grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey guys,
I installed my whipple earlier this year. Since install I have problems with knock. My question for you is how inconsistent is the fuel quality in your area? I started out with a station I have always used before the SC and I ended up getting +4 knock at WOT. I tried a QT station because of their guarantee and I would see up to +1* at WOT. I switched to a local BP and things have been good with -2* on their 93 only. I had to fill up this morning on the road at a BP about 20 miles away from home and I felt a difference. I hooked up the Nguage and saw +3.5 knock. I live in the upstate of SC and it seems like I cant find consistent 93 octane.
Sponsored

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
My whipple stage 3 gen 2 had problems with knock on 91 from all the stations in my area.

OP
OP
grabber_17

grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My whipple stage 3 gen 2 had problems with knock on 91 from all the stations in my area.
I really thought that I would never see issues because we have 93 here and Whipple says their tune is set up for 91. It is really frustrating. The range is crazy I have seen as much as 20.5* of total timing all the way down to 10*.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I really thought that I would never see issues because we have 93 here and Whipple says their tune is set up for 91. It is really frustrating. The range is crazy I have seen as much as 20.5* of total timing all the way down to 10*.
Are you running a Lund Tune or you running the Whipple Tune?
How are you monitoring your motor to show you have a Knock?

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
10* at peak? Is someone pissing in your tank when you’re not looking?

OP
OP
grabber_17

grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Whipple tune but I use an Nguage to monitor the knock pid and my fuel trims.

OP
OP
grabber_17

grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
10* at peak? Is someone pissing in your tank when you’re not looking?
You would think! On that pull it went +4 knock instantly so I didn't pull the whole gear, when I looked at the log the timing stayed at 10* but I don't remember what rpm I stopped. I would have to go back and look.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Fuel quality and consistency is definitely an issue. I went through the same thing with my Whipple and different stations. Mine was not a daily driver, so I just started using the same Shell station near my house that seemed to have the best quality judging by the way the car responded from all the choices around. Even doing that I still had some issues. I ended up just investing in Boostane Professional to combat fuel consistency issues and didn't have any problems after that. If you are going to keep your car on pump gas I would highly recommend.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Whipple tune but I use an Nguage to monitor the knock pid and my fuel trims.
The reason I asked that question is I saw in your profile you are running a Lund Flex E85 tune also.Do you run that tune at the track?

Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
The reason I asked that question is I saw in your profile you are running a Lund Flex E85 tune also.Do you run that tune at the track?
His profile never mentions a Whipple, either, so I suspect it's just old info.

OP
OP
grabber_17

grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Fuel quality and consistency is definitely an issue. I went through the same thing with my Whipple and different stations. Mine was not a daily driver, so I just started using the same Shell station near my house that seemed to have the best quality judging by the way the car responded from all the choices around. Even doing that I still had some issues. I ended up just investing in Boostane Professional to combat fuel consistency issues and didn't have any problems after that. If you are going to keep your car on pump gas I would highly recommend.
How has your experience with boostane been? Do you have a problem with the orange residue that you see with octanium?

OP
OP
grabber_17

grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yea, I forgot to update that info. I did run a flex fuel tune from Lund before the Whipple. I will go back to them if I upgrade my fuel system for E85.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Tha
Yea, I forgot to update that info. I did run a flex fuel tune from Lund before the Whipple. I will go back to them if I upgrade my fuel system for E85.
Thanks,sure hopes you get problem worked out.I always run ms109 and 92 octane mix 50/50 while I am under boost at the track just to be on the safe side.I know it is not cheap, but safe.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Tha
Thanks,sure hopes you get problem worked out.I always run ms109 and 92 octane mix 50/50 while I am under boost at the track just to be on the safe side.I know it is not cheap, but safe.
Sponsored