Car feels airy at 115 MPH

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
I went 178 on my last car a 630 rwhp cts-v with their magnetic shocks, took like 1-2 miles maybe 30+ seconds of wide open throttle but it was steady as anything could get

HMKcdyL.jpg
And took a picture - That's just plain wrong.
Sponsored

OP
OP

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
Tire pressure could make a major difference. Also, what type of roads are you on and have you ever had another car up to that speed on it? Let's face it, every road is different, and some are much better for high speeds. If a road isn't fairly flat and has a lot of ups and downs (and I don't mean hills, just a slight unevenness), high speeds are going to greatly exacerbate your issue. It'd be something to try and slowly, if possible, get up to your post-100 mph speeds gradually and see if you notice the issue at the limit and as you smoothly accelerate.

Also, close your windows. Remember, at those speeds, having them open is like dragging a parachute behind you and it will affect your car's balance.
I have had my Z51 vette to 140 on the same road and it felt more planted at 140 than the stang at 115. Hopes its just as simple as an alignment or tire pressure or even adding a frame brace.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I have had my Z51 vette to 140 on the same road and it felt more planted at 140 than the stang at 115. Hopes its just as simple as an alignment or tire pressure or even adding a frame brace.
Base GT suspension is like a non performance caddy compared to a z51 vette I think.. very soft

Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Suspension too soft and too much airflow going under the car. Lower it with some good springs and try it again

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Base GT suspension is like a non performance caddy compared to a z51 vette I think.. very soft
Nah.. base GT suspension is very stiff, IMO anyways. @ whoever who asked where, on the highway, smoothish, got there fairly quick, not sure how long it took.

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Nah.. base GT suspension is very stiff, IMO anyways. @ whoever who asked where, on the highway, smoothish, got there fairly quick, not sure how long it took.
You over-ride the top speed limiter? Thought the 2017 were 165 Max

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Check your control arms... If they are bent, or the toe is off it will make the car feel twitchy at high speed.

Also check your tire pressures. Most handling issues can be solved by simply letting out 2 psi or so...

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
Tire pressure could make a major difference. Also, what type of roads are you on and have you ever had another car up to that speed on it? Let's face it, every road is different, and some are much better for high speeds. If a road isn't fairly flat and has a lot of ups and downs (and I don't mean hills, just a slight unevenness), high speeds are going to greatly exacerbate your issue. It'd be something to try and slowly, if possible, get up to your post-100 mph speeds gradually and see if you notice the issue at the limit and as you smoothly accelerate.

Also, close your windows. Remember, at those speeds, having them open is like dragging a parachute behind you and it will affect your car's balance.
What Blue Thunder said carries alot of weight regarding high speed handling. Many roads have a crown and perhaps some dishing in the surface from wear. At slower speeds a car may not render to the distortion of the surface. Multiply the speed by 3 or 4 times and you will definitely pay close attention. Nice smooth highways with little traffic or law are hard to come by so be careful you speed demons.

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Start with tires (higher speed rating) then Contact BMR thru email and or on here thru dm.
Sponsored