Sponsored

Future buyer; fuel economy of GT versus EcoBoost

PNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5
Hello there. Long time reader, first time writer.

My eye's been on a Mustang for years and the time is fast approaching. By fast, I mean the next 12-24 months, but based on how long I've been thinking about it... that's fast, LOL. I'm in the home stretch...!

It will be a daily driver (approx 110km a day, M-F plus whatever the weekend brings), so my default idea has been the EcoBoost. On paper it makes sense and in the real world, having owned V8s before, I know how the paper figures can go out the window if you want to give the car a bit of a squirt and drive it in a spirited way on a regular basis...!

But I thought it might be worth talking to you good folks about it, just to reinforce (or maybe change?), what I'm thinking. For example, if you drive an EcoBoost in a spirited way, does the fuel economy head towards the GT anyway? Obviously I know it would go up, but would a spirited EcoBoost be in the low teens, while a spirited GT might nudge high teens/100km?

And yes, I know all the non fuel economy reasons to go for the GT - starting with the lovely music it makes. I get it. Again, I've owned V8s before. I like them a lot. But I drive such a stupid amount, the petrol costs would just be killer in a GT, I think.

Look forward to your thoughts and hello again...!
Sponsored

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Haven't driven a Ecobeast but imo, i doubt you'd be unhappy. Fuel economy wise i've heard they're great compared to the GT. I don't do many long distances with minimal traffic interuptions so i average about 17l/100km with stock. I have a pretty heavy foot. After the club cruise today i dropped down to 14.5L/100k but i also put on a Lund tune for it which may have helped economy, i dunno.

With that amount of km's you do i'd be happy with the ecoboost. It'll be a shitload cheaper and it's still a mustang. Looks the same in all other respects pretty much. I'm sure it's the same feeling. You may not get the V8 noise but it'll be a great cruiser. The ecoboosts apparently benefit well from the new A10 transmission too so you'll be surprisingly quick i'm sure :)

Reactions: PNY

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
I've had my Ecoboost as a daily driver for 2.5 years and just hit 50,000km. The average fuel has been 9ltr/100km according to the computer, mostly city commuting for work. On a run with mate (Megane Cup) today, down the south coast, Macquarie Pass and Hume Highway return 7ltr/100km. See my signature for a list of torque focused mods & tune.

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
My gt is a daily driver in Adelaide traffic. I've done 33000km and No matter how I drive it, like a granny or spirited I have averaged 14.2lt per 100km which I think is good considering the smile value I get

OP
OP
PNY

PNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5
These are some really great replies, thank you guys!

Sponsored

etbiru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Ive done about 9000km in nearly 2 years. I averaged 12.3l/100 on my GT.

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
16000 km in GT vert - heavier by 80 kg
Lifetime average is 11.8 l/100 km

Best on trip 8.9 l/100 km but generally get 9.5 going to Canberra - that’s 30 mpg - roof down new V8 auto. Roof down creates extra drag

About 12.5 around town - old school about 23 mpg
I drive like Nanna

wireless?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fastback GT
2018 GT Auto you will get ~8.7 on the motoroway (lots of cruise control). Never got worse that ~12 with my son driving, no stop / start though.

What about the performance ecoboost, that should be available next year with a few more kW and broader torque band?

I don't see anyone posting this, but I have to say how good the electronics are on Fords, Sync 3, digital dash, adaptive cruise control. As good as anything else out there from anyone in my sheltered experience!

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
Done about 1600 miles (2500 km) in my '19 GT convertible auto. Initially in S all the time, latterly in D, mix of give-and-take country roads and some motorway going with the flow. I've averaged 21 mpg (13.5 l/100km) - based on trip with AFE bias corrected to match brim-to-brim calculations. Best tank I had was 24 mpg (11.8 l/100km), worst has been 16 mpg (17.7 l/100km). Might get better as the engine loosens up...and then again it might not! It's actually better than I expected based on my old C6 Vette auto which did about the same mpg but was a lot lighter and punched a smaller hole in the air...

Freman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eco boost 21-10-16
Ecoboost
cruising on long road trips 6.1/100
M-F Daily work commute 8.4/100 (10min drive to work, hardly enough to warm it up)
Fun Driving :-) up to about 13.5/100

Sponsored

Budoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer
3 month old 2019 gt. Stopped checking fuel consumption after the first two weeks

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi Rob I reckon a new exhaust improved the economy of my manual GT, I only need to give it a tiny blip at low revs now to sense the V8 goodness. I do a mix of city and country driving and generally 'exercise' it a few times on every trip without going to the extent of inviting plod to take my licence, after 15k km it's at 10.5 l/100.

RogerS59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang Coupe, 2019 Silver GT, FG Falcon XR8 Ute
if fuel is your concern you are looking at the wrong sort of car mate

These Stangs are more than just transport

clive1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible
I have a 17 convertible that has done about 4k in 18 months. I have done a few trips, always with the hood down and usually at the speed limit, in it but most use is local in heavy traffic. I have kept a spreadsheet since I got it and the stats are:
Average L/100km = 16.8 or 16.8mpg
Best L/100km = 9.4 or 30.0mpg
Worst L/100km = 22.8 or 12.4mpg
Was in the USA recently and hired a MY19 EB convertible which averaged 27mpg or approx 32.4imperial mpg.

You may notice in the pic it shows 9.1L/100Km but I find the actual usage more accurate but 700k on a tank is pretty impressive!
20180424_131530.jpg

View attachment 392301

I agree with RogerS59
These Stangs are more than just transport
Enjoy, I know I do

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

ecoboyboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
White EB auto
I'v had my ecoboost for nearly 4 years and driven 75K. I've averaged 9.5litres/100. I always drive in sport (auto) sometimes paddle shifting. I plant the foot regularly.
I love the car and will keep it indefinitely.
Sponsored

Last edited: