Trouble with tailgaters

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
In regards to the left lane dicks who are offended by any maniac traveling at a faster speed behind them, next time you want to play traffic cop and brake check them, consider this.

If you're doing 5-10 over in the left lane, and someone behind you wants to do 20+ over, would it not be smarter to let them by and become speed trap bait? I often do this while running my Valentine One, its called chasing the rabbit. A cop will hit them with radar well before he comes after me, meanwhile I'll have plenty of advanced warning to slow down.

Ok, totally off topic but can you please post a couple of pics of your Marauder’s? I loved those cars.
I'll do you one better, I have an album you can thumb through https://offroadkarter.smugmug.com/
Sponsored

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
I have no problem brake checking people who ride my ass. If someone wants to buy me a new Mustang, I'll take it. :giggle:

If they ride my ass while brake checking, I'll continue to slow down until I'm either completely stopped, they go around, or back off. F 'em lol.

No hate towards you, but big lifted trucks are bad about this. Just because your truck sits high in the air doesn't mean you get special treatment.
Be careful doing that because if they have a dashcam you’re screwed for slamming your brakes with nothing in front of you

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
In regards to the left lane dicks who are offended by any maniac traveling at a faster speed behind them, next time you want to play traffic cop and brake check them, consider this.

If you're doing 5-10 over in the left lane, and someone behind you wants to do 20+ over, would it not be smarter to let them by and become speed trap bait? I often do this while running my Valentine One, its called chasing the rabbit. A cop will hit them with radar well before he comes after me, meanwhile I'll have plenty of advanced warning to slow down.

I'll do you one better, I have an album you can thumb through https://offroadkarter.smugmug.com/
Thank you. Your cars are awesome but I’m in love with thunder.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not fooling anyone. And I can respect someone else's (less valid) opinion but only if they swear they gag all passengers because talking to a passenger is much more distracting/dangerous than voice texting.
It's not that clear-cut at all.

When talking to a passenger, you're talking to somebody who has eyes that are looking down the same stretch of road that you are (and who has as much personal interest in what's going on around them as you should). While you shouldn't be relying on this co-pilot sort of assistance, there's no such crutch available to you when you're using some of your mental capacity to compose and dictate a text.

FWIW, when driving I'll stop talking to a passenger mid-sentence and even between syllables in the same word when I need to brake (at any intensity), turn a corner or negotiate a curve (ditto), shift gears, even when squeezing into the throttle to speed up. Better the suffering be borne by the conversation of the moment than by people and property.

Norm

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
For clarification, texting involves typing. If you are dictating/narrating... then you are not typing on the phone,nor reading.

Distracted driving is a whole other issue (that includes texting). Best saved for it's own thread, than tailgating.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I’m sorry, but I’m afraid you misunderstood me. I totally agree that talking to passengers is equally or more distracting then using Bluetooth. I just wanted to point out that some drivers can be distracted by using Bluetooth. There are those who think using hands free is safe. It’s not, at least not for everyone.
By the way, I used to have a cup of coffee in the car on the way to work every morning. Distracting, yeah, could have been, but I did it. I’m not telling anyone else what they should do.
Gotcha. And for the record, I discourage passengers talking, I don't allow open food or drink in my cars. I rarely get calls anymore what with the advent of texting, email, people dying off and don't answer them in the car except for family. The open drinks stopped ~50 years ago, long before I cared about safety. A tailgater had a cup of coffee sitting on the dash (before cup holders were invented) and when I had to brake hard, so did she and her windshield turned a light brown (she used more cream than I took). So stopped to prevent the inside of my dash being Maxwell Housed. On the other hand, I'm not opposed to sex while driving. So, sue me.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
When talking to a passenger, you're talking to somebody who has eyes that are looking down the same stretch of road that you are (and who has as much personal interest in what's going on around them as you should).
You insensitive #%^*. My only passengers are the blind I volunteer to take to and from appointments. I read them your post and one wants to come beat the %@&* out of you since dirty looks are out of the question.

p.s. Unlike you, I don't talk to passengers because that is too dangerous. Glad I don't drive where you do! [/stereotypical internet persona]

p.p.s. Don't tell any of my passengers about my dirty looks crack.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Everyone who drives slower than me is an idiot who can't drive and shouldn't be on public roads. Everyone who drives faster than me is a maniac who shouldn't be driving and ought to be arrested. :explode:

No matter how fast I'm going. :crazy:
I couldn't agree more.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You insensitive #%^*. My only passengers are the blind I volunteer to take to and from appointments. I read them your post and one wants to come beat the %@&* out of you since dirty looks are out of the question.

p.s. Unlike you, I don't talk to passengers because that is too dangerous. Glad I don't drive where you do! [/stereotypical internet persona]

p.p.s. Don't tell any of my passengers about my dirty looks crack.
You've taken misunderstanding all the way to needless flame. There's no way anybody who isn't in-person familiar with you and what you do would know that your passengers are blind (and I'm taking your word for it that you're making at least a mostly true statement).

Your (claimed) individual passenger situation aside, if you're going to talk or otherwise communicate with (i.e. text) somebody else while you're driving, having that person in the car with you has advantages that a person not in the car can't possibly offer. I'm certainly not saying you should rely on your passenger here.

Actually, I don't do much talking while I'm driving. Makes me a rather poor conversationalist especially on longer drives. But even the little that I do gets put on hold under the situations I mentioned (as well as a number of others that I didn't). Interrupting your talking while driving doesn't have to happen very often in order for you to notice that you do so, not if you're paying attention anyway. Do you notice whether you always stop dictating a text if any of the situations I mentioned arise?

I'm quite aware that the more people allow themselves to be tied to their phones and instant communication (most people, it seems) the more they resist any suggestion that they put their telecommunications technologies aside while they're driving.

Norm

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
You've taken misunderstanding all the way to needless flame.
Perhaps you read too quickly while distracted (hopefully not while driving) or in the wrong frame of mind. Was meant to amuse you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Be careful doing that because if they have a dashcam you’re screwed for slamming your brakes with nothing in front of you
Yeah, I guess I should coast instead lol.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Perhaps you read too quickly while distracted (hopefully not while driving) or in the wrong frame of mind. Was meant to amuse you.
I'm afraid it's not possible to read being cursed at
as anything but flame.

Amusing to you, perhaps, but you clearly didn't provide them with the whole story here either, that you never informed me or any of the other thread participants of their condition. I wish I could make myself believe that neither of your oversights was intentional . . .

When I'm driving, I have absolutely zero ability to read anything that's posted to a forum thread - or for that matter do anything else involving the internet. Don't have the kind of phone that does that, don't particularly want one that can.

Norm

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm afraid it's not possible to read being cursed at

as anything but flame. Amusing to you, perhaps.

When I'm driving, I have absolutely zero ability to read anything that's posted to a forum thread or do anything else involving the internet. Don't have the kind of phone to do that, don't particularly want one.

Norm
The last thing I expected was for ANYONE to believe all my passengers are blind, or they were incensed over your post, or that I enjoy sex while driving, etc, etc, etc.. Or that trolls declare themselves to be a stereotypical internet persona. Or realizing every single other word was a joke would believe that #%^* was meant.

I stand corrected. :wink:

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
The last thing I expected was for ANYONE to believe all my passengers are blind, or they were incensed over your post, or that I enjoy sex while driving, etc, etc, etc.. Or that trolls declare themselves to be a stereotypical internet persona. Or realizing every single other word was a joke would believe that #%^* was meant.

I stand corrected. :wink:
I thought the joke was completely obvious, but I guess there's always 1% that don't get it.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I thought the joke was completely obvious, but I guess there's always 1% that don't get it.
Thanks.

I still REALLY do feel bad about the one. I miscalculated. Misunderstandings are pretty much always the sender's fault.

But I feel good about refraining from anti-heckler mode (eg:, What's your name? <anything but Richard>? Mind if I call you Dick?)
Sponsored