Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have had my Z51 vette to 140 on the same road and it felt more planted at 140 than the stang at 115. Hopes its just as simple as an alignment or tire pressure or even adding a frame brace.
Z51 is a performance package. Better tires and better suspension. I have the PP1 with coil overs, higher speed rated tires (like the z51 performance package), and 140mph is like 70mph. Windows up or down.
Sponsored

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Z51 is a performance package. Better tires and better suspension. I have the PP1 with coil overs, higher speed rated tires (like the z51 performance package), and 140mph is like 70mph. Windows up or down.
My 19GT started as a PP1. I've changed out or added many component to suspension. There is a short twisty run near the house with only watch out are the many deer. Very impressive results with speed I run the road. The car was fast when stock before mods. Now planted like on rails. Little to know tire noise. Agree, the right tire make huge difference and plan to change out next spring. Car will be garaged soon through winter.

myblkshadow19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If anything my tire pressure may be higher than it probably should coming from the dealership, so I will check that too. So a brace may be in the future as it is a low cost approach. I guess coming from a Z51 vette I got a little spoiled by its plantedness and just need to get used to this car.
i had a navy met blue C5 Z51 package and loved that car. i know there has been major changes as i rode in my co-workers Z06 2017 but i still stand by my comment. my 19 Gt premium PP1 is simply amazing.....

OP
OP

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
Thanks all I will definitely check some things out starting with tire pressure and probably an alignment, then go from there. Plus I will change to more performance tires when stock ones start to wear.

OP
OP

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
Start with tires (higher speed rating) then Contact BMR thru email and or on here thru dm.
Will lowering springs help with my issue? Also if I lower the car say an inch will that mess with the suspension and make it where I feel the bumps and cracks more? So how would this setup help me, engine strut, under car brace and lowering springs? This should be a fairly inexpensive setup but want to make sure it helps in higher speeds. Not so worried about cornering.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
some of you guys are way overthinking this

trusaleen1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Will lowering springs help with my issue? Also if I lower the car say an inch will that mess with the suspension and make it where I feel the bumps and cracks more? So how would this setup help me, engine strut, under car brace and lowering springs? This should be a fairly inexpensive setup but want to make sure it helps in higher speeds. Not so worried about cornering.
I had the same issue with my CA Edition 2016 non-PP. Mustang felt like a caddy at high speeds and over bumps. Springs and performance shocks should help a lot, as well as beefing up the IRS. I went with BMR springs and Steeda non-adjustable shocks, with Steeda billet rear shock mounts. I'd also suggest BMR cradle lockout kit and their 762 kit. Lots of suspension mods available for these cars, just depends on how far you want to go..

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Nah.. base GT suspension is very stiff, IMO anyways. @ whoever who asked where, on the highway, smoothish, got there fairly quick, not sure how long it took.
It's not. Sorry but your opinion doesn't jive with reality. It's poorly damped and clumsy, but not stiff.

The best ways to get the car to not feel wobbly at high speed are:
1) alignment - the oe is iffy
2) IRS lockout. I prefer the CB005
3) front end stiffening from the performance pack (tower brace, upper k brace, cowl to dash extension panel, lower k brave)
4) better dampers - FP track monotubes on stock or reasonably stiffer than stock springs do wonders for how controlled the ride feels at all speeds

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I lived in Germany for three years and cruised at 120mph just about daily and pushed it higher when I felt the need.

I think the PP1 in stock form did pretty well, but adding more toe-in to the front wheels (I ran 0.12 each) and a Steeda splitter really settled the car at speed.

Of course, dampers and springs came next and took things to the next level, but the two aforementioned items will get you straight quickly and on budget.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I currently live in Germany with a non-PP GT and have done easily over 5000 miles well over 100mph in the last year. I generally set cruise control at 180kmh/112mph because that's all the higher I can set it, but like @Roadway 5.0 I can easily cruise at 120mph+. I have Steeda minimum drop springs and Ford Racing track damper kit. It's a good match and works very well to help control the weight of these cars. I also did the Steeda rear subframe bushing lockout. Not sure how much that helped but I was in there so I did it.

Bottom line: You NEED springs and dampers if you have a non-PP car. Get a good alignment with recommended specs from @BmacIL or some of the other suspension gurus on here. If you can add a splitter that will help too. Also, check your tire pressure recommendations on the door frame, there is likely a recommendation to add 3-4psi for >100mph driving. Do it. It makes a difference. If you have the base 18" wheels, those need to go as well because of their monster truck sidewalls.

I have said it before and I will say it again though: These cars are NOT designed to be driven like a supercar. They can do fine at 150mph, and I do it all the time in short bursts, but they are not designed for routine driving at those speeds. 120-130mph is my long distance cruising limit, partially because of the concentration involved to drive at those speeds and partially because the car just doesn't feel designed for it.

Sponsored

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
I had ours up to 130 ish and it felt very stable. The only disconcerting thing was the left side of the hood wanted bounce. I adjusted the hood stops and that is gone. Oh yea, had some whistles around the door glass and top. Maybe I should test it with top down? :)

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I had ours up to 130 ish and it felt very stable. The only disconcerting thing was the left side of the hood wanted bounce. I adjusted the hood stops and that is gone. Oh yea, had some whistles around the door glass and top. Maybe I should test it with top down? :)
Good point on the hood flutter. I ended up lathering the tops of my headlights with weatherstripping to keep air from entering that area. Really helped.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I have a 2019 non PP1/2 Stang and when I get up to speed (115ish) the car feels airy and not firmly planted. Are there any quick and simple mods to fix this? Like a strut bar on the engine, would that firm up the steering? I don't want to put thousands into suspension work which Im sure would help a lot but was hoping for some cheaper options.
The first thing you need parts-wise is better shocks and struts (see BmacIL's suggestions, but know that some people like other options such as Koni yellows). This can be done whether you do lowering springs or not, and since I'm not seeing any plans to drive this car on a road course there isn't as much need to replace the springs. Appearance would be your call, though I will mention that lowering the car's CG doesn't give you nearly as much benefit as the change in appearance suggests..

Since doing shocks & struts calls for an alignment whether you do springs or not, I strongly suggest merging BmacIL's #4 and #1 together as step #1 past whatever zero-$ inflation pressure tuning you may try in the meantime (don't be afraid to try staggering tire pressures by 2 or 3 psi more up front).

Norm

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase

Attachments