New Engine required :(

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
Created a new topic in relation to my older posts, to highlight the issue.

I've purchased a brand new 2019 S550. Ran it in gently, and didnt exceed 4k RPM until 1.5k miles.

Car has been running brilliant with no unusual noises, knocks or bangs.

Did my first oil change at 1.5k miles. This is where it began. I found tonnes of metal shavings in my oil, which looked like manufacturing swarf. Thought nothing of it but took pictures and showed the dealer.

Dealer asked to look at the car and have copys of photos. Ford technical advised the removal of the oil sump and pickup strainer to clean out remaining deposits.

Dealer had taken this apart today and found a lot more 'swarf'. BUT they had again contacted ford with more pictures and they recon they are metal chunks which have come off the piston skirts and there is a lot of it ! So I have received a call to say Ford technical have advised and authorised the fitting of a new engine.

Not impressed on a car which only has 2.5k miles on it! But such is life. I'm so glad I haven't started any mods yet!

The moral of the story is do that initial oil change guys, screw the famous tick, get it done. I'd have been none the wiser if I left the oil change until the first service.

So now I'm waiting to hear back for a replacement loan car, possibly a kuga, but it's not the same :(
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
at least its a no questions asked engine swap for you

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yikes, sorry to hear this! Sounds like a lengthy ordeal...hope your dealership is up to the task. With the weather turning, having a non Mustang courtesy car has its advantages. You should be able to get something back through Ford/Ford finance too in the way of compensation (you shouldn't have to go for extended periods without your car if you're paying for it).

Keep us posted.

OP
OP
Adz

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
As hinch said, they asked no questions and advised me more so. They know me well as I've had relations that have worked as a mechanic at the dealer so that also has its advantages!

Just so glad I didnt map it as I was originally planning just after taking delivery or it could have been a huge cost on my part.

And again just glad I carried out my own oil change or it might have been ignored for a long while and might not have been picked up at the first service either.

Car has been running sweet though, I would have thought I would have heard if the engine was practically shaving itself lol

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
be interesting to see the inside of the cylinders tbh as the shavings you put in the other look more like machining swarf not the result of bits coming off a cast skirt cracking up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Adz

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
For anyone interested in photos: Any Sump Plug Alternative?

be interesting to see the inside of the cylinders tbh as the shavings you put in the other look more like machining swarf not the result of bits coming off a cast skirt cracking up.
That's what I and the dealer originally thought, until they took the sump off. Not sure how much they can see up to the bottom of the pistons from the sump area.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Does seem to be a few issues with the engines on the 18+ models but at least there was not any push back from Ford

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
a very incomplete cleaning after machining operations.

OP
OP
Adz

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
I'll ask a few more questions when I'm at the dealer tomorrow to pick up the loan car, I'm interested to know what they looked at to know if it came from the skirt(s). I'd rather a new engine than a complete tear down of the existing engine.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
yeah stick an endoscope up you'd get to the bottom of the pistons from the sump no problem once windage tray and lift pipe is off.

those do look like bits out of a lathe / cnc process rather than chunks of the bottom of the pistons these pistons are quite chunky and cast you'd expect to lose bits in much larger chunks than that unless its a total casting failure but you'd have expected the entire thing to disintegrate as soon as you put your foot down then i'd have thought

instead of letting them scrap the block see if they'll let you have it all heads/cams whole lot if they will let me know i'll give you some cash for it :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Adz

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
Luckily theres a coyote engine available in Germany and should be here by Wednesday so hopefully shouldn't be without the car for too long. Just gutted I will have to run her in again!

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
yeah stick an endoscope up you'd get to the bottom of the pistons from the sump no problem once windage tray and lift pipe is off.

those do look like bits out of a lathe / cnc process rather than chunks of the bottom of the pistons these pistons are quite chunky and cast you'd expect to lose bits in much larger chunks than that unless its a total casting failure but you'd have expected the entire thing to disintegrate as soon as you put your foot down then i'd have thought

instead of letting them scrap the block see if they'll let you have it all heads/cams whole lot if they will let me know i'll give you some cash for it :)
Engines are one of the only things that actually go back to Ford in a warranty repair as they like to actually strip them down and see the issue so sadly highly unlikely they are going to let you keep it! Most stuff just gets chucked in the skip after being authorised under warranty.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
They are some astonishing lumps of metal - it will be interesting to see where they have come from and whether an engine change was actually required. I find it hard to believe you can lose chunks like that and have a normally functioning engine if it is piston related.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
those slivers look like fly-cutter chips. They could be drill chips too. The engine block wasn't properly cleaned when it came off the mill.