Sponsored

2020 EcoBoost High Performance Package, 330 HP / 350 LB-FT, 0-60 mid 4's [Updated With Video]

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sorry but that sounds like a lame wood chipper. For that amount of money I would think you would want a little more grunt with a sound that backs it up.
My car is about as obnoxious as it gets so I appreciate a loud powerful V8 exhaust but as a daily I’m perfectly content with my 4 banger sedan
Sponsored

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I'm sorry but that sounds like a lame wood chipper. For that amount of money I would think you would want a little more grunt with a sound that backs it up.
You are assuming that everyone wants a v8 grunt.
It might be hard to understand for you WHY someone would by a mustang and not want a v8, well, there's a reason why the v6 came along as well. For people who want the look of the mustang but don't necessarily NEED the sound.
Also, some people would rather have the comforts/techs of a higher trim over a base car.
The EB is fun for a DD, it makes good low end tq, and if owner pumps 93 octane (I really hope most do) it's actually pretty fast, 5.3 sec ('18+), 5.5 sec ('15-'17) is no slouch for a 3600 lb I4 car.
The alternative v6 , and now I4 EB, have been around to accommodate to those who don't get a GT because, in general, they will never use ALL that power/top end, and its more wallet friendly under most circumstances. These alternatives, in turn, have helped keep the v8 mustang around.

The HPP gets a bit pricier when you add the handling package, if I'm not mistaken, w/o handling package you can easily build one for about 33 - 35 k with the 10 speed. I'd say that's pretty decent money for a mid 4 sec car. Remember, not everyone NEEDS the v8 sound. If you buy a fully loaded GT, it wont cost 40k (2020 mustang GT), since we are talking about a BRAND NEW car.

Just saying that you might be surprised how many ppl are OKAY with spending 33-36k on a good looking car, with good performance that doesnt have a v8 engine under its hood. Yes, even in the Mustangs...since their inception. However, the modern none v8 mustang is more capable than ever before. I mean, it better, cars are getting quicker out there, jeez.

Last edited:

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
You are assuming that everyone wants a v8 grunt.
It might be hard to understand for you WHY someone would by a mustang and not want a v8, well, there's a reason why the v6 came along as well. For people who want the look of the mustang but don't necessarily NEED the sound.
Also, some people would rather have the comforts/techs of a higher trim over a base car.
The EB is fun for a DD, it makes good low end tq, and if owner pumps 93 octane (I really hope most do) it's actually pretty fast, 5.3 sec ('18+), 5.5 sec ('15-'17) is no slouch for a 3600 lb I4 car.
The alternative v6 , and now I4 EB, have been around to accommodate to those who don't get a GT because, in general, they will never use ALL that power/top end, and its more wallet friendly under most circumstances. These alternatives, in turn, have helped keep the v8 mustang around.

The HPP gets a bit pricier when you add the handling package, if I'm not mistaken, w/o handling package you can easily build one for about 33 - 35 k with the 10 speed. I'd say that's pretty decent money for a mid 4 sec car. Remember, not everyone NEEDS the v8 sound. If you buy a fully loaded GT, it wont cost 40k (2020 mustang GT), since we are talking about a BRAND NEW car.

Just saying that you might be surprised how many ppl are OKAY with spending 33-36k on a good looking car, with good performance that doesnt have a v8 engine under its hood. Yes, even in the Mustangs...since their inception. However, the modern none v8 mustang is more capable than ever before. I mean, it better, cars are getting quicker out there, jeez.
Actually I do not assume anything. As I stated before buy whatever you like and can afford. All I stated was the 4 banger sounds like a lame Wood Chipper and I would never buy one. And as a bonus you get to buy premium gas for a 4 cylinder. I do agree with your comment not everyone needs the V8 sound and I would be comfortable with a V6. But the 4 cylinder for that money Not So Much. You could get a 4cylinder or V6 Honda for hundreds if not thousands less.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Actually I do not assume anything. As I stated before buy whatever you like and can afford. All I stated was the 4 banger sounds like a lame Wood Chipper and I would never buy one. And as a bonus you get to buy premium gas for a 4 cylinder. I do agree with your comment not everyone needs the V8 sound and I would be comfortable with a V6. But the 4 cylinder for that money Not So Much. You could get a 4cylinder or V6 Honda for hundreds if not thousands less.
You stated "For that amount of money I would think you would want a little more grunt", that is called making an assumption, or YOUR POV.
The EB mustang came out in '15 and plenty of ppl since have been spending mid 30k in them...idk why ppl are freaking out about the price of the 2020 HPP.
If you are gonna compare the price of the EB HPP, please compare it to a similarly built 2020 mustang GT. The $$ difference is way deeper.
I remember when the 2018 mustangs come out with the new added features that can now be added ppl were buying GTs for 45-50k, and plenty ppl sayin "a mustang for 50k??!!". Compare a 2018 to a 2014 mustang, especially interior wise, no longer cheap looking. Of course you can still buy base as hell but even then it is still an improvement over a pre '15.

YOU feel that if ppl dont buy the v8 then why even bother and to just get a accord? again, thats YOUR POV.
The accord is not a mid 4 second car, it is FWD, 4 doors, NOTHING like this up and coming HPP...so your comparison is silly. Even the '18 base EB is a 5.3 sec car over 5.7 on the 2.0T, which btw, MSRP at 37k for the touring. Id rather spend it on a HPP, but thats just ME though. Within the accord buyers, the v6 and now 2.0t, remain the least bought.

As for fuel, yes, I pump 93 octane. I've done the math and it is $6 more per week. No biggie for me. I'm sure more and more ppl spend $5 daily on useless crap that adds up to even MORE money weekly...And, if im not mistaken, the GT is also rated at 460 on 93 octane.

Just because YOU wouldnt feel comfortable in a i4 car and only in either a v8 or v6, doenst mean that others feel the same way.
In my original post I stated that since the inception of the mustang ppl have been buying the none v8 for various reasons.

You arguing why buy a i4 over the v8 is like those that argue why buy a mustang in auto, and CANNOT imagine the mustang in any other form (I see you drive manual) maybe thats you, too....lmao...also, when the v6 was around, it was the same thing - v8 or nothing.
Will it ever end? probably not.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So this is what Sig556 said,
He was expressing his opinion, period. 3oostdmstng, you can agree or disagree, but he is entitled to his say. Now I understand why you you replied the way you did. You own an EB, Sig owns a GT. This disagreement will never end. At least I hope not. I had a 15EB before my 19GT/CS so I do have skin in the game.

Now, Sig556. I have heard the active exhaust on a 2019 EB and honestly it sounds damn good. Member Jmtoast just test rode an 20' EB with the HPP and HP. his comment was:
Lots of torque and active exhaust sounds like a aftermarket v6. Surprisingly very loud for a 4
So not so bad. Certainly not a lame wood chipper. So go listen to one and let us know.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
You sound like a lame wood chipper.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You sound like a lame wood chipper.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference.

You know this applies to many of the hard core GT owners on here. Only those of us who have owned an EB or have driven one extensively really understand what a great car it is.

Also, can anyone post a sound clip of a "lame" wood chipper? Honestly, never heard one. :crackup:

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference.

You know this applies to many of the hard core GT owners on here. Only those of us who have owned an EB or have driven one extensively really understand what a great car it is.

Also, can anyone post a sound clip of a "lame" wood chipper? Honestly, never heard one. :crackup:
I have a bolt-on GT and I have a friend with an EB manual. I know what a great car it is - it's a variation on a theme...a Mustang with lower polar inertia and a different (and great) feel/sharpness in "technical" sections of twisty roads. And it has well over 300hp...engine-wise, it's slightly heavier and rwd but has a similar power-to-weight to an STi, Golf R and Focus RS, and I don't hear people in that community complaining about power. But it's a Mustang so gets lumped in with muscle/pony cars and instantly compared to the V8. I think the excellent Camaro V6 suffers from this as well, esp the 1LE. The EB & Camaro V6s are slightly different animals, handling machines that are still capable of 4.5-5.5s 0-60 stock and in the case of the EB looks awesome as all S550s do.

The old SVO in 84-86 did poorly sales-wise because it was expensive compared to the GT of the time but has its deserved core of fans these days. That's how I see the EB, esp PP. I think another problem is Ford has had crappy base model Mustangs from inception to 2010, which nobody respected (apologies to people with the 4.0 V6...that's marginally okay). But the Cyclone V6 and EBs are fantastic cars in their own right, I think.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
So this is what Sig556 said,

He was expressing his opinion, period. 3oostdmstng, you can agree or disagree, but he is entitled to his say. Now I understand why you you replied the way you did. You own an EB, Sig owns a GT. This disagreement will never end. At least I hope not. I had a 15EB before my 19GT/CS so I do have skin in the game.

Now, Sig556. I have heard the active exhaust on a 2019 EB and honestly it sounds damn good. Member Jmtoast just test rode an 20' EB with the HPP and HP. his comment was:

So not so bad. Certainly not a lame wood chipper. So go listen to one and let us know.
He is most definitely entitled to his opinion just as much as others are entitled to buy and like what ever they want.
This is a discussion forum and I, respectfully, debated his stance/comments.
Be ready for someone to debate your posts in a "discussion forum".
Read both his posts and my responses. It's healthy discussion, that is all ;)

His opinion is that it sounds bad, that is HIGHLY subjective. YOU just suggested he goes and read the post of the member who already listed to one but, what makes you think he will change his mind?
Yet, you felt the need to let him know about it. Maybe you think he will re-think about it? hmmm
Part of healthy discussion, right? Right.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
You sound like you're buying an engine to run on a stand.

The base EB really doesn't make nearly as much noise as a wood chipper. It's pretty quiet outside and all you really hear is the fake engine noise which sounds nothing like a wood chipper. I can't imagine the active exhaust on "quiet" is any different if you don't like the sound.

Anyway, I don't know how any of these sounds could be reasonably characterized as "wood chipper."

Sponsored

thrillawill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I asked a ford dealer how come the Ecoboosts sell so well. They told me “everyone comes in here with dreams of a GT but their credit score says EB.

Got a kick out of that.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I asked a ford dealer how come the Ecoboosts sell so well. They told me “everyone comes in here with dreams of a GT but their credit score says EB.

Got a kick out of that.
When I bought my '16 EB my credit was at 730, not great but good. I decided on an EB because it was enough for my needs. Also, at the time I commuted 60 mi/day to work.

I'm sure there are plenty of GT owners with their credit in the 600s but decide to take a hit with APR just for that v8 grunt.

Edit: if we take demographics into account, those young people ages 18-22, who are still trying to build their credit and dream of the v8 mustang, probably make up a bulk of "those" buyers. The v6 being the cheaper option over the EB.
On average, the Ford buyer has a credit score of 680, I cannot find anything specific by model, unfortunately.
For reference, the ***average*** Tesla buyer has a credit score of 740, and 727 for Porsche buyers. I have the same "credit worthiness" as the average Tesla and Porsche buyer, but don't make that income to buy either :beer::crackup:

Last edited:
Reactions: nrc

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP

Got a kick out of that.
I'd be driving a GT if that's what I wanted (821). For most people, the EB is just a better daily driver.

Edit: decided it was prudent not to advertise my credit protection service. :D

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
A totally BASIC EB fastback with the HiPo - just a Black fastback (no extra paint cost), MT82, the Performance Package (HiPo), 100A and black cloth interior:

EEA337D2-3E50-4C22-AB50-4573033B2D56.jpeg
I added the 101A and 10-speed to this and I think it comes out as a pretty nice car for the money. It would be noticeably faster than my 300 hp 2015 V6. I think the hp engine sounds a little better than the base eb, too.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I added the 101A and 10-speed to this and I think it comes out as a pretty nice car for the money. It would be noticeably faster than my 300 hp 2015 V6. I think the hp engine sounds a little better than the base eb, too.

That is for the none premium fastback with added:
HPP package
10 speed auto
101A pack/syn3 36.1k
if you go 100A (totally base), its only 34.1k.

and,

HPP
MANUAL
101A pack/sync 3
prices at 34.5k

33 - 36k is a bargain, IMO.

These prices are nothing NEW for the EB with added features, anyway.
Sponsored