ergonomics.
Another SVT forum member checking in.

texaswrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MAGNETIC
Another SVT forum member checking in.
Sponsored