Sponsored

Is that....surface rust around my trunk?

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
So I was loading some goodies into the trunk of my car today when lo and behold, what do I see? What appears to be surface rust spots along my trunk sides.

One side is worse than the other. If it isn't rust, it is PERSISTENT because I hit it with every solvent known to man and enough elbow grease to need a second person to come help. Now yes, I know Mustangs are famous for rusting around the trunk seals. But a NEW one? At 1,200 miles?

Has anyone else developed this yet? Am I wrong on my diagnosis? Is it worth a dealer trip?

Just got through lemoning my '18 F-150 and bought this as the replacement. Please don't tell me I'm headed in THAT direction again.
20190923_171311.jpg
Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Looks like rust, but looks like maybe from an outside source. Near any steel plants, manufacturing etc..
Apply some type of naval jelly on it every few days for a week or so. It should clear it up if its topical. Is that trunk strut leaking any fluid?

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
So I was loading some goodies into the trunk of my car today when lo and behold, what do I see? What appears to be surface rust spots along my trunk sides.

One side is worse than the other. If it isn't rust, it is PERSISTENT because I hit it with every solvent known to man and enough elbow grease to need a second person to come help. Now yes, I know Mustangs are famous for rusting around the trunk seals. But a NEW one? At 1,200 miles?

Has anyone else developed this yet? Am I wrong on my diagnosis? Is it worth a dealer trip?

Just got through lemoning my '18 F-150 and bought this as the replacement. Please don't tell me I'm headed in THAT direction again.
20190923_171311.jpg
Try 0000 steel wool with a little WD40, buff lightly.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I'm sorry, but I have to ask. What the heck in naval jelly?!

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

If it were me.....I'd take a piece of cut-up buffing pad (I cut up an orange Lake Country for use on stuff like this), and go after it with some compound. If it doesn't come off, it's not topical. Ford will need to sand & re-spray before it goes deeper.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
OP
OP
The_Phantom

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Thanks for the replies guys.

I will see what I can do with some of your suggestions. Also, no, the strut does not appear to be leaking any fluid that I can tell.

I'll keep an eye on it. I know it's a small issue but I'd like to address it while it is still limited in scope. Will update once I get some free time to try a few things with it.

GMB Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 16 Escape, 21 F250 (all Ruby Red)
Vehicle Showcase
That looks like rust from some metal left over from mounting something, did you have to drill for a spoiler on the trunk,If so you will need to compound that area and remove the rust particles that were hot from drilling and attacked the paint.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
That is not rust from the underlying metal, it is iron particles that have embedded into the clear coat, and are now rusting.

A clay bar should pull those particles out of the paint and you will no longer have this problem. Solvent, and/or buffing compound will not pull the particles out of the paint. A clay bar w/lubricant will. The car, more-than-likely, picked up the iron particles during transportation and/or while sitting on a dealer lot.

In short, this is nothing to get too upset over and it's relatively easy to fix. I wouldn't bother with taking it to a dealership for a warranty claim as they may make the problem worse with an incorrect attempt to fix it.

Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)

Well, that's a new product to me. Never heard of naval jelly. And sorry, but no millennial here. Just became eligible for AARP!

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I get this on white painted cars only. Both our Si and Kia Forte have small brown spots in the paint. if you scrub really hard with a microfibre towel and soapy water it does come off. Just a royal pain in the a$$

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
Well, that's a new product to me. Never heard of naval jelly. And sorry, but no millennial here. Just became eligible for AARP!
It's just a product with phosphoric acid as its base ingredient. Phosphoric acid is used in many off-the-shelf rust removers, but I'd avoid using any on your paint. Hit it with a clay bar, and follow up with a paint sealant or wax. If it remains after that, you might need to resort to a chemical designed specifically for automotive applications; something from Adam's Polishes, Chemical Guys, etc.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I can't believe you have never seen this in the aisle with all the other jams and jellies!

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
I can't believe you have never seen this in the aisle with all the other jams and jellies!
When I saw naval jelly, I wasn't sure if I should check my belly button or head to the neareat shipyard. :crazy:
Sponsored