Sponsored

Carbon Wheel Experience Regarding Damage

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
If i had CF wheels coming, id swap them immediately and then only use them when my intentions permit it.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Bah. Had CF on the R for 12k miles. I did catch a rock on the inside and it gouged the caliper and lightly chipped the ceramic coating.

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Such a shame to hear people wanting to swap out CF wheels. The wheels are a HUGE part of what makes GT350Rs & GT500Carbon Packs feel, and perform the way they do. The car will instantly be slower on track with aftermarket forged wheels (of similar weight), and you will lose a lot of steering feel, precision, and need more static front camber.

If you live in an area with craters for pot holes and you find yourself hitting them on your daily commute, or if you tend to curb your wheels when parking (those are easy repairs and don't warrant replacements) and you don't intend on driving canyon roads or track days, then cheaper easily replaceable wheels do make more sense.

Carbon wheels are amazing and revolutionary. It's sad to see people having no clue about the benefit and bypass the experience all together.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
With all due respect, Billy, not everyone who buys a Shelby plans to go to the track and frankly, I resent being told I have "no clue." I GET carbon wheels and was merely breaching the subject of carbon wheel damage.

I won't be bypassing any experiences despite no interest in road courses and I will enjoy my vehicle every bit as much as anyone else.

Sponsored

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Until you experience it first hand, its impossible to have a clue on the magnitude of the benefit they deliver. There is a good portion of people who have never really driven on their carbon wheels and therefore don't have a clue. If you haven't driven on carbon wheels yourself (you don't have to track your car to feel the benefit), then you fit into that category.

Taking the carbon wheels off is like taking the wing off the GT500Carbon (or a Porsche GT3, GT2, Lamborghini Performante, etc...) Because you don't like the look of it. It defeats the purpose of getting that car or model to begin with.

The great thing about cars and especially the Mustang is you can do whatever you want to them to fit your own personal tastes or desires. I'm just spreading awareness to a technology that is misunderstood and not well known. Feel free to do as you please.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
FTR, I absolutely plan to experience the handling difference with the new wheels and I understand where you're coming from, Billy. But I would have avoided the derogatory comments.

However I sincerely appreciate your permission to do as I please...thanks.

US HWY 666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R
This is a complex issue. A damaged carbon fiber wheel can be a major problem.
On the other hand, I agree with Billy J. 100%. If you replace the wheels on a GT 350R
or GT 500 CFTP, it's not a R or CFTP car at that point.
Anyone who has driven a regular GT 350 and a 350R probably noticed a huge difference
in the way the cars drove.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
So are we to believe an equally weighed forged aluminum wheel will not perform the same as a CF wheel it they weigh exactly the same?

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I believe there has been a misunderstanding here. I am a firm believer in CF wheels on the track. However, these wheels, especially with sticky Cup 2s, will eventually get a rock lodged in between the caliper and the drum of the wheel on the street (and good luck getting it covered under warranty). Ask me how I know.....

The signature wheels are great substitute because they closely resemble the weight of the CF and still give you caliper clearance so that you won't go into post traumatic stress disorder when you hear the rocks bouncing off the car flying off the Cup 2s.

Again, I can't recommend the signature wheels enough for both street and track. However if the question is which is a better track wheel? I think even Terrance might agree CF would have an edge. However who is going to drop $24k for a set of them? And those who have them? Who's going to take a chance on trashing the ones you have for the street?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
This is a complex issue. A damaged carbon fiber wheel can be a major problem.
On the other hand, I agree with Billy J. 100%. If you replace the wheels on a GT 350R
or GT 500 CFTP, it's not a R or CFTP car at that point.
Anyone who has driven a regular GT 350 and a 350R probably noticed a huge difference
in the way the cars drove.
I just did. The wheels are SV902s with cup 2s. The car felt like it was on CF. However.... I agree with Billy, for the track CF is lighter.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Until you experience it first hand, its impossible to have a clue on the magnitude of the benefit they deliver. There is a good portion of people who have never really driven on their carbon wheels and therefore don't have a clue. If you haven't driven on carbon wheels yourself (you don't have to track your car to feel the benefit), then you fit into that category.

Taking the carbon wheels off is like taking the wing off the GT500Carbon (or a Porsche GT3, GT2, Lamborghini Performante, etc...) Because you don't like the look of it. It defeats the purpose of getting that car or model to begin with.

The great thing about cars and especially the Mustang is you can do whatever you want to them to fit your own personal tastes or desires. I'm just spreading awareness to a technology that is misunderstood and not well known. Feel free to do as you please.
Billy, you know I'm a fan of yours. However us mere common folk who won't get a new CF wheel from Ford when our OEMs get messed up by road debris can't afford to take that kind of chance. I will absolutely use my CF wheels on the track, but for the street? It isn't worth the risk. Ford won't cover road debris damage and based upon the recent warranty refusals, they won't even replace a wheel under warranty.

I am thankful for your presence here on this forum and your opinions, however I can't reach into my pocket to the tune of 6k or more each time I get a rock jammed into my caliper clearance.

The below photo is of the 500 CF wheel. The caliper clearance is much much worse than the 350 R.

Resized_20190208_203608.jpeg
Resized952019020895203608.jpg

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
With all due respect, Billy, not everyone who buys a Shelby plans to go to the track and frankly, I resent being told I have "no clue." I GET carbon wheels and was merely breaching the subject of carbon wheel damage.

I won't be bypassing any experiences despite no interest in road courses and I will enjoy my vehicle every bit as much as anyone else.
But, you don't have a clue if you've never driven on CF wheels and you will be bypassing experiences if you plan on never tracking the car.
Sponsored