Sponsored

High HP 3" exhaust resonator fitment issue.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I ended up doing the job myself. I cut off the 2 1/4" chock down off my 3" Kooks mid pipes and welded on 3" extensions and used the H section from my MBRP exhaust. I used the single tube 3" R1017 MBRP long resonator tubes 22" body instead of a case design. The tone is really deep, and not to loud at idle and cruising, but as soon as some throttle and loud hit, it's very deep and loud. I also used 3" TORCA style clamps on both ends of the H and resonators so it drops in and out easily.

Resonator
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OAXOWC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TORCA clamps
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hooker-Headers-41173HKR-Stainless-Steel-Coupler/163373592318?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
58282965289__80B6A3D6-78DD-4BB4-921B-93F17B5E378A.JPG
sGinWwJWSTGaUkx5BGHxzg.jpg
NgBZ3ELfRYiLiDDknrRztw.jpg
So would you say you are happy with the sound now?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
So would you say you are happy with the sound now?
Yes very happy with the Deep tone and 0
Rasp. It’s thunderously loud when you hit it hard, but love that.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Glad you got it sorted out. Hopefully this will fix your stuck at 730whp issue!

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Glad you got it sorted out. Hopefully this will fix your stuck at 730whp issue!
Thanks man. I’m m changing a couple more things. Exhaust all 3”, less meth (smaller nozzle) and a complete FORE L2 fuel system. I was running out of fuel from 770-8k even with meth.

ninjacoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
Yes very happy with the Deep tone and 0
Rasp. It’s thunderously loud when you hit it hard, but love that.
I was looking to do exactly what you tried here in this thread. It’s a shame that Magnaflow resonated X doesn’t fit. I’m going to do exactly what you have done here. Replace my X with an H and two single resonators. Looking for a deeper quieter tone for normal driving and startup without the rasp when I get on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I was looking to do exactly what you tried here in this thread. It’s a shame that Magnaflow resonated X doesn’t fit. I’m going to do exactly what you have done here. Replace my X with an H and two single resonators. Looking for a deeper quieter tone for normal driving and startup without the rasp when I get on it.
Yeah I was really surprised at how well these sound with a large H before the resonators. I also have straight through oval 5x9 knockoff mufflers build just like Magnaflows. I’ll get some video a post it here.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I ended up doing the job myself. I cut off the 2 1/4" chock down off my 3" Kooks mid pipes and welded on 3" extensions and used the H section from my MBRP exhaust. I used the single tube 3" R1017 MBRP long resonator tubes 22" body instead of a case design. The tone is really deep, and not to loud at idle and cruising, but as soon as some throttle and loud hit, it's very deep and loud. I also used 3" TORCA style clamps on both ends of the H and resonators so it drops in and out easily.

Resonator
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OAXOWC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TORCA clamps
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hooker-Headers-41173HKR-Stainless-Steel-Coupler/163373592318?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
58282965289__80B6A3D6-78DD-4BB4-921B-93F17B5E378A.JPG
sGinWwJWSTGaUkx5BGHxzg.jpg
NgBZ3ELfRYiLiDDknrRztw.jpg
I finally got around to making a video with sound clips of my custom exhaust setup. It’s not loud cruising and no drone. Cold starts aren’t really loud either.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
In for results!
Also @MagnaFlow can you guys please update your website and packaging?
The 12469 is shown on your website as a “tru x” when it is in fact what might be called a double Y (Eg. It’s twin 3” in and out but the centre section is single 3”) and your 12599 clearly is NOT the dimensions stated on both the packaging and the website.
It matters!

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
12469 sounded good, but I would bottom out everywhere with my car lowered 1 inch with votgland springs. I did a before and after dyno and was within 10 hp between the straight X pipe vs the resonated y pipe. I ended up going with a custom H-pipe and a pair of MRBP resonators and the car sounds great and doesn't bottom out. I stil get a fair amount of drone when under load, but it is manageable to live with. I'm not sure if its possible to have a true 3 inch system all the way back without ANY drone.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
12469 sounded good, but I would bottom out everywhere with my car lowered 1 inch with votgland springs. I did a before and after dyno and was within 10 hp between the straight X pipe vs the resonated y pipe. I ended up going with a custom H-pipe and a pair of MRBP resonators and the car sounds great and doesn't bottom out. I stil get a fair amount of drone when under load, but it is manageable to live with. I'm not sure if its possible to have a true 3 inch system all the way back without ANY drone.
Now I’m very curious.
What power were you making at the wheels at the time?
Also, what were you running in terms of exhaust setup at the time?
LT’s? Cats or no cats?
Was it the same dyno? Same day?

Last edited:

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Now I’m very curious.
What power were you making at the wheels at the time?
Also, what were you running in terms of exhaust setup at the time?
LT’s? Cats or no cats?
Was it the same dyno? Same day?
786 rwhp/ 592 ft-lbs SAE on 93 octane on DYNAPACKS SAEwas my highest dyno pull ever. This was with LT, no cats, and 3 inch X-pipe (Whipple Tune modified with HP Tuners to enable per cylinder knock control and all guardian features turned off. Royal purple octane booster).....I have the data logs from HP tuners for this pull posted up on the forums somewhere. Peak boost was 13.1 and peaking timing was over 23 degrees on some cylinders. Kind of crazy for 93 octane and octane booster, but knock sensors were happy.

777 rwhp and 572 ft-lbs on Dynojet STD. This was same everything mod wise, but with a 3 inch custom H-pipe in place of the X-pipe as I thought it would help get rid of the raspiness (Whipple Tune modified with HP Tuners to enable per cylinder knock control and all guardian features turned off. Lucas Oil octane booster)

764 rwhp and 572 ft-lbs on Dynojet STD. This was same everything mod wise, but with resonated magnaflow y-pipe. This was the same Dynojet dyno as above a few weeks later when they were having dyno day. (Whipple Tune modified with HP Tuners to enable per cylinder knock control and all guardian features turned off. Lucas Oil octane booster)

Most recent dyno on new aluminator motor, 95 lbs injectors, BAP, 93 octane and a bottle a boostane shot (96 octane) with Palm Beach Dyno tune, same 3.625 pulley as above runs, same Dynojet dyno, made 717 whp and 559 ft-lbs with 19 degrees of timing. Exhaust was the 3 inch H-Pipe, but with MBRP resonators (my current setup). Since that time PBD provided me with a 22.5 degree tune to use with 93 octane + octane booster. I haven't dyno'd that tune yet, but the data logs show over 86 lbs/min on the MAF which is more than the 84 lbs/ min I saw on the prior whipple tune when I made the 786whp Dynapack and 777whp Dynojet pulls. I predict next time I dyno with this tune it will be in the 780-800 whp range as it sure feels a bit stronger than the whipple tune.

Last edited:

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
@Roh92cp I wish I saw this thread sooner, I went down this exact road and ended up with the same results.

@stang17 I welded in some Magnaflow Magnaflow 12229 3" in place of my MBRP mufflers. No drone....and pretty tame.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
786 rwhp/ 592 ft-lbs SAE on 93 octane on DYNAPACKS SAEwas my highest dyno pull ever. This was with LT, no cats, and 3 inch X-pipe (Whipple Tune modified with HP Tuners to enable per cylinder knock control and all guardian features turned off. Royal purple octane booster).....I have the data logs from HP tuners for this pull posted up on the forums somewhere. Peak boost was 13.1 and peaking timing was over 23 degrees on some cylinders. Kind of crazy for 93 octane and octane booster, but knock sensors were happy.

777 rwhp and 572 ft-lbs on Dynojet STD. This was same everything mod wise, but with a 3 inch custom H-pipe in place of the X-pipe as I thought it would help get rid of the raspiness (Whipple Tune modified with HP Tuners to enable per cylinder knock control and all guardian features turned off. Lucas Oil octane booster)

764 rwhp and 572 ft-lbs on Dynojet STD. This was same everything mod wise, but with resonated magnaflow y-pipe. This was the same Dynojet dyno as above a few weeks later when they were having dyno day. (Whipple Tune modified with HP Tuners to enable per cylinder knock control and all guardian features turned off. Lucas Oil octane booster)

Most recent dyno on new aluminator motor, 95 lbs injectors, BAP, 93 octane and a bottle a boostane shot (96 octane) with Palm Beach Dyno tune, same 3.625 pulley as above runs, same Dynojet dyno, made 717 whp and 559 ft-lbs with 19 degrees of timing. Exhaust was the 3 inch H-Pipe, but with MBRP resonators (my current setup). Since that time PBD provided me with a 22.5 degree tune to use with 93 octane + octane booster. I haven't dyno'd that tune yet, but the data logs show over 86 lbs/min on the MAF which is more than the 84 lbs/ min I saw on the prior whipple tune when I made the 786whp Dynapack and 777whp Dynojet pulls. I predict next time I dyno with this tune it will be in the 780-800 whp range as it sure feels a bit stronger than the whipple tune.
Thanks for the info. I can’t work out how it isn’t a restriction but clearly it’s not really hurting the performance.
Looks to me like it would offer a fair bit of noise suppression (decent amount of packing around the single 3” section).
Cheers

ninjacoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
Thanks for the info. I can’t work out how it isn’t a restriction but clearly it’s not really hurting the performance.
Looks to me like it would offer a fair bit of noise suppression (decent amount of packing around the single 3” section).
Cheers
It’s not as much of a restriction because if it’s properly located in the system the exhaust pulses are not competing for cross section bank to bank. Think of the pressure waves (pulses) from one side reaching the x or Y section and “seeing” both exhausts as an outlet to escape. This of course is all dependent on the speed of the pulses (RPM) and at some point along the powerband this is ideal and you pick up ho over straight pipe or it becomes a log jam and starts costing power.

Like a line of cars entering a merge at one point they can flow through easily one behind the other as they get closer they can actually start “drafting” one another into the merge then Bam bottleneck
Sponsored

Last edited: