Sponsored

GT350 vs Supra / M2 Comp / 718 Cayman Review -- C&D Article Oct 2019

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
who is on 4? I would say if someone has gone through 4 engines you need to consider MAYBE the driver? After years on this forum and reading all the engine failure threads I dont think we are at 1%

You realize that BMW doesnt warranty your engine if you blow it on the track right? They probably were not double clutching. Granny shifts!!
It's not the drivers. These are highly experienced people who are tracking all the time and some own multiple cars with zero issues; There are a few mustang shops and dealers that service these drivers/cars and yes, there is a widely acknowledged problem. I took care of the 350 just as much as the M3 (where I actually had overrevs) one engine has 100,000 miles and 25 track days on a tune and the other could do no more than 2 consecutive track days without an issue.

BMW does not warranty it, as I said Ford stands behind its warranty no questions asked, which is great. But, the problem is not just the engine, but I had multiple coolant hoses blow on the track due to assembly issues (one from water pump, the other from a bad radiator clamp post engine replacement) dumping coolant all over the track, tons of throttle hesitation due to bad driveshaft sensor and a bad wiring harness, an AC compressor that went out, and faulty cylinder rings (where failed compression test based on my observations of poor thottle response and I preventatively brought the car in before it would have blown on the track). Sorry, but your track day is ruined because of a stupid coolant hose coming out of the water pump or a clamp (on two separate occasions) and have to get towed to the dealer, the lack of reliability when shelling out money for track days, track insurance costs, hotel stays, time off, track cleanup fees, etc becomes infuriating. It also doesn't help that outside a couple of dealers, you have a dealership network that is used to working on F-150s, Fusions, Exploers and are not used to maintaining cars to a high motorsports/track ready caliber. What's worse, a great warranty and not so great reliability or a mediocre warranty but great reliability?

Ford did right by me through a lemon buyback and properly stood behind their product and I instead got a GT3 RS, which I'm hoping is going to be much more reliable (great warranty and good reliability) and so far, so good (knock on wood).

Ford took a gamble when developing the FPC engine at a very accelerated development schedule (by their own admission) and are pretty new to developing really bleeding edge, high performance but mass produced road cars that can go on a track without breaking a sweat (whereas BMW and Porsche have been doing it for decades). I think now though with the v2 engine upgrades, things will be better engine wise. The dealer servicing however, leaves a lot to be desired in terms of consistency and competence.
Sponsored

edmd007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 20 GT500 Iconic CFTP
Life is too short to only own one car......
I am looking to add the GT350 to my stable next year, unfortunately still undecided if "R" or "non-R".....
R,you wont regret it. Resonator delete makes the exhaust note even better. If its an "extra car"...R all the way. I had a base 350 and traded for R......The differences are hard to tangibly articulate....Ill use this analogy...when skiing or snowboarding, Fresh Powder..its like trying to explain sex to a virgin.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
There's a few cars left out that would nicely fit the criteria.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
If I was going to do lots of track days in the 350 I would probably get lots of drill bits, safety wire, good safety wire pliers and check all hoses and clamps and safety wire them. Just like on my racebikes. Porsche’s are not immune from some cheapness here and there, the biggest one being the glued in coolant pipes in the 997 TT and GT3 variants that have been known to fail as they age. The AOS as well.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
BMW's are bland to drive...

My 135is was the last BMW to have hydraulic steering and a simple ride in a new M240 shows that BMW has lost their way. So, BMW makes it even easier to never consider them again, after driving the bland 2-series. Car & Driver has every right to hit BMW over the head with their comments. BMW won't listen...

And while I am ripping on BMW's 2-series, I might as well laugh at them too.... because now there is a 2.3hipo coming out, w/real (torsen) differential.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
I thought these 2020 GT 350's were hotter with the new block and more head flow, 12.5 at 117 is pathetic.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
I thought these 2020 GT 350's were hotter with the new block and more head flow, 12.5 at 117 is pathetic.
The car is not a drag car and even Ford didn't quote 0-60 times when it was introduced. The engine doesn't even get started until 4K+ RPM. The same is true of the GT 5.0 as the Camaro dusts it in the quarter mile but at the half mile the Camaro is no where to be seen.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Formula 1 teams are facing similar problems. Despite the millions of dollars poured in they're still losing to top fuel dragsters in the 1/4 mile.

Sponsored

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
Formula 1 teams are facing similar problems. Despite the millions of dollars poured in they're still losing to top fuel dragsters in the 1/4 mile.
Great analogy, you must work for NASA?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Man you got to admire that little M2 comp...it rips.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
“It recorded the longest stop from 70 mph (155 feet) and the lowest lateral grip (1.01 g's) at the track.“

Uhhh... the tires on the M2 were already trashed, or the pads were trashed or both.
155 is something seriously wrong on that chassis.
...and I own a Mustang.

Edit: I double down on that. I understand their BMW Contact would allow them retest on fresh OEM tires. Lol.
-1 BMW
-1 car n driver

Last edited:

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Looks like the genius could do some consulting for the F1 teams. Go on and get over there 200MPHCOBRUH, hit them with that knowledge and let us know how it works out for you!

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
If I was going to do lots of track days in the 350 I would probably get lots of drill bits, safety wire, good safety wire pliers and check all hoses and clamps and safety wire them. Just like on my racebikes. Porsche’s are not immune from some cheapness here and there, the biggest one being the glued in coolant pipes in the 997 TT and GT3 variants that have been known to fail as they age. The AOS as well.
Wouldn't have helped with the hose that popped off directly from the water pump, where there is no clamp! Engine heats up, hose pops off, engine cools off, hose can fit tightly in. Sorry, but that kind of defect has no place in a brand new high performance car!
Sponsored