Power Pack 1 + Clutch Spring

OP
OP

JustaMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm going to go with the PP1. If worse comes to worse, I'll put the stock spring back in but so far I'm hearing people are doing just fine with the spring removed or Steeda spring. I didn't know the 18's come with NLTS stock, that's interesting. I also have 295's on the back..

Can anyone chime in on PP2 vs PP1? I posted in the poll thread on PP2 and a lot of people tell me to get the PP2 but no clear answer as to why. I can't justify spending over $500 more on a setup that yields overall 8hp/8tq more over the PP1.
Sponsored

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm going to go with the PP1. If worse comes to worse, I'll put the stock spring back in but so far I'm hearing people are doing just fine with the spring removed or Steeda spring. I didn't know the 18's come with NLTS stock, that's interesting. I also have 295's on the back..

Can anyone chime in on PP2 vs PP1? I posted in the poll thread on PP2 and a lot of people tell me to get the PP2 but no clear answer as to why. I can't justify spending over $500 more on a setup that yields overall 8hp/8tq more over the PP1.
but 2 = 2 * 1, it's double the number for only $500. :lol:
But seriously, I'd say go with PP2.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
No problem. It's pretty far up on the clutch arm. I pressed my clutch in while keeping my finger on it. The button extends a pretty good distance before it is fully released. Also, I removed my clutch spring over a year ago and have not had any issues. Though, I have a 2016, which doesn't have no lift shift.
So I just put back the stock spring w/ stock bracket, and I can see a clear difference in how much the button gets depressed, the stock spring is pressing the button in more, whereas the steeda spring still has a little play in it, but the difference is minor (I'd say only 1-2mm at most). Also, I'm thinking it might just be the bracket being different, I have a friend who just ordered the spring without the bracket, will check with him on how the button behaves, for now I'm sticking with the stock spring.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92949&highlight=motoiq

Power Pack 2 is by far the best bang for the buck. Additionally, it's not $500 more, it's $200 more for a much better curve and gains. Take a look at the dyno's in the link above. It's kinda a no brainer.
Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 1.03.26 PM.png

OP
OP

JustaMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I'd be paying labor. I can't imagine the PP1 is more than an hour to install, so I take that into account as well. The graph doesn't show me IAT temps, some report over 20 degrees above stock on the freeway even. Not to mention water issues I may have down the road. I live in Houston where when it rains you better have your rowboat handy. The box is placed right under the hood vent. Different than the GT350 design. This is my biggest gripe.

From Billyj himself on the thread you posted:
There are only increased IATs when the car is stopped due to the 'hot air intake' of the GT350 intake system, which sucks in hot engine bay air. When moving, most of the air is taken from the front grill so there is very little AIT differences. However a proper closed airbox (like stock) is a much better design and why you never see 'hot air intakes' in professional motorsports.
Like I said, some people report way above stock IAT temps even when driving.

Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I'd be paying labor. I can't imagine the PP1 is more than an hour to install, so I take that into account as well. The graph doesn't show me IAT temps, some report over 20 degrees above stock on the freeway even. Not to mention water issues I may have down the road. I live in Houston where when it rains you better have your rowboat handy. The box is placed right under the hood vent. Different than the GT350 design. This is my biggest gripe.

From Billyj himself on the thread you posted:

Like I said, some people report way above stock IAT temps even when driving.
Not trying to convince you either way, but even that ^ quote indicates it's not a huge concern.

Power Pack 2 offers huge value and would be great for a daily driver meanwhile Power Pack 3 offers objectively better performance and acceleration for reduced lap times on track, while completely transforming the engine which now screams to redline like a high revving BOSS 302, GT350, or M3.
I paid 2 hours of install time - $210 total + tax.

I'm in Dallas and been through several down pours since it was installed 5 months ago and no issues at all. Buy a filter cover if you're worried about it. As far as I can tell the rain is redirected away from it anyway. There is a whole thread about the placement you can find if you search. I've seen no one with any issue as you've described, just conjecture by a few people. And, as I mentioned, I've not seen massively increased temperatures.

I understand if you're on a budget, but PP2 would be the way to go for value vs performance. If you ask Levittown Ford for a discount code really nicely the price difference is only $190 plus the install difference (maybe an extra hour of labor at the most). Even if you decide to stick with PP1 getting that discount code will help with shipping. :thumbsup:

OP
OP

JustaMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely look into that. I just hate the idea of a hot intake box. How are your IATs in super hot weather? (Like 90+)? Is it sluggish at all with the a/c on around town and stuff?

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely look into that. I just hate the idea of a hot intake box. How are your IATs in super hot weather? (Like 90+)? Is it sluggish at all with the a/c on around town and stuff?
I’ve not had a really hot day in Dallas yet probably high 80s maybe low 90s at the most since it was installed in early November. But I can tell you it’s never felt sluggish or lacked for power on those warm days.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Yesterday outside temp was ~73F. On the highway when my car was warmed up my IAT was 80-82. In traffic I was 89-92. I took pictures, and will try and post them later today.

Lure32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Looking for the stock 185lb Clutch assist spring. Cant find anywhere that has it to order. Any help would be great. Having some issues with the power pack 2 and NLS with the steeda clutch spring.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Having some issues with the power pack 2 and NLS with the steeda clutch spring.
As Chad1986 stated;
Stretch the Steeda Spring.

I’ve been suggesting this for a year or so to help tighten up peddle free play w/Steeda’s spring.
Stretch it to 3.25” over all length.
You won’t regret it and won’t ever look back.

Lure32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
How did you stretch out the Steeda spring to 3.25
As Chad1986 stated;
Stretch the Steeda Spring.

I’ve been suggesting this for a year or so to help tighten up peddle free play w/Steeda’s spring.
Stretch it to 3.25” over all length.
You won’t regret it and won’t ever look back.
from the factory it’s a little over 2.5 in, I’m having trouble getting that extra length stretched out.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I ran PP1 with the steeda spring for 30k miles, NLS worked great when the clutch would allow it.
Sponsored