TPMS necessary?

Chuckles the 3rd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Aside from the annoying alarm, is there a reason to put tpms sensors in my drag pack wheels that will only be used for the occasional 1/4 runs? I just want to make sure that it won’t do something wonky like send the car into limp mode after a prescribed distance.

Thanks
Chuck
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Aside from the annoying alarm, is there a reason to put tpms sensors in my drag pack wheels that will only be used for the occasional 1/4 runs? I just want to make sure that it won’t do something wonky like send the car into limp mode after a prescribed distance.

Thanks
Chuck
It will not - I have no TPMS sensors in two sets of wheels I use to autocross, car is fine. In fact I drove on of them to work entire last week...

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Had tpms in my last set of drag wheels. When I lowered the pressure to race, then tpms light cam on say psi was low LOL. So 2nd set, no sensors considering light is gonna be on anyway.

Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
If it bothers you, 4 TPMS sensors can be had from eBay for $39.00 and they work perfectly.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
It even takes a little while for the light it illum on the dash, I used to make a 25 minute drive down the highway before it would come on. I never noticed any performance issues just the light on the dash.

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost NFG
It's been a week since I installed a set of wheels without TPMS. The light still haven't light up. But I only do short trips to work. Less than 5 miles.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
It's been a week since I installed a set of wheels without TPMS. The light still haven't light up. But I only do short trips to work. Less than 5 miles.
Do you wheels with TPMS stored somewhere near the car - like in the garage ? Those sensor are probably being read. It takes about 20 minute drive for the car to show an TPMS error.

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost NFG
It takes me around 15 mins to get to work. It must be why it haven't light up yet. The wheels aren't stored close to the car.
Sponsored