Sponsored

Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
But knowing most auto manufacturers the cutouts will be positioned just right to let the oil drain on top of the panel...
but the CAD under-view clearly showed the hole positioned correctly. We all know oil only drips down perfectly vertically... Plus, what's not to like about your 2020 car leaving a cloud of blue smoke out the back and killing a few mosquitoes after each oil change. It's for the children!
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
*60k sports car. And not the deciding factor, just pointing out a subjective look that I don't like. And wheels cracking? I think I vaguely remember hearing something about the c5 or c6 having an issue but nothing lately. 'Wheels always crack' is the same level of argument as 'all coyote engines tick / rattle' and 'all voodoos consume oil'.
It's the C7 Grand Sports that have a huge problem with the wheels. And GM doesn't always replace them even during the warranty period.

Maybe there were problems in the C5 and C6 too. I'm not sure. My Z06 doesn't have the original wheels on it.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Yeah.. But those arguments are silly... Thats basically saying the deciding factor to buy a 100k dollar sports car is how the factory wheels look on it... Really...

The same factory wheels you're going to have to replace immediately anyway because its a GM... and their factory wheels always crack...

The sound argument is also silly... These cars are being designed to sell globally, as of such they have to meet stricter noise regulations of euro 4... Exhaust is also the first thing everyone changes. Why should GM put engineering time and budget into making a USDM only exhaust system that they know their owners are gonna toss in the trash within a month of purchase...

It makes more sense to let the aftermarket worry about it. And even charge some brands like borla a percentage so they can have the "factory authorized" sticker on the box for people affraid of voiding the warranty
When you spend that much money for a car, you are entitled to critique.

people don’t judge based on what’s possible if you do this or if you do that.

They judge based on what the factory offers.

that opinion is no more lame than yours.

Last edited:

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD

C8R with DOHC FPC engine. That thing sounds like a Ferrari.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Exhaust is also the first thing everyone changes. Why should GM put engineering time and budget into making a USDM only exhaust system that they know their owners are gonna toss in the trash within a month of purchase...

The last several shows I've attenended, the C7s present were 100% bone stock. I think you're conflating a small minority of enthusiasts, with the greater number of owners who buy (and quite a few actually lease) cars and leave as they came from the factory for the durations of their ownership.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Wow. That revved so damn quick.
Lighter flywheel and fpc does that. Almost sounds like a motorcycle engine lol.The question is does it have the twin turbo setup or na? A version of this engine will end up either in the ZO6 or ZR1. Mostly likely ZR1 i m guessing. For cost savings GM will most likely go with a supercharged lt2 for the ZO6.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Lighter flywheel and fpc does that. Almost sounds like a motorcycle engine lol.The question is does it have the twin turbo setup or na? A version of this engine will end up either in the ZO6 or ZR1. Mostly likely ZR1 i m guessing. For cost savings GM will most likely go with a supercharged lt2 for the ZO6.
Im sure the race engine is naturally aspirated. It would be cool to have a similar set up in the road car.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Wow. C7 ZR1 values probably just took a dump....

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
we’re reducing the C8’s verdict from “great” to merely “good.”
I guess the envelop wasn't thick enough...
This transmission, at least in preproduction trim, seems a good ways off the best.
Not surprising since the vendor has zero experience building one. This is why the tried and true 6/7MT should have been retained as an option. Both the GT500 and C8 depend on the shoulders of Tremec - a risk I think that was very foolish.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Car and Driver has an article up as well, and they tracked a C7 Z51 and a C8 Z51, and the C8 was .9 seconds faster around the track they tested at. The general consensus seems to be that the brake by wire system is weird and the car actually takes a little longer to stop than the C7, and the car understeers at the limit. With that said, C&D got a faster lap time out of it and they said it was easier to drive fast than the C7.

Motor Trend and Road and Track has differing views on the dual clutch, so I’m curious to here more impressions of it.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Reading that Road and Track article reminds me why I didn't get a 2015 Mustang - I assumed that bugs would be worked out and performance improvements made. As R&T says, I think the C8 will become a great car, once they work the bugs out, but first year buyers may be disappointed. Maybe that's why GM has a lower price on the first year cars...
Sponsored