Sponsored

Lund crank relearn on SC car

Goosey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Magnetic
I have asked this question in the general forums but may be wise inhere also. I have whipple with custom tune, I have recently up graded the clutch and flywheel to Mantic. Nannied it for 500 miles then went to the dyno bolted on a smaller pulley did, a tune (another story not so good) then of course gave it the beans for the first time. Mis fire codes all over the place once over 4000 revs.
I do have an nguage which used to have a an old PMAS CAI tune but it new firmware comes with crank relearn. Does anyone have any tales, advice or experience of crank relearn with a SC whipple and custom tune. I have heard stories of have to put stock tune back in, that cant happen as there is no way I could rev the car, I am sure it would cause more damage!
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Yes you need to do a crank relearn. Who's tune you have in the car? I think the Ngauage will only work if you have a Lund tune in it. Whipple flare tool will do it also or take it to the dealer and they will charge you $150 or so to do it.

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Don't take it to the dealer. I did when I first installed my supercharger and couldn't get crank relearn to work with the procharger tune. At the time ngauge didnt do it. Dealer couldn't get it to relearn and had no clue, charged me $90. I ended up putting stock tune back in and then it would work. I have Lund tune now and ngauge does it easy.

I've been told there is some parameter(s) that don't match up with the crank relearn process. Like temperature setting or something like that. Not sure.

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
Don't take it to the dealer. I did when I first installed my supercharger and couldn't get crank relearn to work with the procharger tune. At the time ngauge didnt do it. Dealer couldn't get it to relearn and had no clue, charged me $90. I ended up putting stock tune back in and then it would work. I have Lund tune now and ngauge does it easy.

I've been told there is some parameter(s) that don't match up with the crank relearn process. Like temperature setting or something like that. Not sure.
I tried to do a crank relearn after sc install and it failed. Did you reload the stock tune with upgraded injectors? Did you have to do the step up revs? Or did you just load it without starting it and then load the procharger tune?

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
I tried to do a crank relearn after sc install and it failed. Did you reload the stock tune with upgraded injectors? Did you have to do the step up revs? Or did you just load it without starting it and then load the procharger tune?

FYI I’ve seen the tune not allow you to do a crank relearn. Something the tuner does that won’t allow it. Just make sure your tune is capable of doing it.

Sponsored

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve heard something to do with misfire protection right?

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm not trying to be insulting or anything with this question, but did you have the car run and get up to normal temperature before doing the crank relearn?

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not trying to be insulting or anything with this question, but did you have the car run and get up to normal temperature before doing the crank relearn?
I did. It won’t even start the process without it being up to temp. I’ve read that they will fail for something about misfire protection being turned off.. which tuners do for some reason in early revisions.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve probably done something like 20-30 crank relearns while using a Whipple on custom tune/s. I’ve never once flashed the car back to stock.
In every case, I’ve swapped tune (different tuners) and instantly the CEL comes on to tell me that I need to do a crank relearn.
Never had a misfire code.
Can we talk about the tune and pulley swap and what that might be doing in the background?
Is the car tuned by Lund or are you just using a Lund Ngauge?

Last edited:

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve probably done something like 20-30 crank relearns while using a Whipple on custom tune/s. I’ve never once flashed the car back to stock.
In every case, I’ve swapped tune (different tuners) and instantly the CEL comes on to tell me that I need to do a crank relearn.
Never had a misfire code.
Can we talk about the tune and pulley swap and what that might be doing in the background?
Is the car tuned by Lund or are you just using a Lund Ngauge?
I revived this thread because I had same problem. If you meant me, i have a nguage from mpt that was on my truck.. then used na on my 18 mustang. I have a pbd base file but can’t move forward until I can do the relearn

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I revived this thread because I had same problem. If you meant me, i have a nguage from mpt that was on my truck.. then used na on my 18 mustang. I have a pbd base file but can’t move forward until I can do the relearn
Yeah sorry, my bad.
Ok, so what exactly is the problem? At what point is it failing?

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I go thru the warm up period and do the 4800rpm revs a bunch of times and it then says it failed and get a p0315 code.

I’ve read that something with misfire protection needs to be on in the tune for it to successfully complete. Just what the interwebs said lol

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I go thru the warm up period and do the 4800rpm revs a bunch of times and it then says it failed and get a p0315 code.

I’ve read that something with misfire protection needs to be on in the tune for it to successfully complete. Just what the interwebs said lol
I’d be having a good chat with the guys at PBD. Can’t say I’ve ever had one fail TBH.
I’m not sure that they would turn off the misfire codes either. Seems like a bad idea in principal.
One thing I have found to be a little weird is that sometimes it wants the rpm held for x amount of time, other times it just instantly learns as soon as it hits the rpm target. I have no idea what that’s all about. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I reloaded the stock tune, put factory injectors back in, and hooked up the stock maf and intake. At the time I used an sctx4 to do the crank relearn. It relearned it quickly and no issues after.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I've done crank relearn multiple times with the Whipple flare tool, no issues. You do have to do one after the clutch replacement.
Sponsored