Sponsored

Lemon law jurisdiction

7YearAscent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Do any of you know which state's lemon laws you would follow if you bought your car out of state? Thanks!
Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Dude.. Contact your DMV and ask.. Every states laws are different.
https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/cons-protect/know-rghts/problemusedcar.aspx

What vehicles are covered?
The law covers any new car, truck, motorcycle or motor home, or other motor-driven vehicle,
including demonstrator or executive-driven vehicles that are purchased, leased, or transferred to
a consumer in Wisconsin. It does not cover vehicles purchased in other states or via the internet
that are delivered outside Wisconsin. The law does not apply to mopeds, semitrailers or to
trailers designed for use in combination with a truck or a truck tractor.

https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/dmv/shared/lemonlawafter.pdf

OP
OP

7YearAscent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Sorry. I should have clarified. I wasn't asking for me..w.doing so for an out-of-state relative whose DMV was closed when I posted. I was just looking to clarify which DMV I should contact for them. Their state of residence or where they bought it, buy I guess I can do both.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Sorry. I should have clarified. I wasn't asking for me..w.doing so for an out-of-state relative whose DMV was closed when I posted. I was just looking to clarify which DMV I should contact for them. Their state of residence or where they bought it, buy I guess I can do both.
A very Good DMV question.....and your first go to.
My guess should be the state the owner lived in when car was purchased and registered in the transaction paperwork. Did dealer do registration paper work or car owner?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Usually the State in which the contract was signed is the applicable State for Lemon Law guidelines. However even though all (50) States have a Lemon Law, all vary greatly in provisions, processes and how the consumer is (or is not) protected under that law.

Also to note, most courts will find that where the car was registered or sales taxes paid is irrelevant if the Lemon claim where to go to a court proceeding.

As others have stated above, have your relative reach out to their Home State’s DMV office OR Attorney General who can provide them with exact facts and how they should proceed.

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
I had a lemon law issue on an Acura. I would contact lemon law attorneys in both states. Most are willing to give a free quote. Once I brought up the attorney with Acura they put me in a new car right away after telling me nothing could be done.
Sponsored