Sponsored

Bret Barber's Ported 2018+ Throttle Bodies - Info / Pics Inside, Available Now, no tuning needed

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
AFS and Brett barber the same thing? I've only dealt directly with Brett. But I have a his ported TB, mani, pmas and headers with E85.
Yes Brett owns AFS.
Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Not sure if Bret Barber makes a new butterfly after he bores out the TB but I really like how Maxbore adds that in. Seems like a more complete job that way.
Bret @ Air Flow Solutions (AFS) uses the OEM throttle blade, he doesn't alter the aperture size and still gains 250ish CFM's
George @ Maxbore changes the aperture size, requiring a new resized throttle blade.

Apples for Apples,
Gaining CFM without altering the OEM sized aperture is the better way to go.

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Might be a dumb question... but given all the facts, why are so many TB’s throwing codes or having performance issues? (PBD users not Lund)

Has anyone heard from Brett on this?
It was a “bad” TB is not very informative

Would be great to know why this is the case for everyone’s benefit

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Might be a dumb question... but given all the facts, why are so many TB’s throwing codes or having performance issues? (PBD users not Lund)

Has anyone heard from Brett on this?
It was a “bad” TB is not very informative

Would be great to know why this is the case for everyone’s benefit
Good question... I too would like to get to the bottom of this. I tried the AFS TB with both AED and Lund E85 tunes. Both did the same thing, limp mode and codes P2112 & P2119. I emailed AFS, they said to use PBD. I emailed PBD and asked if they could tune it, they said it was a bad TB. That's all the info I have. Stock TB works great.

Last edited:

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Bret @ Air Flow Solutions (AFS) uses the OEM throttle blade, he doesn't alter the aperture size and still gains 250ish CFM's
George @ Maxbore changes the aperture size, requiring a new resized throttle blade.

Apples for Apples,
Gaining CFM without altering the OEM sized aperture is the better way to go.
Not sure if it is apples to apples. If Bret is tapering the TB inlet giving it a venturi effect, I can see this having a different effect than someone like George who is keeping a consistent diameter throughout the TB and making a small taper at the front of the TB for a venturi effect. At the end of the day, air flow may be air flow but if the computer is throwing codes based on differences in how the TB is modified, I would say their processes could make a big difference. Again, I personally like the idea of boring out the TB and creating a new butterfly valve. Seems like a more complete process. That is my personal, non-engineering opinion though.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
if the computer is throwing codes based on differences in how the TB is modified,
Is the Code due to the modded TB or is it a relearn issue ?
Are those experiencing issue with the modded TB performing the TB relearn procedure or just bolting on the TB w/o relearn procedure ?

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Is the Code due to the modded TB or is it a relearn issue ?
Are those experiencing issue with the modded TB performing the TB relearn procedure or just bolting on the TB w/o relearn procedure ?
There seem to be instances where the correct process was followed and they still received codes. Again, not sure as the information seems inconsistent. Though my point wasn't so much as being tolerant of improper installation, my point was the process involved with each solution is different which may yield different results when installed.

This isn't a hit on either company. I'm not sure how the computer makes a decision when it throws the code nor have I seen a CFD of the before and after airflow changes with each solution. Without this, there is really no way to know if it is improper installation or process change that is causing the errors.

SDAMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Anyone having issues with the ported TB, or ported Manifold, or both, on the stock tune?

Sponsored

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
I'm back to oem throttle body and intake manifold. Already my car feels better in general driving conditions. I did a quick 80% throttle pull on the highway on the way back from the shop and boy did it pull HARD. Before, it would fall flat on its face as it approached 7k rpms.

So a ported intake manifold and ported throttle body wasn't good for my case. AFS is giving me a refund after I send them the ported manifold.

Rob Shoemaker at PBD does my tuning.

Leshik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oksana
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10r80
same setup i guess i didnt get lucky with TB. but manifold works great!!!

GTMAN2012

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrod
Vehicle(s)
2012 mustang gt
I had a afs throttle body on my 12 GT car ran great and always idled perfectly.

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
So with the stock throttle body and stock intake manifold I made MORE power than with the ported throttle body and ported intake manifold on my 2018 GT 10 speed.

476whp with stock tb and stock manifold.

469whp with ported tb and ported intake manifold.

Good thing I'm getting a refund from AFS.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
476whp with stock tb and stock manifold.

469whp with ported tb and ported intake manifold.
-7 HP
I understand a loss is a loss but what is the typical Dyno +/- margin of error base on percentage ?

Was the time base rate to max engine RPM different from stock to ported ? ie. the rate of acceleration
Sponsored

Last edited: