Sponsored

Bret Barber's Ported 2018+ Throttle Bodies - Info / Pics Inside, Available Now, no tuning needed

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
-7 HP
I understand a loss is a loss but what is the typical Dyno +/- margin of error base on percentage ?

Was the time base rate to max engine RPM different from stock to ported ?
Correction factors should allow runs to be compared as long as they are on the same dyno. Showing -7 is about 15hp minimum shy of what I would suspect should be gained
Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Correction factors should allow runs to be compared as long as they are on the same dyno
I’m referring to the Dyno mfg’s advertised and documented +/- measured repeatability of the load cells or strain gauge.
Correction factor is another discussion.

476 HP vs. 469 HP = 1.5% delta

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
-7 HP
I understand a loss is a loss but what is the typical Dyno +/- margin of error base on percentage ?

Was the time base rate to max engine RPM different from stock to ported ? ie. the rate of acceleration
Don't know the answer to either question. What I do know is that both runs were just days apart and the weather hasn't changed significantly. Temps were the same and even the time I did the pulls were the same, 88 degrees and around 11:45am. Same Dyno.

The ported throttle body and ported manifold did jack squat in my case. Even if you push that 476 vs 469 is within some margin of error, that still proves a ported throttle body and manifold does jack squat for power (at least in my case) and not worth $500+.

However, I also know for a fact that this isn't some kind of margin of error discrepancy, because overall drivability and how the power comes on feels MUCH better with the stock manifold/tb on. When I first put on the ported manifold/tb, I couldn't help but notice there was a faint but noticeable drop off of power as it approached 7000 rpms. After 7000 rpms the power dropped off rather quick.

Not so with the stock manifold/tb back on. Now the car pulls incredibly hard to 7000 and afterwards, the dropoff is much less noticeable.I shift at 7800.

It's not like I'm using a shit tuner, the tune is by rob shoemaker of PBD. He also told me there was another case of a 2018 owner complaining about a drop off in power, and it came right back up when he put back the stock manifold on. So this might be more widespread for 2018+ owners.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Don't know the answer to either question. What I do know is that both runs were just days apart and the weather hasn't changed significantly. Temps were the same and even the time I did the pulls were the same, 88 degrees and around 11:45am. Same Dyno.

The ported throttle body and ported manifold did jack squat in my case. Even if you push that 476 vs 469 is within some margin of error, that still proves a ported throttle body and manifold does jack squat for power (at least in my case) and not worth $500+.

However, I also know for a fact that this isn't some kind of margin of error discrepancy, because overall drivability and how the power comes on feels MUCH better with the stock manifold/tb on. When I first put on the ported manifold/tb, I couldn't help but notice there was a faint but noticeable drop off of power as it approached 7000 rpms. After 7000 rpms the power dropped off rather quick.

Not so with the stock manifold/tb back on. Now the car pulls incredibly hard to 7000 and afterwards, the dropoff is much less noticeable.I shift at 7800.

It's not like I'm using a shit tuner, the tune is by rob shoemaker of PBD. He also told me there was another case of a 2018 owner complaining about a drop off in power, and it came right back up when he put back the stock manifold on. So this might be more widespread for 2018+ owners.
Why didnt you leave the ported mainfold and just reinstall stock tb?

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
Why didnt you leave the ported mainfold and just reinstall stock tb?
Tuner suspected it was the manifold and after the conversation with Brett they suggested I replace it back to stock, offered me a full refund. I took it. Back to where I was before, which is good.

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Tuner suspected it was the manifold and after the conversation with Brett they suggested I replace it back to stock, offered me a full refund. I took it. Back to where I was before, which is good.
Its odd how others have shown gains but you showed a loss. Who's your tuner? Maybe there was something they were unfamiliar with ??? IDK. Just seems odd.

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
Its odd how others have shown gains but you showed a loss. Who's your tuner? Maybe there was something they were unfamiliar with ??? IDK. Just seems odd.
Rob Shoemaker at Palm Beach Dyno. Dunno what happened, car is back to normal now that's all that matters.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
There’s probably merit in having the manifolds pressure checked.

The guys out there porting the OEM intakes should think about pressure checking the manifolds before sending out to customers.
A few block off plates and either pressurize or pull a vacuum over a specified duration will certify a leak free manifold.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Incoming air is not metered/measured at the TB. It is metered by the MAF sensor at the air inlet just after the air filter housing. Porting the TB does not interfere with the velocity to volume ratio of incoming air as seen by the MAF sensor.
@VooDooDaddy Then why is it if you use a aftermarket intake w/ the stock throttle body a tune is needed?

Last edited:

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
@VooDooDaddy Then why is it if you use a aftermarket intake w/ the stock throttle body a tune is needed?
Simple. With intake manifolds such as the '18-'20 GT, Boss 302, Cobra Jet, Holly Sniper; they either have no IMRC's, peeps to chose to lock out the IMRC's or the IMRC's operate off different voltage parameters.

When I installed a '17 F-150 intake manifold onto my '16 GT, my Flex-Fuel tune required no revisions because the IMRC operate exactly the same on the F-150 manifold as they do the GT manifold.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
@VooDooDaddy so a GT350 intake will technically require no tune then? Cause the stock GT cams are only good to 7200 rpm so there's no point in raising the rev limit to 8250, correct?

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
so a GT350 intake will technically require no tune then? Cause the stock GT cams are only good to 7200 rpm so there's no point in raising the rev limit to 8250, correct?
OEM soft RPM cutout is around 6850 with ignition / fuel cutout around 7000.
By not raising limiter power is being left on the table.
The GT350 manifold has a good amount of backup toque and HP so taking the soft limiter to 7500 to 7800 with ignition / fuel cutoff around 8000 will optimize gains without constantly bouncing off the rev limiter.

You are correct, 7200ish RPM on stock 15-17 Coyote cams is the peak but the GT350 holds a good curve for several hundred more RPMs without falling off the powerband.

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct, 7200ish RPM on stock 15-17 Coyote cams is the peak but the GT350 hold a good curve for several hundred more RPMs without falling off the powerband.
Seen this, albeit with Crane aftermarket cams:
2016-06-15_00-13-29.jpg

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium