Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I thought you wanted a powertrain warranty. I am sure a Lund tuned EB stage II would be a great setup, though. Each of the kits have their pros and cons. I like that Roush has an association with Ford and they have a powertrain warranty but the basic design has flaws. I like the EB because of the powertrain warranty but I hear too many complaints of drivability - both online and from guys in my area who install them. I REALLY like the Whipple stage II and it is highly recommended by the installers in my area but there is no warranty.

Apparently, I am in the minority but I prefer not to spend nearly $10,000 for an installed kit and then have to fork out another $1000 for a custom tune to get good daily drivability. Along with the increased power of the custom tune goes greater chances of driveline breakage so I prefer to keep the tune that comes with the kit and make do without the extra HP that a custom tune will bring. At the end of the day, I will probably just go Whipple stage II and forget about a powertrain warranty.
Talk to someone who sells all 3. Out of the 3 I talked to not one tried to steer me away from Roush and it's warranty. They had nothing but great things to say about the Roush warranty. When I asked who was better between whipple and edleborck it was hands down whipple if warranty isn't an issue.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I was thinking of at least trying the Stage 2 93 canned tune first, then if I don’t like it I can always retune it via Lund.

Like u like the Roush for the Ford partnership but it heat soaks so badly.

Whipple power comes on a bit later, I like the TVS design better
You don't know it heat soaks so badly. I'm still waiting on someone with the new setup, that isn't trying to make runs in 100 degrees at noon in texas, to confirm that.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I haven't ruled anything out. I am waiting to see what the phase 2 Roush is like. I have the luxury of time since winter will be here in Minnesota before too long.

As for power coming on at higher rpm like the whipple, I am OK with that. Too much torque just off idle or at low rpm creates more wheelspin and greater stress on halfshafts. I am sure the Whipple has plenty on the low end, anyway, even if it isn't quite as much as others.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You don't know it heat soaks so badly. I'm still waiting on someone with the new setup, that isn't trying to make runs in 100 degrees at noon in texas, to confirm that.

There’s countless posts about heat soak on the roush from owners, then look at the size of the intercooler brick, on top of the small front inlet. I really like the Roush, I like the warranty, I like the partnership with Ford but let’s be honest, the other 2 kits are a bit superior.

Edelbrock makes crazy power
Same with whipple

Both of them have had tuning issues on their canned tunes. I do agree with you whole heartedly, I don’t live in Texas, I live in Pa and we have cool dense air and a fast track in NJ (Atco) plus i’m not stupid, I realize you don’t hammer on a boosted car in 95 degrees with IAT’s approaching 140+ but there’s no denying Roush units tend to heat soak a bit , Hell there’s a post now where a guy installed a Whipple and that’s a heat soak machine? He changed to an Edelbrock and it’s dropped serious IAT’s

One thing I think and seen is roush has gotten their tune dialed in now. You don’t hear Roush guys complaining about tuning much and that interest me.

I want factory like drivability, especially when i’m Paying 7500-10000 on one of these kits and yes a warranty would be nice too.

I guess your right, I’d to hear from Roush guys with the latest tune, ltr and tb to see what they report and I too haven’t made a decision on which setup I will get.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I think the Whipple canned tune is excellent, too. The tech who I will have do the installation says it is as good as Roush and that the Whipple people are very responsive.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I think the Whipple canned tune is excellent, too. The tech who I will have do the installation says it is as good as Roush and that the Whipple people are very responsive.
Here what turned me off about whipple, they do have a warranty so when I hit the tech up via email he blew me off and sent me to 3rd party warranty company information.

All I asked was can I race the whipple on a R tire? Don’t u think a whipple tech could at least have that knowledge or info on hand?

Kinda pissed me off, almost like they don't wanna tell u anything that might cause them to be held accountable?

U sell a product, just tell me can I race it on a tire or not? That’s all I wanted to know, nope, sent me to the 3rd party warranty?

Nonsense...

Roush said go ahead, just change the oil every 3k miles. To me that sez something, Edelbrock, no R tire

I just don’t get it, do these companies think people just polish their cars?

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
There’s countless posts about heat soak on the roush from owners, then look at the size of the intercooler brick, on top of the small front inlet. I really like the Roush, I like the warranty, I like the partnership with Ford but let’s be honest, the other 2 kits are a bit superior.

Edelbrock makes crazy power
Same with whipple

Both of them have had tuning issues on their canned tunes. I do agree with you whole heartedly, I don’t live in Texas, I live in Pa and we have cool dense air and a fast track in NJ (Atco) plus i’m not stupid, I realize you don’t hammer on a boosted car in 95 degrees with IAT’s approaching 140+ but there’s no denying Roush units tend to heat soak a bit , Hell there’s a post now where a guy installed a Whipple and that’s a heat soak machine? He changed to an Edelbrock and it’s dropped serious IAT’s

One thing I think and seen is roush has gotten their tune dialed in now. You don’t hear Roush guys complaining about tuning much and that interest me.

I want factory like drivability, especially when i’m Paying 7500-10000 on one of these kits and yes a warranty would be nice too.

I guess your right, I’d to hear from Roush guys with the latest tune, ltr and tb to see what they report and I too haven’t made a decision on which setup I will get.
Speedshop I got a whipple quote from had nothing but good things to say about it but warranty was not a selling point. Keep in mind they also felt it needed better cooling with an upgraded radiator and upgraded Whipple LTR if I went with a custom tune and planned on more power. They of course recommended a carbon driveshaft, OPG, and BMR products if that was my end game. Things can get crazy once you start talking about low 10's\high 9's

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Speedshop I got a whipple quote from had nothing but good things to say about it but warranty was not a selling point. Keep in mind they also felt it needed better cooling with an upgraded radiator and upgraded Whipple LTR if I went with a custom tune and planned on more power. They of course recommended a carbon driveshaft, OPG, and BMR products if that was my end game. Things can get crazy once you start talking about low 10's\high 9's

Exactly, I dont want a race car
Been there a few times

I want a street car that runs 10.80@127 on a drag radial, that’s it

Good manners, ac works, doesn’t stall, no surging. Just a fast street car, that’s it

Maybe the Roush is what I want, oh geez am I nuts

Last edited:

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I have emailed both Roush and Whipple and have gotten quick informative responses from both. I didn't ask about warranties, though. If I go Whipple, it will be stage 2 and I don't think there is any warranty with that.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have emailed both Roush and Whipple and have gotten quick informative responses from both. I didn't ask about warranties, though. If I go Whipple, it will be stage 2 and I don't think there is any warranty with that.
So u like me are starting to say, no warranty? The only draw back to a custom tuned setup for me, will it pass PA emissions

That’s the deal breaker, if only a canned tune kit passes emissions then that’s the way I’ll go. It’s gotta be able to pass or I go canned tuning

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Been there a few times

Good manners, ac works, doesn’t stall, no surging. Just a fast street car, that’s it

One thing I like about the Dodge's is they put chillers on their top of the line cars (Redeye and demon) that actually have a functioning AC and don't leak all over the track. Also tuned for 100 octane. That's a nice factory setup.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
So u like me are starting to say, no warranty? The only draw back to a custom tuned setup for me, will it pass PA emissions

That’s the deal breaker, if only a canned tune kit passes emissions then that’s the way I’ll go. It’s gotta be able to pass or I go canned tuning
How many miles a year do you drive your Mustang?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I think the engine and driveline are robust enough to handle a 10.8 ET capable kit....especially with upgraded halfshafts and cradle lockout kit which I already have.

Other than powertrain, the rest of the warranty is still intact from Ford so things like electrical, HVAC system, sound system, etc. are still covered for 3/36.

Of course, I would prefer powertrain coverage but I could live without it.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Been there a few times
LMFAO
You are nuts!!! lol I keep reading your posts,.....back and forth, forth and back. lol
Just get the Roush kit with the A10 and I'm sure you will get very, very close to 10's @127 on the Phase 1. I'm on my second Roush Stage 3 and I love it. I never take my cars to the drag strip or the auto-x/road course. I use it on super nice days only for cruising. You can't go wrong. My base car cost over 50k, then added the Roush options. Almost every single option checked off.
AND,..............no worries with emissions with the Roush. Massachusetts is a killer with emissions as well. (If you're going to do an aftermarket tune,....................VMP all the way. They will still pass emissions and give you a killer finished product. Palm Beach Dyno is another great one, but not sure if they are emissions friendly.)

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
LMFAO
You are nuts!!! lol I keep reading your posts,.....back and forth, forth and back. lol
Just get the Roush kit with the A10 and I'm sure you will get very, very close to 10's @127 on the Phase 1. I'm on my second Roush Stage 3 and I love it. I never take my cars to the drag strip or the auto-x/road course. I use it on super nice days only for cruising. You can't go wrong. My base car cost over 50k, then added the Roush options. Almost every single option checked off.
AND,..............no worries with emissions with the Roush. Massachusetts is a killer with emissions as well. (If you're going to do an aftermarket tune,....................VMP all the way. They will still pass emissions and give you a killer finished product. Palm Beach Dyno is another great one, but not sure if they are emissions friendly.)
The Edlebrock is 50 states legal too
Ahahahaha!!!!

Actually I think the Whipple is too
Ahahahaha!!!!

Stage 3, I guess I am a Loon
Lololol!!!!