Sponsored

Does this annoy anyone else every time they get their wheels balanced?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My way around that is I take 2 wheels at a time to have tires mounted, leaving the car on jackstands or on the lift. That way I can clean them before installing back on the car, then do the other 2.
This ↑↑↑

2 wheels at a time with the old tires on them plus two loose tires for mounting and balancing. This also eliminates the possibility that the tire tech might still install the lug nuts with an impact tool even after leaving instructions to not do that, or fail to torque the nuts to the proper setting because he usually doesn't even do that.

Norm
Sponsored

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
"I'll be 72 before this year is out, and I'd be ashamed of myself" <snip>

Consider yourself lucky to be able to still do such things brother. Careful about presumptions - some of us gear heads are worse for the wear & it has nothing to do with lazyness or being too snooty to wrench & fuss on things ourselves.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
"I'll be 72 before this year is out, and I'd be ashamed of myself" <snip>

Consider yourself lucky to be able to still do such things brother. Careful about presumptions - some of us gear heads are worse for the wear & it has nothing to do with lazyness or being too snooty to wrench & fuss on things ourselves.
My comment was directed specifically at OP, who has already confirmed in post #1 that
i'll be jacking car backup and removing the wheels again to remove the tape.
So there was no presumption involved.

If you must know, my lower back and left knee aren't exactly in the best of shape either. Which sometimes makes me have to figure out ways of working smarter instead of harder, and to strap on a knee brace or a weightlifter's belt when those body parts start telling me I'd better do that or else. It's just my basic outlook in life to tackle most anything myself as opposed to farming it out, which I guess I inherited from my Dad and his Dad.

Coincidences and timing being what they are, I just got back from having the new set of cold-season tires for the WRX mounted on their brand-new rims (no, I'm not making this up). Other reasons aside, I never once considered just leaving the car there and letting the shop handle the whole job including the swap. That part of the seasonal swap is on my to-do list for either tomorrow or Thursday.

Norm

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
""i'll be jacking car backup and removing the wheels again to remove the tape.""
"So there was no presumption involved."

Well I have to deal with stuff myself too when someone else doesn't (they didn't tell him no, they just didn't do it). Does that prove I like doing it or it was inevitable? <shrug>

Its great you have pride in doing everything or most things yourself - same here...except oil changes - nothing interesting about that anymore. Not sure why we would expect everyone else to be wired that way here but challenging the OP seemed to be from that POV (the whole "I'd be ashamed of myself if I started to think that taking a couple of wheels off my car for any reason was not a viable approach to the desired end result"). You said you work smarter not harder - Is having to jack & dismount 4 tires on your time off or with a weight belt is a compelling example? Meh... but we're all wired differently including what we rationalize. One mans zen is another's lost tee time. Cheers.

I'll agree with the OP - yeah, that's annoying BUT (big but) as someone else suggested there are usually a lot of choices when it comes to tire service...and you have to communicate what you want for service - if they don't check it off or write it down its not going to be done. Right? Yeh. And expect...hell offer upfront to pay for exactly what you want - think of what its worth to you.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
The night before I had new tires put on I pulled the wheels, removed the weights, tape, glue and cleaned the inside thoroughly. Of course that did not stop them from gouging up the side of the black painted rim. :(

Sponsored

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
The night before I had new tires put on I pulled the wheels, removed the weights, tape, glue and cleaned the inside thoroughly. Of course that did not stop them from gouging up the side of the black painted rim. :(
This is why I use my dealer - its not just a cheap a** mounting job fee - I'm a long term customer buying SUV's and Shelbys and they have to service my warranty claims. Drawback is not shopping around but then these vehicles and their parts like rims are damned expensive so...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
""i'll be jacking car backup and removing the wheels again to remove the tape.""
"So there was no presumption involved."

Well I have to deal with stuff myself too when someone else doesn't (they didn't tell him no, they just didn't do it). Does that prove I like doing it or it was inevitable? <shrug>
It's not about whether you like doing it or not, It's about just sucking it up and doing little tasks like this without complaint. Otherwise it comes off like a teen-ager whining about having to do chores or homework. Grow up.

Norm

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
To be honest, I don't even like the stick-on weights. I've had them come off and scratch a wheel when they went slinging off, not to mention they are visible and just look trashy.
Many wheels can't use the old style weights that are hammered on. I cover them up with black electrical tape to hide the stick ons….

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
It's not about whether you like doing it or not, It's about just sucking it up and doing little tasks like this without complaint. Otherwise it comes off like a teen-ager whining about having to do chores or homework. Grow up.
Norm
Fairest bet is that for most of us this is a hobby. 100% for fun & maybe even therapy. If they're like "chores" to you then that's your burden.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Fairest bet is that for most of us this is a hobby. 100% for fun & maybe even therapy. If they're like "chores" to you then that's your burden.
I rather doubt that any of us would pull a couple of wheels and remount them purely for the fun of it.

Norm

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
SO is just me - is this just happening when you change tires or are you constantly getting your tire / wheels balanced? Just asking. I can't remember the last time I had to get tires balanced after the initial install. Roadforce balance, drive until tires needs replacing - rotating every 5K miles or so. Is that just me?

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Now you're getting it.
Always did. Kind of makes wheel dismounting/remounting something of a . . . chore, right?

I think OP was hoping that the shop tech doing his wheel work cared enough about the end appearance of the wheels to do more than OP was willing to do himself. Not exactly a realistic expectation.

Nor

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
"Always did. Kind of makes wheel dismounting/remounting something of a . . . chore, right?"

Yes, only if you can't make it happen otherwise.
For example those who cannot communicate too often come to the conclusion that only they can do a certain task or they find some other rationale other than they suck at managing a situation/contractor and have no choice but to do the work themselves.

"I think OP was hoping that the shop tech doing his wheel work cared enough about the end appearance of the wheels to do more than OP was willing to do himself. Not exactly a realistic expectation."

It would not be a realistic expectation BUT it also, as reported, not what happened. In your version its "hoping" where as he said that he asked them to do that task. That he didn't succeed in that communication was the problem but its not the same as your strawman of just hoping others care more than he did.
Sponsored

Last edited: