Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Compared to my recently traded in 2016, the oil pressures on my 2019 seems quite low.

-Cold start at 60 degrees = peg to 100, then within 2-3 seconds goes down to 40-45 PSI.
-Completely warmed, sitting in traffic, I see idle pressures around 10 PSI.

Did Ford use a lower pressure oil-pump? Or is my 2K mile engine about to implode?

Yes, oil levels have been monitored and maintained. I've added 1/2 a quart so far. I'm changing the oil today.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Yeah, much lower pressure on Gen 3. My '18 behaves just like the OP.

The '16 I had kept the pressure really high during warmup.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
I dont ever remember mine being below 20psi warm. But I could be wrong
Same with my 2016. Your is an auto though, I can understand it idling with higher PSIs.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Yeah, much lower pressure on Gen 3. My '18 behaves just like the OP.
It does? How many miles on your car?

I'm just trying to settle my concerns over the pressures. The car runs great, like a freight-train. The pressures just concern me.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Mine sits between 15 to 20 warm then spikes to 80 and sits there when I'm getting on it. Scared the crap out of me at first. The spike to 80 and 3k rpm had me thinking the needle was going to pop out if I brought it to redline. I still can't say I'm comfortable looking at it.

The oil pumps have a built in relief or bypass of some kind that's electronically controlled for fuel economy.

EDIT: Wait, you have a 2016? Uh my info is for 2018 and up. Oops

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Same with my 2016.......concerning.
Mine sits between 15 to 20 warm then spikes to 80 and sits there when I'm getting on it. Scared the crap out of me at first. The spike to 80 and 3k rpm had me thinking the needle was going to pop out if I brought it to redline. I still can't say I'm comfortable looking at it.

The oil pumps have a built in relief or bypass of some kind that's electronically controlled for fuel economy.

No, I have a new 2019.

I was wondering if Ford had done something to the oil pumps for MPGs. That sort of makes sense with what I'm seeing on my pressure guage. The pressure is there when needed, but drops when there's no load on the engine.

Brandon_SVT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red Mustang GT Premium PP1

my 2018 does the same thing and it freaks me out everytime! it when i start it it will be really high around 80-100 then drop down to 15-25, if its not fully warmed up if i go to about 3-4k rpms it spikes up to 80-100 psi. seems okay once warmed tho and the car run amazing, just the cold starts had me freaked out. mine has 2400 miles on it.

also op has an 19 but was comparing to a past 16 he owned.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
No, I have a new 2019.

I was wondering if Ford had done something to the oil pumps for MPGs. That sort of makes sense with what I'm seeing on my pressure guage. The pressure is there when needed, but drops when there's no load on the engine.
Okay, then ya, it's intentional. A google search should yield more technical info because you're far from the first it freaked out lol. Inferred info or not, I love all the gauges and info readily available out of the gate on these cars.

Low pressure at idle, from all the info I've gathered, is much better for wear too. It's lack of flow that's a problem so as long as the pump can get the oil around and low pressure then it's all good. It's the spike to 80 when the relief closes, even at 3k rpms, that I won't ever get used to.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I see the same oil pressures as you. It can get as low as ~10psi at warm idle. From what I remember reading, the Gen 3 has some type of oil pressure bypass valve that allows for very low pressures at idle and any non load scenario. Like you I've checked my oil levels diligently and its always good.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
my 2018 does the same thing and it freaks me out everytime! it when i start it it will be really high around 80-100 then drop down to 15-25, if its not fully warmed up if i go to about 3-4k rpms it spikes up to 80-100 psi. seems okay once warmed tho and the car run amazing, just the cold starts had me freaked out. mine has 2400 miles on it.

also op has an 18 but was comparing to a past 16 he owned.
Ah, alright. I read 2016 and panick edited because I didn't want to be "that guy." Good to know yours has the same spike, to high pressure, at low engine speeds. I was expecting a much more gradual climb

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I see the same oil pressures as you. It can get as low as ~10psi at warm idle. From what I remember reading, the Gen 3 has some type of oil pressure bypass valve that allows for very low pressures at idle and any non load scenario. Like you I've checked my oil levels diligently and its always good.
Thanks for the replies and feed-back. I was thinking my engine was on it's way out, that it was eating itself.

The oil pressures in the 2016s changed/varied very differently, and it's good to know there was an engineering change behind what my eyes are seeing in this 2019.

Brandon_SVT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red Mustang GT Premium PP1
Ah, alright. I read 2016 and panick edited because I didn't want to be "that guy." Good to know yours has the same spike, to high pressure, at low engine speeds. I was expecting a much more gradual climb
i was too, the crazy thing is when i test drove the car i dont remember seeing this( dealer must have warmed it up or something). but the next morning that i went to go start it i shut it off almost immediately i was like WTF! im relieved to know that this is normal in the 18-19 cars.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Yeah.....sooooo.......I went shopping yesterday;
002.jpg

I was kind of panicking. Thought something was wrong, and figured I'd get the oil changed today to see if the same pressures were seen with the good stuff. Guess I can leave the factory fill in there for a few more thousand miles, which I like to do for breaking in the motor.....

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Yeah.....sooooo.......I went shopping yesterday;
002.jpg

I was kind of panicking. Thought something was wrong, and figured I'd get the oil changed today to see if the same pressures were seen with the good stuff. Guess I can leave the factory fill in there for a few more thousand miles, which I like to do for breaking in the motor.....
If it's any peace of mind, my longblock replacement ran on PP 5w30 from 25 miles. It ain't quiet, but it hauls ass and doesn't slurp oil. About 5k miles on it, now.
Sponsored