Sponsored

Not quite cheating on your S550 (what cars have u thought about and why, why not)

What others cars do you think of buying to replace/compliment your Stang

• Total voters

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
I keep hearing the ZL1 is beastly ridiculously fast. Most reviewers online say its too fast for public roads, LOL. Did you drive it? Wonder what your impressions were.

I like the SS 1LE, a very balanced car. I really wish they fixed the visibility and ergonomics, space etc.
I'm old school, grew up in the 1960s when Mustangs, Torinos, Camaro, Corvette, Chevelle, and Dodge 426 Hemis ruled the streets.
So, I'm very biased towards American cars. :flag:

With that said my Daily Driver is a Lexus sedan.

IMHO the Camaro SS 1LE is the best bang for the buck today. Car handles great, amazingly smooth, tons of torque off the line, great Tremec trans, etc...

The ZL1 ILE spins in every gear, very traction limited. Plus you burn thru very expensive tires, better have a lot of money set aside if you drive it a lot.

I'm buying 2 cars in the next 18 months.

Corvette C8 Z06 is almost a given. Want to see the looks and performance first. If not, then I'll buy the C8 Z51.

My 2nd choice is a Mustang. Really want the Shelby GT350 (probably non R). I'm leaning now towards a 2020 model or 2021 if it's still around. The engine issues worry me though. I'm keeping this car forever and will hand down to my son 10-15+ years from now.

The C8 has No Manual for now, which sucks.

So that's why I'm leaning towards the GT350 which will give me satisfaction driving a stick.

If the GT500 offered a Manual then I would go that route.
Sponsored

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I'm old school, grew up in the 1960s when Mustangs, Torinos, Camaro, Corvette, Chevelle, and Dodge 426 Hemis ruled the streets.
So, I'm very biased towards American cars. :flag:

With that said my Daily Driver is a Lexus sedan.

IMHO the Camaro SS 1LE is the best bang for the buck today. Car handles great, amazingly smooth, tons of torque off the line, great Tremec trans, etc...

The ZL1 ILE spins in every gear, very traction limited. Plus you burn thru very expensive tires, better have a lot of money set aside if you drive it a lot.

I'm buying 2 cars in the next 18 months.

Corvette C8 Z06 is almost a given. Want to see the looks and performance first. If not, then I'll buy the C8 Z51.

My 2nd choice is a Mustang. Really want the Shelby GT350 (probably non R). I'm leaning now towards a 2020 model or 2021 if it's still around. The engine issues worry me though. I'm keeping this car forever and will hand down to my son 10-15+ years from now.

The C8 has No Manual for now, which sucks.

So that's why I'm leaning towards the GT350 which will give me satisfaction driving a stick.

If the GT500 offered a Manual then I would go that route.
Interesting point about the 350's engine. I see a ton of these lightly used on sale and the forums have a lot of "engine blown" posts. I dont recall seeing these with the 15-17 GT's for example - and its important to keep in mind that far fewer 350's are produced.
I'm wondering if people are boosting them or modifying the limiter and blowing the engines.

I read some post saying the 2019 engines are re-engineered using the same block as the GT500? I dont know if that has fixed the issues. Reliability for me = Most important consideration. My time is too valuable to not be able to trust my car to work everytime.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I picked “other”, Ive had several cars on that list. With the S550 the only other vehicle I needed is something for bad weather and towing my 17 GT to the track, so I also bought a 17 F150 3.5 eco, 10sp auto, lol! And let me tell you, stop light to stop light, in 4 wheel drive, sport mode and TC turned off, there not much that can touch it. It also tows amazingly, my previous tow rig was a power stroke, but this new f150 is much better.
Funny you mention this, I bought a new F-150 in late July for a new daily, a RCSB 4x4 with the 5.0/10-speed and 3.55 rear. I was messing around in 4WD in sport mode with a full tank of E85 the other day, and the thing is kind of a blast. Almost silly for a full size truck.

(PM me some more pics and details on your SVO....)

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
For whoever mentioned the 6.4 and low - to mid range torque..........the 6 speed Scat Pack is a blast around town. It reminds me of all the big block Chevy and Pontiac cars I've owned over the years. I actually would have ended up in a '19 Scat Pack Challenger ($10 per HP rebate straight from Dodge) except for the fact the only color that drew me in was Destroyer Gray and there were only a handful of '19's that weren't optioned to the hilt. Ended up with the '19 GT 6 speed. The base Scat Pack 6 speed from the same dealer group (I've know them a long time - so they do me right on price / trade) was Almost $4K more OTD. The Challenger is a bit porky compared the S550...but the Scat Pack drive train makes some of that up - at least around town. I wasn't a huge fan of the seats. I've talked to people I know with them - and the biggest complaints are relatively minor electrical gremlins - of the few I know with a '18 or '19 model they both moved up from a previous year Challenger and they say it was a definite improvement.

Honestly - the GT is my daily and will be until I finish the '95 Bronco project for my son, then finish the '84 GMC K1500 shortbed (wife's truck). After that who knows. I want to build my next daily. Something different. The idea of a Coyote / 6 speed equipped early Maverick keeps coming to the top - updated suspension etc - but when did Mavericks is decent shape get so expensive to start with for a project? LOL. Honestly, I don't need a back seat anymore...so I'm leaning more and more toward finding a later Miata, FRS, or even a 240 or 260Z and doing an LSx / T56 swap.

The one thing that's missing from the '19 is low end grunt. I have a brand new set of Ford Performance 3.73 gears and install kit that stares at me everytime I walk in the shop to work on the Bronco. Granted it's not major jump over the OEM 3.55's - but I have them already and a local late model Mustang guy will do 'em for $250 if I bring him the pumpkin. Well worth me not having to deal with gear marking compound and preload. Only thing worse than that for me is taking apart automatic transmission - nope.

As for new car offerings....as a life long GM guy - (who still can't understand how I ended up with 2 Mustangs, a Bronco and a F150) I wanted to like the Camaro SO MUCH. But Dear God - at 6'3 230lbs - I couldn't SEE out of it. I felt the urge to keep doing shoulder checks when driving more so than when I commuted on a sport bike for years. Best description I ever heard - Great car! But driving it is like sitting in bathtub with a giant sombrero on your head.

I like the C7 - but I could never quite get comfortable in one. But if prices fall like I bet they will when C8's get past the initial buzz - a 7 speed C7 wouldn't be a bad daily.

I've driven the new Miata....and if it was a hair bigger on the inside it would have been tough to not buy one for the money. Keeping it up in the RPMs FEELS fast and is fun, and unlike my '19 GT - wrapping 2nd gear up to redline won't risk me going to jail on most roads LOL.

But I keep going back to the alcohol-fueled bastard of a project I helped a buddy build years ago. It was a clean 260Z he'd bought from a guy who knew his parents. After cussing out those dual carbs, his then wife totaled his LT1 / T56 Formula. It only took a few drinks and a tape measure to realize what could happen if he bought it from the insurance company. Sure enough......that thing was a BLAST. And then he wheeled and dealed and acquired a Procharger for it. I'm surprised he never went to jail in that car.

Sponsored

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
Very underated car. I worked for Lexus for 15 years and remember when the IS-F came out. I never thought that car receievd the credit it deserved either.
Initially when the S550 Mustang was released in my country, they had huge dealership markups which meant that a Mustang GT cost as much as a BMW M4 or a Lexus RC-F, which to be frank are much better cars for the money.
Even the Ecoboost was expensive (around the price of a BMW 435i) which is why i ended up getting the Ecoboost instead of the GT and having the Roush upgrade done to it.

The RC-F was not yet available at the time and that was the only V8 car i felt would be worth getting in that price bracket. I looked at the RC350F but it just didnt hold a candle to the Ecoboost Mustang in terms of performance.
Since then RC-F is now available but at more than the price of a Mustang GT ( like the rest of the world ).

If timing was a little difference id almost certainly have been driving the RC-F now instead of a Mustang.

3ZERO3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Initially when the S550 Mustang was released in my country, they had huge dealership markups which meant that a Mustang GT cost as much as a BMW M4 or a Lexus RC-F, which to be frank are much better cars for the money.
Even the Ecoboost was expensive (around the price of a BMW 435i) which is why i ended up getting the Ecoboost instead of the GT and having the Roush upgrade done to it.

The RC-F was not yet available at the time and that was the only V8 car i felt would be worth getting in that price bracket. I looked at the RC350F but it just didnt hold a candle to the Ecoboost Mustang in terms of performance.
Since then RC-F is now available but at more than the price of a Mustang GT ( like the rest of the world ).

If timing was a little difference id almost certainly have been driving the RC-F now instead of a Mustang.
I've driven a number of RC-F's and GS-F's and I'll agree with you that they are a considerably "better" car but I can't honestly say I'd actually enjoy owning one more that My Mustang GT though. Even after all these years of owning Mustangs I still think I choose right because it's the car I still look back at when I walk away.

17 Fusion Sport 2.7TT AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
7) Kia Stinger/Genesis G70 3.3 T (Replace): I havent driven the Genesis. Both are 4 door practical sports sedans. Lovely looks, great warranties, reliability should be solid, powerful engines, AWD option (with 90% to rear torque lock option coming next year and rear mechanical LSD in AWD). The Stinger has a MASSIVE HATCH.

Why not: The current Stinger is very softly sprung and damped, the rear jiggles and wallows. The body is NOT stiff, it needs more bracing. I think the big rear hatch is a cause for this. Engine note is meh. There are hardly any Genesis dealers here so forget that car.

Verdict: Not dialed in enough but watch these cars.
"Dialed in" is subjective. Dialed in "to what" and "for who"?

My '19 Stinger GT AWD is not as tightly sprung as the non PP '16 Mustang GT I had, but it definitely corners flatter than the '17 Fusion Sport I owned.

What one might call "a happy medium".

Not perfect, but no car is. Definitively worth every penny of the 43k I paid for a vehicle that I can drive in all 4 seasons.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The one thing that's missing from the '19 is low end grunt. I have a brand new set of Ford Performance 3.73 gears and install kit that stares at me everytime I walk in the shop to work on the Bronco. Granted it's not major jump over the OEM 3.55's - but I have them already and a local late model Mustang guy will do 'em for $250 if I bring him the pumpkin. Well worth me not having to deal with gear marking compound and preload. Only thing worse than that for me is taking apart automatic transmission - nope.
I don't know what sorcery is happening at AED, but my 93 tuned (soon to be Flex Fuel) '19 GTPP, A10 (so factory 3.55) in sport mode has insane amounts of low end grunt - at least, what I'd call "effective low end", it winds up quick, shifts blindingly fast, it hits hard, chirps 1-2-3 with just a little throttle tip in. I ran a couple of 6.4L cars in my '16 (intake, exhaust, tune) and I can tell you this '19 feels __way__ faster.
Sponsored