Sponsored

Wire harness for backup camera

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Does anyone know what's the part number for that is? Or does anyone know if there is a stiff wire in there that keeps the rigidity of the whole harness but not actually used to carry current or data? Reason I'm asking is I noticed that mine is folded when I close the trunk, and when examining the folding point there appears to be a broken wire, but the backup camera works fine and the trunk lid can be opened by key fob, release button inside and outside the car, so I'm not sure what the broken wire does (or is it actually a wire). Checked my friend's car and his makes a nice smooth curve when opening and closing the trunk.
Sponsored

Ecoboosted15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Perf pack A10
We have had a lot of issues with back up cameras not working or wires breaking due to the natural curve/bend they have there caused by normal use of the trunk being opened and closed. Here at this dealership service dept I work at, we extend all the wires so that doesn't happen in the future, cause the slack from the factory is also abit on the short end so it gets pulled a lot.

OP
OP
DukeGaGa

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So is there a stiff wire in that thing? Cause mine can make a 180 degree sharp angle and I can see a broken off end inside the nylon wrap. Right now I wrapped the broken part with some electrical tape to keep it straight when closing the trunk lid like it should be.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Do you still have functional Sirius Radio?
Does trunk light illuminate in dash cluster if lid is popped or left open?
Does interior light inside of trunk illuminate?

Those would be the other possibilities.

The same harness in my prior 2016 had to be fixed under warranty because of what has been mentioned, not enough slack in loom and from using trunk, eventually the wires break and have to be repaired.

OP
OP
DukeGaGa

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The same harness in my prior 2016 had to be fixed under warranty because of what has been mentioned, not enough slack in loom and from using trunk, eventually the wires break and have to be repaired.
Didn't know this wire is related to Sirius Radio, will check later, the interior light illuminates fine, will also double check the dash cluster for open trunk, think I saw it lit up but don't quite remember. Thanks for the tip.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DukeGaGa

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Checked everything mentioned above, all works fine, guess that means I don't need to be too worried. And glad to know this will be covered by warranty, might get it replaced some day.

Travis Rhoads

Threads
Reaction score
Website
travisrhoadsphoto.smugmug.com
First Name
Travis Rhoads
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT-Premium-PP-50th

so, if the answer to all of those questions is YES...does that mean the camera is bad, or the connection to the camera is bad on the trunk lid? Mine has stopped completely now...and while I don't need it, it sure is nice when parked in parking lots to be able to see stuff from both sides that I can't see sitting in the car...

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
We have had a lot of issues with back up cameras not working or wires breaking due to the natural curve/bend they have there caused by normal use of the trunk being opened and closed. Here at this dealership service dept I work at, we extend all the wires so that doesn't happen in the future, cause the slack from the factory is also abit on the short end so it gets pulled a lot.
How are you guys extending the wires? I had a few of mine cut and the camera and trunk light crapped out, they're spliced with butt connectors now and all is well - but the wiring is still pretty taught when the trunk lid is open, trying to avoid this down the line.

Thanks,

Ryan

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How are you guys extending the wires? I had a few of mine cut and the camera and trunk light crapped out, they're spliced with butt connectors now and all is well - but the wiring is still pretty taught when the trunk lid is open, trying to avoid this down the line.

Thanks,

Ryan

Just use similar gauge wire, cut the repair lengths longer, splice into place. The connectors you are using really aren’t that great, as they can separate over time. Best method would be to either:

1) strip wire ends, twist until tight and use heat shrink tubing to seal
2) strip wire ends, twist, solder and then use heath shrink tubing

After repairing, get length of black conduit or the cloth wire loom tape and seal the exposed wires again.

There should be enough slack given in the repair so that when trunk is fully opened and then closed, the wire loom is not being stretched or kinked.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Just use similar gauge wire, cut the repair lengths longer, splice into place. The connectors you are using really aren’t that great, as they can separate over time. Best method would be to either:

1) strip wire ends, twist until tight and use heat shrink tubing to seal
2) strip wire ends, twist, solder and then use heath shrink tubing

After repairing, get length of black conduit or the cloth wire loom tape and seal the exposed wires again.

There should be enough slack given in the repair so that when trunk is fully opened and then closed, the wire loom is not being stretched or kinked.
It's mostly a stop gap for now, I know it needs a better repair. Wiring is something I don't know much about...I can reconnect fine, but adding new? Clueless. From what I saw that was cut...there was a white/blue, blue/white, and silver non insulated strands. Not sure which relates to the camera, but I'd like to extend all of them. I think they're all 18 gauge - any idea which wiring is needed for the three? Where would I find wiring of the same color to match it up?

Forgive the probably stupid questions, trying to understand.

Sponsored

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
The color of the wires simply tells someone with a wiring chart what each does. I need to repair mine soon and will simply use an inch or two of similar gauge wire (all the same color) to do the repairs, as long as blue gets connected to blue, etc... No need to get the $75 wire loom from a dealer. RIPOFF.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
is there a part # for the trunk wire harness?

I’ve never seen one posted (yet). You can try reaching out to Vendor “Levittown Ford” on here and ask, they’re really good with sourcing out original parts, part numbers and have fair pricing.

I think the Ford TSB repair to splice and repair the harness may be due to the fact that the harness where the break occurs is part of a larger body harness. A body harness is much more expensive and more labor intensive to replace than to just find the damage and splice/repair.

Ulm's 'Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
All black 2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium convertible
I’ve never seen one posted (yet). You can try reaching out to Vendor “Levittown Ford” on here and ask, they’re really good with sourcing out original parts, part numbers and have fair pricing.

I think the Ford TSB repair to splice and repair the harness may be due to the fact that the harness where the break occurs is part of a larger body harness. A body harness is much more expensive and more labor intensive to replace than to just find the damage and splice/repair.
Bought a used 2016 Mustang & the wires had already broken & someone did a ridiculously horrible job trying to fix them with butt crimp connectors. I went through and soldered & heat shrink insulated them all. The problem I'm having is that the antenna cable for the satellite radio antenna is a coaxial wire about 1/8" thick. I spliced it as best I could, but it will not receive any signal. Had hoped to find a replacement harness, but I'm guessing that you're right in it being a body harness.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored