Sponsored

Car feels airy at 115 MPH

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
I have a 2019 non PP1/2 Stang and when I get up to speed (115ish) the car feels airy and not firmly planted. Are there any quick and simple mods to fix this? Like a strut bar on the engine, would that firm up the steering? I don't want to put thousands into suspension work which Im sure would help a lot but was hoping for some cheaper options.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Had my 2017 @ 170 mph. Felt extremely planted. Maybe the 18+ frontend aero isn't as good?

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Have you alignment checked.

Especially the rear toe. Not rear toe in or even toe out will make a car feel very unsettled.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all, I will have an alignment done just to make sure. I cant get up to speed very often here in Hawaii but every once in awhile a get an open road, so not a real big issue but Im just used to a car feeling more stable. I know engine struts are more cornering but do you think it will help tighten the steering up some at high speeds?

OP
OP

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed this on one of my local on ramps the rear felt floaty over a minor dip, I added steeda IRS subframe braces and it feels alot better now. https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-rear-irs-subframe-brace-2015-coupe-555-5754.html

I have a pp1 though which already has strut brace so I dont know if it would affect yours totally the same, you may need better springs or struts and shocks and a strut brace, but its worth trying this I think.
Did the brace make the suspension really stiff? Mines a DD so I want some road comfort.

myblkshadow19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang
Vehicle Showcase
no idea on the rest but I've had a many performance cars and this thing is planted! I'm loving the hell out of it when i can get on it.....

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did the brace make the suspension really stiff? Mines a DD so I want some road comfort.
no difference at all in noise vibration or harshness or stiffness, just keeps the rear subframe more centered.

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
I have had my non PP up to 145 and cruised at 120 for quite awhile. IMO the GT is the most stable car I have ever driven at high speeds.
Check your tire pressure too, low pressure really affects stability.

Sponsored
OP
OP

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If anything my tire pressure may be higher than it probably should coming from the dealership, so I will check that too. So a brace may be in the future as it is a low cost approach. I guess coming from a Z51 vette I got a little spoiled by its plantedness and just need to get used to this car.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I have had my non PP up to 145 and cruised at 120 for quite awhile. IMO the GT is the most stable car I have ever driven at high speeds.
Check your tire pressure too, low pressure really affects stability.
Tire pressure could make a major difference. Also, what type of roads are you on and have you ever had another car up to that speed on it? Let's face it, every road is different, and some are much better for high speeds. If a road isn't fairly flat and has a lot of ups and downs (and I don't mean hills, just a slight unevenness), high speeds are going to greatly exacerbate your issue. It'd be something to try and slowly, if possible, get up to your post-100 mph speeds gradually and see if you notice the issue at the limit and as you smoothly accelerate.

Also, close your windows. Remember, at those speeds, having them open is like dragging a parachute behind you and it will affect your car's balance.

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Had my 2017 @ 170 mph. Felt extremely planted. Maybe the 18+ frontend aero isn't as good?
I have been 160 MPH+ in a car built to run at those speeds and been through a lot of training to do it safely. In Germany driving specially modified American sedans. Germans really disliked it when we pulled up behind them on the autobahn and then left them in the dust when they moved over and tapped out.

170 MPH is moving real quick - how long a run up to this speed and what type of road surface? Any road imperfection hit at those speed on a standard suspension -substantial risk of lifting and loss of front/rear traction.

What type of suspension Mods you running and tires? Did it have a JATO...…. LOL

Editing adding picture 10.6
IMG_1021 (002).jpg

Last edited:

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
A second checking tire pressure. Mine were at 40+ from the dealership and the car felt terrible. I dropped them down and it feels a lot better. Just hit 130+ last night and the car felt just fine. There was no point where I lacked confidence in the car. 2019 pp1, PSI is at 32 at the moment. I also had the windows rolled up. That's the first thing I do once I hit expressway speeds.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been 160+ in a car built to run at those speeds and been through a lot of training to do it safely. Was in Germany driving specially modified American sedans 170 is moving real quick - how long a run up to this speed and what type of road surface. Any imperfection hit with a standard suspension runs the risk of lifting off at that speed. Did it have a JATO LOL
I went 178 on my last car a 630 rwhp cts-v with their magnetic shocks, took like 1-2 miles maybe 30+ seconds of wide open throttle but it was steady as anything could get

HMKcdyL.jpg
Sponsored