Sponsored

Cold air intake suggestions?

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Drop in a K&N replacement and enjoy. The OEM air filter is the thickest paper I have ever seen and is highly restrictive.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Learned a lot here. I would like a Cold Air Intake on my 2018 Mustang GT PP.
However, like someone stated, I am going to wait for my warranty to end, then look into one. Seems a covered choice is the way to go.

PS: Is the CAI mainly for additional horsepower? Anything else?

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
However, like someone stated, I am going to wait for my warranty to end, then look into one. Seems a covered choice is the way to go.

A CAI is mainly for fitting to an aftermarket Intake Manifold. If you are stock it's worthless.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

A CAI without a tune is for appearances only. You will not see and/or feel any difference. You do not need to wait for your warranty to end if you’re not getting a tune. If you want to increase airflow get an OEM type replacement filter for use in the stock box (which is pretty damn good).

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, understood. I guess the question now is, what is the 'better' filter of choice?

Thanks all...

A CAI without a tune is for appearances only. You will not see and/or feel any difference. You do not need to wait for your warranty to end if you’re not getting a tune. If you want to increase airflow get an OEM type replacement filter for use in the stock box (which is pretty damn good).

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Ah, understood. I guess the question now is, what is the 'better' filter of choice?

Thanks all...
Two types, wet & dry, all excellent. The K&N is the wet one. It needs to be oiled. Some owners have had MAF issues because of it. The dry ones are AFE or AEM. There is going to be a new kid on the block shortly, TKO. It’s also dry. I’m waiting to see some performance numbers from them and then make up my mind

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A drop in K&N or other high flow air filter will give the same HP gains as a CAI. The EB FP tune kit now comes with a K&N drop in vs the previous GT350 CAI.

I have been using K&N on all motorcycles and cars for 20+ years, never had a single issue. You can buy a recharge kit and clean, renew the air filter every 50k miles or so. I have gone 130k miles a couple of times in K&N.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
A drop in K&N or other high flow air filter will give the same HP gains as a CAI. The EB FP tune kit now comes with a K&N drop in vs the previous GT350 CAI.

I have been using K&N on all motorcycles and cars for 20+ years, never had a single issue. You can buy a recharge kit and clean, renew the air filter every 50k miles or so. I have gone 130k miles a couple of times in K&N.
K&N has been around for a long time. Used them years ago for a number of vehicles. So what's the deal with them and MAF's?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you buy a CAI that doesn't require a tune, you're literally wiping your ass with your money. Modern intake systems are very well engineered with a ton of R&D dollars put into them. Tune + stock intake or tune + tune required CAI. Nothing else.

What really baffles me too is how there are some people who will split hairs over "power increases" from non tune required CAI's costing $300 that are literally within the error correction of one dyno pull to another dyno pull on the same dyno but then will lose their minds and shit over someone spending $1500 on headers that will actually provide real gains and torque curve improvements across the entire RPM band. Or a tune that costs $400 which is by FAR the best bang for the buck, even over a relatively simple and clean supercharger offering.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K&N has been around for a long time. Used them years ago for a number of vehicles. So what's the deal with them and MAF's?
To clean a K&N, you use a recharge kit. First you spray some solution on the filter, hose off and dry.

Once dry, you spray the filter with an oil solution and dry.

Some people over spray oil and don't dry before putting it into the box. The air flow sucks in the excess oil and fouls the MAF.

I have the recharge kit and used it several times in the past 20 years, never had an issue.

You can go 50k+ miles on a K&N without cleaning depending on conditions.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I had a CAI on my 2011 GT and it was worth it just because of the sound. Also that generation may have had more restrictive stock intakes. I just have a K&N in my 2018 and I am happy with it.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I have been using K&N as well with no problems. My .02
Sponsored