The MT82 gets a unfair bad rep...

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
So ive been fighting notchy shifts like all mustang owners etc,and like all mustang owners we believe the problem is the MT82... We yearn, drool and fantasize over the tremec in the GT350s... Or at least i do... But is the MT82 REALLY THAT BAD?

The more I've been thinking about the more I'm starting to believe it's not. I think the problem isnt so much in the tranny but the supporting hardware... Now this is all my opinion so feel free to disagree but these are problem areas i see that we need to address.

So I've noticed a couple issues
1. Ford uses a combined reservoir for the brake and clutch hydraulic circuits... It makes sense for someone driving to cars and coffee and to work. But when you start driving like a man, this is a flawed design... Whats happening is as the brakes cook the fluid under hard braking the fluid in the clutch system will also boil, so the clutch won't dissengage as it should so lock out...

2. Ford cheaped out... These trannies are too small, and dont have enough oil capacity. They really need to have a transmission oil cooler... Just like the GT350. Or we can get a transmission air scoop, and maybe design some aftermarket heatsinks to help cool it down.

3. The hydraulic throwout bearing. I get the logic. And advantages of this system, but I'm not convinced that its more efficent than the traditional and simpler clutch fork system... That has been used since god gave adam a 4speed on eden raceway, and commanded man to go fourth and race. I'm actually suspecting that the "notchiness" we feel, is the clutch not fully dissengaging... The engagement point on these cars is also way too high... Not sure whats driving that.

4. The stock shifter!. So ford is trying to fix this issue. The 2015s definitely had the worst design, 2016 is bettr as they updated the pivot cups, and solved some issues. 2018+ is way way better. I drove a 2020 recently and that shifter is unbelievably good. Not notchy at all, so ford has solved the issues.

5. Clunk and jumpy when moving off- this I've heard is due to the bigger backlash clearances on our diffs... BMWs dont have this issue... BMWs have 4 place decimal clearances on their diffs making them super smooth... BMW diffs are also designed to be non serviceable items and throwaway parts...

Personally Ill gladly take the clunk and jerking, if the trade off is more reliability and serviceability and just learn better pedal control... Again this isnt caused by the MT82... Yet we blame it for everything...

Basically i think if you understand the flaws and tackle those with tge right supporting mods you can make the MT82 into a really great trans. Will it take 1000whp for 10 years. Probably not... But if your car isnt boosted I think it can actually be a great and reliable trans provided you don't trash on it, and you fix the other issues.
Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
When I had my 15’ GT with the MT82 is was pretty bad. I switched fluid to full synthetic. Swapped stock shifter to a MGW shifter. Swapped stock clutch fluid line with a stainless steel clutch line. Swapped the stock clutch spring with the Steeda clutch spring. Even after all that it was the worst transmission I’ve ever owned. Ford wouldn’t do anything about it either. I just couldn’t take a gamble on another one. When I got my 18’ GT I went with the 10R80.

Hopefully most other MT82 owners have better luck with theirs than I had with mine.

OP
OP
3star2nr

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
When I had my 15’ GT with the MT82 is was pretty bad. I switched fluid to full synthetic. Swapped stock shifter to a MGW shifter. Swapped stock clutch fluid line with a stainless steel clutch line. Swapped the stock clutch spring with the Steeda clutch spring. Even after all that it was the worst transmission I’ve ever owned. Ford wouldn’t do anything about it either. I just couldn’t take a gamble on another one. When I got my 18’ GT I went with the 10R80.

Hopefully most other MT82 owners have better luck with theirs than I had with mine.
Because you didnt fix the underlying issues with the rest of the drivetrain...

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Because you didnt fix the underlying issues with the rest of the drivetrain...
Not really. After everything I did to it it was still notchy as hell. Had a hell of a time trying to get it to go into 3rd gear. Was about to swap in a Magnum XL but traded the car before I got around to it.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
For me the biggest difference in the MT82 was changing the brake fluid to Motul RBF660 this changed the clutch feel completely and lead to butter smooth shifting.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Has anyone successfully cured lock outs all together?

My issues:
- Lock out at high rpms
- Sometimes clutch sticks to the floor
- Sometimes lock out at idle

Does the transmission mount insert help? Does the stainless steel clutch line help? Does an upgraded master cylinder help?

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
My '12 Boss 302 was totally RUINED by the MT-82.

I swore off ever owning another car with that transmission ever again.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The below will help those with the MT82 and how to make it better over its stock form...

As for the clutch master cylinder solution, there are (2) write ups in the links below.

The 1st explains how to add a separate remote clutch reservoir and is from this site:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/remote-clutch-fluid-reservoir.119792/

The 2nd is not S550 specific. BUT is included because it discusses the similar upgrade using a different clutch reservoir and how to solve the brake master cylinder “nipple” issue in the 1st thread:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/f821/write-up-installing-separate-clutch-fluid-reservoir-540631/

—-
I’m sure the prior Shelby remote clutch reservoir that is on AM’s site can be retrofitted to the S550:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/shelby-isoclutch-reservoir-1014.html

—-
Upgrade the clutch hydraulic line to Steeda’s braided clutch line:
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-heavy-duty-braided-clutch-line-2015-555-7016.html

—-
Upgrade the shifter assembly and associated parts for better support (to your choice)

—-

Upgrade the clutch (to your choice)

—-

Upgrade the clutch throw out bearing/slave cylinder to a better unit over stock. (Link for example only, there’s many brands available):
https://www.americanmuscle.com/2015-mustang-clutch-accessories.html

—-

There’s always room for improvement over stock parts and the above will definitely help to remedy many of the MT82 “woes”.

Also to note, the 2018 had quite a few issues with premature failure of the clutch forks (I’ve posted the TSB’s in another thread). So if you’re a 2018 owner and have had shifting issues, definitely check out the TSB’s, because if you’re still under warranty, the multiple shift fork issues shoos be fixed free of charge based on TSBs.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Has anyone successfully cured lock outs all together?

My issues:
- Lock out at high rpms
- Sometimes clutch sticks to the floor
- Sometimes lock out at idle

Does the transmission mount insert help? Does the stainless steel clutch line help? Does an upgraded master cylinder help?
It's pretty simple, just get a better clutch than the stock trash they've been using since 1996. No problems any more.

Reactions: Ebm

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It's pretty simple, just get a better clutch than the stock trash they've been using since 1996. No problems any more.
I always though the lockouts are a safety feature for not blowing your engine, diff or tires when putting a gear in higher rpm then needed ?

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Putting BMR motor mounts in and a stiffer transmission mount cured any problems I had with the shifter feel. I had Steeda motor mounts for a while but they melted down and weren't up to the job. Never have had any problems with the clutch locking out, this is pretty much a track only car. I rarely exceed 6500 rpm but on the odd occasion that I do I have no clutch issues with the stock clutch. YMMV.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
The below will help those with the MT82 and how to make it better over its stock form...

As for the clutch master cylinder solution, there are (2) write ups in the links below.

The 1st explains how to add a separate remote clutch reservoir and is from this site:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/remote-clutch-fluid-reservoir.119792/

The 2nd is not S550 specific. BUT is included because it discusses the similar upgrade using a different clutch reservoir and how to solve the brake master cylinder “nipple” issue in the 1st thread:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/f821/write-up-installing-separate-clutch-fluid-reservoir-540631/

—-
I’m sure the prior Shelby remote clutch reservoir that is on AM’s site can be retrofitted to the S550:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/shelby-isoclutch-reservoir-1014.html

—-
Upgrade the clutch hydraulic line to Steeda’s braided clutch line:
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-heavy-duty-braided-clutch-line-2015-555-7016.html

—-
Upgrade the shifter assembly and associated parts for better support (to your choice)

—-

Upgrade the clutch (to your choice)

—-

Upgrade the clutch throw out bearing/slave cylinder to a better unit over stock. (Link for example only, there’s many brands available):
https://www.americanmuscle.com/2015-mustang-clutch-accessories.html

—-

There’s always room for improvement over stock parts and the above will definitely help to remedy many of the MT82 “woes”.

Also to note, the 2018 had quite a few issues with premature failure of the clutch forks (I’ve posted the TSB’s in another thread). So if you’re a 2018 owner and have had shifting issues, definitely check out the TSB’s, because if you’re still under warranty, the multiple shift fork issues shoos be fixed free of charge based on TSBs.

It seems like you have no idea what causes lock out, so instead, throw money at it until it's fixed. Am I right? :cwl:

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I always though the lockouts are a safety feature for not blowing your engine, diff or tires when putting a gear in higher rpm then needed ?
The high rpm lockout they're taking about is definitely not. It's a symptom of a garbage clutch that doesn't disengage. Even the reverse lockout solenoid is a fairly recent addition, it's nearly impossible to do by accident.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
The combined brake/clutch reservoir shouldn't really be an issue, as it's been used on the 2010+ Camaro, and I don't hear much about clutch issues compared to the 1997-2019 Corvette. Google "Ranger Method" for more info on Corvette slave cylinder issues. Maybe if you track the car, this could be a limiting factor, but even then, the Z/28 and ZL1 Camaros have the same clutch/brake reservoir, and clutch engagement does not seem to be an issue.

Other points could definitely be a concern.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It seems like you have no idea what causes lock out, so instead, throw money at it until it's fixed. Am I right? :cwl:

LOL - no offense, but do you read threads only from the bottom up or not all the way through?

The OP was listing general issues about the poor performance of the MT82. What I offered was some solutions that would help to improve the MT82 functionality vs it’s poor performance in stock form...

I never even discussed “lock outs” nor was it the single piece of subject matter of the first post.

?
Sponsored