Sponsored

Reverse lockout sticking

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Had mine at Modurstang for a new clutch (full story on that to come in my build thread) and it's already fitted with a Barton shortshifter and up until then I was experiencing zero problems.

Upon refitting everything the reverse collar was almost "popping" up and didn't want to go back down. Lee removed a plastic washer/spacer from the assembly and it solved the problem. I asked why the problem wasn't there when they originally fitted the short shifter some years ago and he said sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't. The remedy is to remove this washer and 99% of the time it solves the problem. I'll try and get a pic of it at some point so you can see what it is as I'm not sure it's part of the stock assembly or part of the Barton set-up.
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Steve - I realise today is your birthday ...:party::party::party:

but

IF I had removed the gear knob ...

HOW could the remote lockout be sticking / catching on the gear knob?

it wasnt attached!!!
Following now lol, didn't realise you meant it was still off after the WD40 and you'd then let it drop down.

@Centurion07 is this the white plastic washer that's flat on one side and bowed up on the other? If so when i replaced my shifter leather i'd put that back on upside down and it caused the lockout to not want to go in (this was with the OEM knob)

OP
OP
W111BOB

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
FIXED! - so just as a follow up if anyone else gets a similar situation ... (I see there are posts about similar situations on the 6G USA site - also with no definitive conclusion)

I have no idea what caused this to happen - but it is a little disconcerting when the reverse lockout stays up ... and you have to rely on whether the reversing camera has come on to figure if you are in reverse, or first gear!

So - I unscrewed the knob

soaked the shaft in wd40

left it over night

manipulated the reverse lockout up and down multiple times - whilst also spraying with wd40

left over night again

put knob back on

went for a 10 mile drive (to get everything as hot as it could be (I have no idea why - it seemed like a good idea at the time))

waited until car cooled completely

all fixed - no problem any more

Maybe - this was caused by dust / tiny particles of grit or something on the gear shaft?

no idea but wd40 shifted it!
Sponsored